Avowed - Deep(er) Dive Video

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Xbox has a video with the game developers that explores Avowed in more detail.

On this bonus episode of the Official Xbox Podcast we dive into even more Avowed gameplay while chatting with Game Director Carrie Patel and Gameplay Director Gabe Paramo. Enjoy!

00:00 Introductions
01:25 What makes Avowed an Obsidian game?
03:19 Mission location
05:19 Combat and weapon loadouts
10:14 Crowd control and elemental damage
12:49 Branching dialogs and companions
16:16 What is Shatterskarp
19:07 What it's like developing the game
22:39 What the Avowed title means
23:43 Final thoughts & goodbye
More information.

The format's more natural and interesting than the promotional Deep Dive video.

It didn't strike me so much before, but the combat and the way the character moves look (and sound) very bad, especially the melee. It feels like hovering a drone in a sim with almost no physical feedback. The game better have some serious story and quest to make up for it - fortunately, it's usually their strong suit. It's nice there are still companions, though.

I'm also a little afraid about what they say on the skills that you can cherry pick. It looks like they're following the same streamlining process as BGS did with TES.

PS: For all of you who dislike respeccing, it's apparently very easy to do in the game. ;)

I dont believe the game is in state to be released next year. Its either MS wishful thinking or they are just lying. It looks as if they have just barebones engine and for promo video sake they are throwing in some enemy models and they bash them with few effects they already implemented. I think it will be delayed or it will be terrible.

It's been in development for four years, and has been rebooted already. So that right there hints at a troubled development, and I agree expect another delay incoming.

Last edited:
I dont believe the game is in state to be released next year. Its either MS wishful thinking or they are just lying. It looks as if they have just barebones engine and for promo video sake they are throwing in some enemy models and they bash them with few effects they already implemented. I think it will be delayed or it will be terrible.
You mean this year? I have a hard time believing it won't be released by next year.

I don't recall ever seeing a big-budget RPG where the early "reveal" videos seem so uninspired and unimpressive. It's like Microsoft told them they had to make an action RPG along the lines of Skyrim (likely exactly what happened), and they're just going through the motions because it's not what anyone there wants to be making.

Yeah, I'm rooting for them but that really does not look good. The enemies' movements are so stiff. It reminds me of a blobber; everyone looks like they're on a grid, and you can almost see them activating animations in real time ("now I do the menacing sword raise", "now I move two squares forward")

What little we saw of the quests didn't look good either, though I'm holding out hope of there being much better content in there.

I'll live through lackluster combat if the other elements of the game are good. This does kinda have flop written all over it, though.

Little bit more info on it from PCGamer: https://www.pcgamer.com/obsidians-n...its-first-person-sword-swinging-feel-weighty/

Apparently Obsidian used another developer “Fatshark, developer of Warhammer's Vermintide and 40k's Darktide,” to do the first person combat mechanics. “Fatshark took Left 4 Dead's formula of mowing down zombies with a frying pan and expanded on it—adding complex systems that sent enemies stumbling and ragdolling in certain directions based on both the weapon type and the angle of attack.”

Any of you played Fatshark games? I haven’t.

Never played Darktide, but I've spent a few hours in both Vermintide games, and "masterclass" isn't what comes to mind when remembering the combat. It wasn't bad though.

I've played a bunch of their games for circa 10-20 hours each and they have always had what I consider to be enjoyable combat so I think that is a good sign. Not the best combat but servicable mechanics and a good amount of tension. I would say slightly better than Skyrim combat. Plenty good enough for an RPG style game.

Back
Top Bottom