Avowed - Carrie Patel Interview

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
ItmeJP interviewed Carrie Patel about Avowed:

Suicide Squad Impressions + Interview w/ Avowed Director - Carrie Patel | Dropped Frames Episode 377

0:00 - Tangents
5:00 - New Twitch subs
22:00 - Donuts
25:50 - Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League
42:55 - Too many GaaS
51:00 - Embracer lays off more
55:50 - Palworld sells 12 million copies
1:27:25 - Enshrouded
1:42:50 - Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth
1:52:20 - Granblue Fantasy Relink
2:00:40 - Lightyear Frontier
2:02:05 - Nightingale
2:08:35 - Tekken 8
2:14:30 - CD-ROM-A-THON ends
2:18:00 - Shoutouts for Zeke
2:19:15 - Interview with Carrie Patel, Director of Avowed
2:47:35 - Shoutouts

Patel shared additional information on the game throughout the interview:

1. There are no mini-games in Avowed
  2. The game features a day/night cycle, but it doesn't affect gameplay
  3. There are no mounts, although some gear may affect movement speed and there are some movement abilities like charge
  4. Magic won't be limited to wands; grimoires are an option, too
  5. While skill trees are classless, it will be possible to specialize in more classic archetypes
  6. Companions in Avowed have skill trees, too, although they are more limited
  7. There is a weapon upgrade system
  8. Once again, Obsidian reiterates that the scope will be similar to The Outer Worlds.
Thanks Couchpotato!

More information.

Yep for those who have followed the game since it was announced, it's basically Outer World's in fantasy setting. I'm fine with that as I enjoyed playing The Outer World's.

I only watched the part about Enshrouded. They give it some pretty high praise. I'll try to check out the Avowed interview when I have time.

I wonder if they’re being upfront about what’s not possible because they have to save face with respect to Baldur’s Gate 3.

It’s an interesting marketing approach. Honestly I prefer this over how CDPR launched Cyberpunk 2077 whence some features were abandoned or absolutely borked.

I think developers should be upfront about what’s possible but I am hankering for more story info than they’ve made available.

If anyone fell for the marketing that Outer World's was a Fallout NV clone then I have a bridge to sell you. Nah blame journalist's as they hyped the game not Obsidian.

Watch the Tim Cain videos as he goes into detail about the games development.

I don't know how collaborative devs are in putting together interviews, but part of the tenor of the marketing being things the game doesn't do are the questions being asked. "Are there mounts?" No. "Is there romance?" No.

Maybe they should interview themselves so they can ask the right questions.

I don't understand why there's day/night cycle if it's not going to matter in the gameplay.

It's not a deal breaker to me, of course, but it's just an odd thing to spend resources on. It's not like I can't appreciate the aesthetic appeal of the night in a videogame, either, but it gets old after two minutes, and a low visibility setting for no reason at all is not something I'd like to suffer for half of my playtime.

I don't understand why there's day/night cycle if it's not going to matter in the gameplay.
Well, it will help me get more screenshot variety. <shrug>

If the day/night cycle isn't affecting gameplay, then they aren't spending significant resources on it either, so I don't see any harm. All it is is an incremental reduction/increase of the lighting. Probably takes 1 person less than an hour to code that.

I assume the player will have light sources and the ability to pass time.

Back
Top Bottom