ES4: Oblivion - Retrospective Review @ Mortismal Gaming

With a few mods its a fantastic game once you get past the opening part, I must have installed the game 4+ times and every time uninstalled it due to the beginning
of the game, glad I staid with it the last time as it turns in to be one hell of game. 312 hrs on Steam. Probably my favourite elder scrolls.

With a few mods its a fantastic game once you get past the opening part, I must have installed the game 4+ times and every time uninstalled it due to the beginning
of the game, glad I staid with it the last time as it turns in to be one hell of game. 312 hrs on Steam. Probably my favourite elder scrolls.
If you had to point to one or two mods that really made the difference, which one(s) would it be?

If you had to point to one or two mods that really made the difference, which one(s) would it be?

Haven't played it since 2016 so there's probably some better updated ones. I mainly used the patches and some cosmetic/graphic upgrades. Upgrades to the Hud was a must and better dungeons and better cities were good too.

Installed mods:
1705166254207.png

Some of Better Cities I liked, but other parts I hated. It cast too wide a net. Including Blood & Mud killed it for me. Hideous looking NPCs with awful, poorly translated dialogue.

The landscape mod (IIRC it's called Better Landscapes) was one of my favorites. Natural looking changes that just gave the geography more variety.

I remember someone made a Thief-inspired mod for Oblivion that implemented the vine and water arrows and some other things from the Thief series. It was pretty cool though I started to wonder why I wasn't just playing Thief.

The biggest things for me to change always were (in that order): getting rid of level-scaling, better sneaking, better combat (Deadly Reflex mod!) and how to incorporate new items into levelled lists.

I remember I played this with Oscuro's overhaul which dealt with level scaling issues etc - that was a lot more challenging. I did go back to it once, but I just couldn't get into it again - I tried some mods, but everything looks the same - clearly same assets or slightly tweaked versions etc and for some reason that doesn't appeal to me. I did like that total conversion mod, Nehrim. I want to play something that looks/feels different, not just more content in ES4 world.

Back
Top Bottom