Wartales - Matt Chat 519

Love playing this game and to me it's better then Battle Brothers.

Mostly because it's not bobble heads.:biggrin:

Last edited:
That's your opinion as they are basically the same.:movingon:

I've not played Wartales much but it does feel similar to Battle Brothers—and does feel like the better game to me because the world feels a bit more live and fleshed out. That said, I can't get into these games that much... I love the systems and battles but they don't offer enough narrative for me to get super invested in them—though I can totally see why others love them.

I'll be a smartass and also say the developers of Battle Brothers next game is full 3D. So yeah you can claim they know that game will sell a lot more copies.

Alright I've had my fun and that's my final comment.

That's your opinion as they are basically the same.:movingon:
battle brother is a sandbox game, wartales has sandbox elements but , despite having few wandering random units, the map is handdrawn and point of interest are always the same. I'd call that an adventure/rpg with turn based combat.
Wartales has classes, battle brothers has backgrounds sharing the same passive tree; combat is very different, BB having obstacles, height bonus.
BB has random events based on party composition or just worldmap, WT has just quest related linear events.
Yeah mercenaries, they are both about mercenaries.

I would guess few people on this planet have put more time into these two games than me. I will sum it up like this, Wartales is a better game for a single playthrough. Battle Brothers is the better game long-term and the better strategy game.

This is not an opinion, this is a fact :).

battle brother is a sandbox game, wartales has sandbox elements but , despite having few wandering random units, the map is handdrawn and point of interest are always the same. I'd call that an adventure/rpg with turn based combat.
Wartales has classes, battle brothers has backgrounds sharing the same passive tree; combat is very different, BB having obstacles, height bonus.
BB has random events based on party composition or just worldmap, WT has just quest related linear events.
Yeah mercenaries, they are both about mercenaries.

You really like to nitpick :)

In both games, you manage a team of mercenaries, get contracts, fight turn-based tactical battles against enemies both human and non-human. Both feature a dark and gritty fantasy worlds. In both games, you manage an inventory, can trade/engage with the cities you discover, get more friendly with some factions vs others, explore a map full of dangers.

So yes, that makes the two games very similar. The facts one has class vs background, includes height in the tactical battles, etc doesn't change that.

I would guess few people on this planet have put more time into these two games than me. I will sum it up like this, Wartales is a better game for a single playthrough. Battle Brothers is the better game long-term and the better strategy game.

This is not an opinion, this is a fact :).
I can agree that BB got a greater replay value. But calling one a "better strategy game", sorry, but that's purely an opinion. Wartales got better graphic, better map layout, more fun tactical combats, better story and these are all elements that can make a game superior over the other, depending on how you value them.

I can agree that BB got a greater replay value. But calling one a "better strategy game", sorry, but that's purely an opinion. Wartales got better graphic, better map layout, more fun tactical combats, better story and these are all elements that can make a game superior over the other, depending on how you value them.
Wartales is too easy and you have to play on the hardest setting. Great game but I didn't have to use any tactics. Just crush your enemies and see them driven before you. Battle Brothers can make you want to toss your computer out the window.

I can also agree with some of the things you say but you are 100% wrong that Wartales has more fun tactical battles. Wartales had to add a nightmare difficulty because it's so easy. Unless easy=fun in your criteria.

For me, it's fun when it's not frustrating... And BB can easily become very frustrating. Nightmarish armor management, the world that seems to auto-level, lucky hits that can basically instant-kill your characters you have been working hard on... Well, if you find any of that fun, good for you. I'm just a simple-minded guy who enjoy playing Wartales at normal difficulty level.

You really like to nitpick :)

In both games, you manage a team of mercenaries, get contracts, fight turn-based tactical battles against enemies both human and non-human. Both feature a dark and gritty fantasy worlds. In both games, you manage an inventory, can trade/engage with the cities you discover, get more friendly with some factions vs others, explore a map full of dangers.

So yes, that makes the two games very similar. The facts one has class vs background, includes height in the tactical battles, etc doesn't change that.
to me a sandbox is very different from and adventure (ish) game but i think my life won't change if i win an internet debate so whatever float your boats. ;)

Love playing this game and to me it's better then Battle Brothers.

Mostly because it's not bobble heads.:biggrin:
Agreed, it's much more enjoyable than Battle Brothers. It's not only more beautiful, it's also a much deeper game with better systems and mechanics. When I played it, its only downside is that it got a bit too grindy in the second half, making it very hard to level, but I read that got addressed.

I'm considering starting a new playthrough from the beginning, actually quite looking forward to it!

Back
Top Bottom