Avowed - No Romance

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Interesting interview from Eurogamer with the Avowed leads. One interesting tidbit:

What's going on in Avowed?

[...]

"You can't romance your companions in Avowed," Patel confirms. "I know we did some romances for companions in Deadfire, but the thing we found, which I'm sure any developer who has tried them has found, is that to pay them off, you really have to invest a lot in doing them well. And you also want to balance whatever you're putting into romantic relationships with ensuring that players who don't choose the romance path still have a fulfilling and complete experience with those companions."

[...]
Thanks Soola!

More information.

Romances are ok, if they fit to story and/or to lore and setting of the world. But having them is not essential. Books or movies can also be good or bad with or without romances.
Their argument, that romances are too much effort, wouldn't even be necessary to convince me. Saying that romances are not part of what they want to do, would be completely sufficient for me.

Excuses....excuses....Obsidian suck at writing romance's. Anyway despite opinions on this site that feature has a sizeable percentage of the market that wants romance's.

Anyway Outer worlds lacked romance's as well. Well not true just player romances.

Last edited:
I do like romances of course. It looks to my like the iffy combat previously shown is ALL that there is to the game, if that floats your boat.

I do like romances of course. It looks to my like the iffy combat previously shown is ALL that there is to the game, if that floats your boat.
The need to explain that a pacifist playthrough isn't possible was much more disappointing to me than the revelation that there are no romances. To be clear: Not the fact, that a pacifist style isn't supported (I can live without it), but the need to explicitly mention it.

May be they try to combine the best of all aspects:
- no romance
- no peaceful option
- bad combat.
At least that would be an achievement.

Yeah, it's not looking very promising right now. I still have some hope that exploration might be decent at least.

I liked the footage they showed of the player swimming underwater. If it turns out that there's some meaningful exploration there, I'll at least give it a shot.

Yeah, it's not looking very promising right now. I still have some hope that exploration might be decent at least.

I liked the footage they showed of the player swimming underwater. If it turns out that there's some meaningful exploration there, I'll at least give it a shot.
I believe that everything we discuss here is an effect of either bad marketing or bad press. The game might still be good.

Have never cared about romances in games, but I certainly hope there's at least fleshed out character backstories and associated quests. On the tail of the "no pacifist playthrough" news, I'm becoming pretty leery of this game unfortunately.

Romances are ok, if they fit to story and/or to lore and setting of the world.
I like romances in game if its done well - as in, it expands companion's growth/story in meaningful way and it fits the setting/lore of the world. But its not essential yes. Looking at Obsidian's past romances, I think its right decision not to have them in their games.

It seems that Obsidian dislike work... romance / relationship can add a lot to a game if done properly. But, as they pointed out, that requires work and planification. I guess that's too much to ask when you think it is OK to swing a sword and have a progression system to qualify as an RPG....

Dragons Dogma 2 is looking pretty damn promising at this point. Meanwhile, this game isn't generating any hype.

I believe that everything we discuss here is an effect of either bad marketing or bad press. The game might still be good.
I am not hopeful. They delivered an unfinished game, PE2. And then were "surprised" that it didn't sell well. Like, srsly?

Now about this uninspiring PR footage, which usually is supposed to show only the good parts (the way Bethesda over-sells its mediocre games). So if what we saw is the best they can show, well...

Back
Top Bottom