Colony Ship - Review

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Ye Old Entertainment reviewed Colony Ship: A Post-Earth Role Playing Game:

Colony Ship Review: A space sci-fi CRPG for true RPG fans.A solid Candidate for the YOE GOTY 2023

The year 2023 has been the best year in gaming in a long time. And in a year in which we have seen killer RPGs of all types and brands from massive triple A titles like Baldur's Gate 3 to impressive indies like Moonring, in rides Colony Ship A Post-Earth Role Playing Game, a space sci-fi, CRPG by Iron Tower, the guys who also brought us Dungeon Rats and The Age of Decadence. This is a title that may very well be best classic RPG to come out since Disco Elysium. Heavily influenced by Fallout but also by sci-fi cinema classics like Blade Runner, this titles is here to make some ripples. It is already a personal favorite and a solid candidate for game of the year.

02:31 - Character Creation & Character Progression
10:48 - Gameplay
18:26 - Story & Lore
28:00 - Companions Lorewise
31:18 - Companions Gameplaywise
32:52 - Secondary Mechanics & UX
35:56 - Sound Effects & Mix
38:26 - Voice Acting
38:42 - Music
40:18 - Graphics
43:24 - Performance & Stability
43:45 - Other Considerations & Final Thoughts
More information.

Weird review. He says "it's one of the best RPGs to come out in recent memory", and calls it a "solid GotY contender", but then he only rates it an 8.5 at the end.

Weird review. He says "it's one of the best RPGs to come out in recent memory", and calls it a "solid GotY contender", but then he only rates it an 8.5 at the end.
Maybe he's afraid that no-one would watch his video otherwise. Extremes sell... :p

5/7 perfect score!

I finished Colony Ship within a couple of weeks of its release, and I can only recommend it. The difficulty is rather steep if you play in standard mode compared to most similar games, but that's a bit of a signature feature for Iron Tower games.

Without being a technical prodigy, or having the production values of other RPGs, it's been a game that I've enjoyed thoroughly, and I'm planning to play again soon. I coincide with the reviewer in that, if this hadn't been the BG3 year, it would have been a very serious contender for RPG of the year.

Where other dark horses like Dark Envoy or For the King 2 fell short, Colony Ship did a full delivery, and that's the best you can ask from smaller studios trying to leave their mark in the over-bloated industry.

9/10, great game.

According to his standards, 8.5 is pretty high. He's very difficult to please.
Yet he thinks Colony Ship is one of the best RPGs in recent memory? Idk, I just wasn't that impressed. It seems like a solid game, but one of the best in recent memory seems a bit hyperbolic to me.

I'd say it is one of the best RPGs in recent memory for me too. Almost perfect, except for those goddamn frogs.

I do agree with him that the game could benefit from some more sound effects though it really isn't that important to the experience.

Yet he thinks Colony Ship is one of the best RPGs in recent memory? Idk, I just wasn't that impressed. It seems like a solid game, but one of the best in recent memory seems a bit hyperbolic to me.
I've only played it a little when it was in Early Access, but I wouldn't call it the best RPGs in recent memory either. That's very subjective though.

Back
Top Bottom