Original Sin - Board Game Review

It's a cooperative game, and also a ongoing "campaign" type game. Both of these mechanics are turn-offs for me, but just wanted to point it out for those wondering about the basics of this (20 pounds? Yikes) heavy board game.

Be careful discussing “weight” of a tabletop board game. Means more than one thing in that realm.

1. How complex the systems are to learn (1 being lightest “weight”; ie Candyland)
2. What weight really means, lbs, kg, what have you.

Last edited:
Is it available yet for non-pledgers? I looked around and couldn't find a definite place to order it from.

I'm fine with using the Larian store, it just usually takes weeks to do deliveries in my area.

Also, it's marked as "pre-order" in there, which doesn't seem to imply that it's already available.

I had written this game off early on as another poorly managed IP cash grab board game but to Larian's credit they pushed back on the original design and worked on it until they've managed to pull together what looks like a pretty fun game (though I've not played it yet).

As to the physical weight, the game has a lot of cards and one very big book, and those things add a lot of weight. My latest game (yes, I'm a professional board game designer), has only about 200 cards (vs 1000+ in their game) and only weighs about 3 Kg.

Also, it's marked as "pre-order" in there, which doesn't seem to imply that it's already available.
I run a board game publishing company... A publisher will typically not sell their KS-funded game at "retail" until their KS backers have gotten their copy of the game. Given where they are at with fulfillment on this project, I would expect Larian to start selling games soon (though there's always a chance they'll run out of stocked games, in which case you'll see a gap for their next run of games).

Ah well, I ordered the whole thing with all expansions and extras from Larian, will try to remember to post when it arrives in case anyone cares.

My copy arrived last week - it sure was heavy when the delivery guy dropped it off. I didn't get the extra story expansions because of shelf space. The Kickstarter version came with two extra boxes of miniatures (which I could live without - love minis, but this box didn't really need them). Just wish I had time to play at the moment - this one looks like a big timesink campaign. Seems quite quick to jump into though, unlike some others I could "Gloom"-ily mention!

Back
Top Bottom