Avowed - Deep Dive Video

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
A Deep Dive Video for Avowed that shows some gameplay.

Explore the Living Lands, a mysterious island filled with adventure and danger in this first deep dive into the gameplay experience you can expect in Avowed, our upcoming fantasy action RPG set in the fantastical, vibrant Living Lands.

Learn more about how we incorporate world-building with profound themes, dynamic gameplay, and thoughtful reactivity and bring them to life in Avowed, where you can make choices to shape every step of your adventure.

Avowed will be available Fall 2024 for Xbox Series X|S, Windows 10/11, Steam, and day one with Xbox Game Pass and PC Game Pass.
More information.

Sorry but this looks horribly cartoony and intended for children - was this done by undergraduates on placement (for cheap)? Is this underworld ascendant in disguise?

Your opinion was brought up with the last game-play video from the 2023 summer gaming event. The game director went on the offensive and gave excuses after criticism.

Basically the game was rebooted and it's vision was altered to what it looks like now.

Last edited:
Also Fall 2024 isn't a date it's another estimate subject to a possible delay again.:smartass:

Looking forward to playing as well but it's basically Outer Worlds with Pillars of the Eternity.

Graphics are survivable. Combat looks OK, with some good weapon variety. But... what is the hook?? The setting doesn't impress me at all. They didn't show us any particularly interesting characters or monsters. The little quest they showed wasn't very interesting. (Do you just guess whether the guy is telling the truth, or can you find evidence somewhere!?)

I hope something more will show up before the game saying, "here's why you want to buy our game."

Graphics are survivable. Combat looks OK, with some good weapon variety. But... what is the hook?? The setting doesn't impress me at all. They didn't show us any particularly interesting characters or monsters. The little quest they showed wasn't very interesting. (Do you just guess whether the guy is telling the truth, or can you find evidence somewhere!?)

I hope something more will show up before the game saying, "here's why you want to buy our game."
They didn't, but companies almost never do. Most of what we see is combat and running around. Rarely do trailers get into story stuff much, even for games where story is a major draw.

Here's the Morrowind trailer. Plaudits, landscape, and combat. Not a bit of text anywhere. Nothing about the setting or story.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr3TCWPlDrw

(Btw, I didn't know before I found this that it would back me up, but it totally does. Because this is how RPGs have advertised their games since time immemorial)

I don't think it looks egregiously bad, but I have to agree that it seems too cartoony for something that takes place in the same world as PoE 1&2.

I'm beginning to wonder if they would have been better off creating a new IP instead of using Eora as the setting.

Here's the Morrowind trailer. Plaudits, landscape, and combat. Not a bit of text anywhere. Nothing about the setting or story.
Dude! LOOK AT THOSE GRAPHICS! See how great that rain looks? It's making waves in the water!! The people don't look like they are made of Legos, either. Arx Fatalis didn't look that good and it sure wasn't open world. It didn't have such awesome music, either. The video screaming something all right: AAA

Story is certainly something that's hard to market, though. Companions are easier, but would they have those in multiple translations this early? Still, there's normally something to hook us. A funky magic system, a particularly strange world, a well-known actor, a well-known IP, cool monsters, a really interesting combat mechanic (like climbing monsters), humor, awesome graphics... But I'm not seeing anything yet. There's still plenty of time, but I'm switching to 'cautiously pessimistic' after seeing that.

I'm fine with unremarkable graphics and a combat system, but it does feel very uninspired and rough.
Also first person camera is pretty bad for anything but ranged combat.
The other thing I don't like about melee in first person is how combat tends to become very chaotic and hard to make out what is going on.
I'd rather they just worked on pillars 3.

Last edited:
Personally I thought it looks pretty good. Will have to wait and see how it plays.

It looks ok, I guess. Like @Zloth I don't see anything special to drag me in, in this trailer. Like almost always, I'll wait for after release to see how it turns out.

Meh like Outer Worlds. Pity that they did not keep on making and improving isometric games like OwlCats and Larian. PoE2 was great. I have not managed to connect with their games since then.

Ugh, I wish those marketing people would just shut up in the video. It's as if they had all the recommended boxes to tick: hard decisions: check, consequences: check, reactivity: check... When I hear all this, I have big red caution lights flashing in my head. All the usual promises and the typical showcase quest to prove it... sure. I've already seen those symptoms in presentations for games like Oblivion and CP2077. ;)

I'll just wait for objective previews or reviews to make up my mind about it.

Otherwise, it looks decent. I really hope they make a 3rd-person view because the 1st view isn't convincing with those 2 arms so widely apart, looking as if they belonged to different people, and no good feeling of the personal hit box.

At first glance it looks much better then I expected.
Would be nice if my low expectations about shallow RPG layer would be wrong as well.
Somehow I doubt it though, as I skipped Outer Worlds for the same reason.

Woah, I am underwhelmed. Compare this to the first trailer for Avowed:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3QkO8fy3tg

That had intrigue, mystery and suspense. It made you wonder and long for the game. I still remember that casting animation. Look at this new trailer. Everything is so...flat. The art feels good, and I can get behind the art director's ideas, but I need more from a game than pretty scenery. It feels like combat is swift and very non-impactful, so I'm not hoping for long dragon's dogma-like casting animations for the higher level spells, with characters chanting 'vita, mortis caerum', or whatever. It's probably too late at this point to do something about the weight too. I really don't want my fights to feel like games of tag over and over. Argh, such a shame!

I don't mind the graphics, I think they are beautiful in their own way. What I mind more is the braindead AI and hyper-telegraphed enemy behavior/animations where enemies just stand around staring at you waiting to be hit just doing the "menacing strafe" while they get hit in the face, and then do a long 10-second-windup attack animation that would allow a snail to crawl out of the area of impact. The animation/impact of most of the weapons needs work in general too, though the voiceovers and dialogue animations seem to be slightly better than Starfield, and that's a plus I didn't expect.

They still have time to fix some of those things, so I'll keep my hopes up because I'm optimistic, and if it's any decent of a game I'll play it. To me, at this time, it's just difficult to feel any hype for what's being presented in that video, but it's still a step up from what I had seen previously in some areas, and willing to be surprised.

Back
Top Bottom