The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Piranha Bytes will fight for their future:

Twitter:

PiranhaBytes.png

More information.

Sounds like their searching for a new publisher. Yet without Embracer agreeing to any sale their name and IP's are theirs. Basically they are all but dead at this point in time.🤷‍♂️

If they continue to make open world RPGs everything is fine for me.
Starting a new setting / IP can be a liberation.

There are so many books waiting for being used in RPGs.

A great setting I want to see in an RPG series is the Empire Trilogy for example.

rip
They should team up with the Archolos people and make something like that.
That would make sense since Archolos was a far better game than the last 4 games PB have put out. The only problem is they never once tried to reach out to the Archolos team to tell them they did a good job so I doubt their is any kinship there. There was very few employees left from G1/2 days anyway even before they shut down.

Gothic 1 and 2 are up there with my most loved games ever. Risen 1 was also very fine. But although it makes me sad, I doubt they can be saved. Not sure why anyone woud invest in them today, I certainly wouldnt.

Not sure why anyone woud invest in them today, I certainly wouldnt.
I think it depends a bit on which legal entity has the rights to get the 3 Mio € public funding. If it can somehow be included, then it would be quite an incentive for an invesator. He could invest e.g. 3 Mio € and get a game with a budget of 6 Mio €.

I think it depends a bit on which legal entity has the rights to get the 3 Mio € public funding. If it can somehow be included, then it would be quite an incentive for an invesator. He could invest e.g. 3 Mio € and get a game with a budget of 6 Mio €.
Possible someone would see it as sufficient incentive to go for it, but Embracer itself apparently didnt. Anyway, I dont wish them bad, I just dont see it very optimistic.

Yep, I'm also not optimistic.

Point most of you are missing is PB can't do anything. Like I said above Embracer owns the studio and the IP's. Nothing under the PB name can be developed right now.

Maybe a buyout if Embracer accepts it but more likely a new studio will be formed.

Last edited:
They can do whatever they want. They just can't name it "Gothic", "Risen", or "Elex". I think doing something new might be better for them anyways.

That's assuming they still want to work together as a team vs joining another studio or doing something else entirely.

When the name Piranha Bytes stays with Embracer, they could name their new studio: "The game developers formerly known as Piranha Bytes".

They can do whatever they want. They just can't name it "Gothic", "Risen", or "Elex". I think doing something new might be better for them anyways.

That's assuming they still want to work together as a team vs joining another studio or doing something else entirely.
Hmm not sure it is that simple.

I’m not a lawyer but Embracer may own the code they developed while under them.

That said, starting from scratch is easier this day (Unreal Engine, etc) than way back when. They’d need capital though.

They've been using the same code since well before joining Embracer. ;)
Right. Depends on the agreement they had while being taken over but, for instance, I’ve been part of two companies that were acquired and part of both deals included all prior code including the product names.

Hmm not sure it is that simple.

I’m not a lawyer but Embracer may own the code they developed while under them.

That said, starting from scratch is easier this day (Unreal Engine, etc) than way back when. They’d need capital though.
I am one of the few who loved Elex 2 as much as Elex 1 and the Gothics.

That said, as an advocatus diaboli I would argue: Since they made Gothic in different variants from the beginning up to now, starting from scratch might not be the worst idea for them...

I am one of the few who loved Elex 2 as much as Elex 1 and the Gothics.

That said, as an advocatus diaboli I would argue: Since they made Gothic in different variants from the beginning up to now, starting from scratch might not be the worst idea for them...
I agree.

Personally that’s what I’d want to do.

If the Embracer acquire was a bad experience (not saying it was cause I wasn’t there), it’d feel more fulfilling to start something new.

Back
Top Bottom