Non-RPG General News - Metro Exodus: 10 Million Copies sold

I initially planned to buy this one, but their release stunt made me change my mind. Since then, I had too many other games to consider it again. Shame, they would've sold 10 million and one copies.

I initially planned to buy this one, but their release stunt made me change my mind. Since then, I had too many other games to consider it again. Shame, they would've sold 10 million and one copies.
You mean being an Epic exclusive for a year? I'm not sure how that's a stunt. They're not a huge studio and probably couldn't afford to turn down what Epic offered them. Great game too, so your loss.

On a side note, the developer, 4A Games, is a subsidiary of Saber Interactive which in turn is a subsidiary of... yep... Embracer Group.

Fingers crossed that the layoff turmoil doesn't eventually hit them too. I've really enjoyed their games.

You mean being an Epic exclusive for a year? I'm not sure how that's a stunt. They're not a huge studio and probably couldn't afford to turn down what Epic offered them. Great game too, so your loss.
They removed the game from Steam at the last moment (though they honoured the pre-purchases). Maybe stunt isn't the right word, but it was a bit of a mess, really, and they got their share of flak on Steam and elsewhere. On top of that, they added Denuvo at the last moment too, and since many people hate it, it only poured more oil on the fire.

It's not my loss when there are so many games available; I can skip a game without even missing it at all. I almost grabbed it on Black Friday, but I already had other games to play. Maybe another time. :)

P: I have nothing against Epic, but I prefer to stick to one or two launchers.

On a side note, the developer, 4A Games, is a subsidiary of Saber Interactive which in turn is a subsidiary of... yep... Embracer Group.

Fingers crossed that the layoff turmoil doesn't eventually hit them too. I've really enjoyed their games.
I hope so too, I like their games. They had (still have?) an office in Ukraine too, so it can't have been easy for them.

Redglypg dodged a bullet,I would say. Unfortunately,the Metro:Exodus is an huge disappointment. The main reason being: the enemies respawn. It is incredibly infuriating to say the least.

And,just to rub salt in the wounds.
The first two hours or so start out pretty good. Its setting up the plot,and things to come. And latter you are thrusted into a world where monsters respawn.
And then,you check the time played on Steam,and its more than 2h,so can't even refund the game. The only natural response after realizing that was a lot of profanities flying around,and waving hands angrily and shaking head in disbelief.
I'm still salty about it till this day(played it about a year ago). :D
However,uninstalling a game never felt so good though.

They removed the game from Steam at the last moment (though they honoured the pre-purchases). Maybe stunt isn't the right word, but it was a bit of a mess, really, and they got their share of flak on Steam and elsewhere. On top of that, they added Denuvo at the last moment too, and since many people hate it, it only poured more oil on the fire.

It's not my loss when there are so many games available; I can skip a game without even missing it at all. I almost grabbed it on Black Friday, but I already had other games to play. Maybe another time. :)

P: I have nothing against Epic, but I prefer to stick to one or two launchers.
I forgot about that but don't see it as that big of a deal since they still let the people who preorderd have it on Steam. Now if they had canceled out the preorders, or made them wait out the year, that would be something else entirely.

As for Denuvo, how would we know if they added it at the last moment? I've never known any company to announce their DRM. For all we know, it was always planned. Developers can add or remove DRM any time they want and aren't obligated to announce it.

You should get it the next time it's on sale. At least you have the bonus now of getting all the DLC with the game and at a lower price.

Redglypg dodged a bullet,I would say. Unfortunately,the Metro:Exodus is an huge disappointment. The main reason being: the enemies respawn. It is incredibly infuriating to say the least.

And,just to rub salt in the wounds.
The first two hours or so start out pretty good. Its setting up the plot,and things to come. And latter you are thrusted into a world where monsters respawn.
And then,you check the time played on Steam,and its more than 2h,so can't even refund the game. The only natural response after realizing that was a lot of profanities flying around,and waving hands angrily and shaking head in disbelief.
I'm still salty about it till this day(played it about a year ago). :D
However,uninstalling a game never felt so good though.
Such a disappointment that it has a 90% rating on Steam. :)

There's respawning! The horror!

Indeed. It is horror.
It was a terrible decision by the devs. Respawning mechanics have absolutely no place in such a game.
Now,if there would have been an option to turn respawning On or Off. That would be completely fine.
But alas,it is not so.

And just to be fair. There is a lot of games with high ratings which are,lets just say it mildly,not that good. :)

Indeed. It is horror.
It was a terrible decision by the devs. Respawning mechanics have absolutely no place in such a game.
Now,if there would have been an option to turn respawning On or Off. That would be completely fine.
But alas,it is not so.

And just to be fair. There is a lot of games with high ratings which are,lets just say it mildly,not that good. :)
Enemies respawning can be a pain, sometimes. I usually don't like that in open-world (or 'persistent world') games, though with time, I'm more and more fine with it in challenging or horror games because it enhances what the game is trying to do.

I don't get it when people think there shouldn't be respawning in an open map. You can't have zero enemies without the world feeling empty after a time. As long as it isn't too egregious, I'm always in favor of having some manner of respawn.

I don't get it when people think there shouldn't be respawning in an open map. You can't have zero enemies without the world feeling empty after a time. As long as it isn't too egregious, I'm always in favor of having some manner of respawn.
I suppose it depends how it's done. One example I have in mind is a Far Cry game I played (I don't remember which one) and where a camp I cleaned up was back once I returned shortly after, as if nothing happened. I realized they all did that each time the player got out of sight, which completely broke the immersion and realism for me.

I don't feel the need to constantly shoot at enemies so I'm not bothered with areas that are cleared. On the contrary, I know it's safe to get back there if I need time to organize my things or just flee from danger if my health is too low.

If that's just the occasional enemy respawning, as if they just arrived there, then fine by me.

I just might,or might not be ranting about it. Its not a big deal,in the end.
Respawns dont't belong in this game,I stand by it,strongly.

In the game I went inside of a house,and when I got back out all the monsters respawned that where previously killed.
I like action in games,but that was just utterly ridiculous,to a point I was done with it.
I really liked the first two Metro games,and I suppose, there it stops. Specially considering that the next Metro game is a VR game only,as far as I know.

I suppose it depends how it's done. One example I have in mind is a Far Cry game I played (I don't remember which one) and where a camp I cleaned up was back once I returned shortly after, as if nothing happened. I realized they all did that each time the player got out of sight, which completely broke the immersion and realism for me.
That would be an example of what I meant by too egregious. It needs to be done in such a way that it doesn't feel like what you did was for nothing.

I don't feel the need to constantly shoot at enemies so I'm not bothered with areas that are cleared. On the contrary, I know it's safe to get back there if I need time to organize my things or just flee from danger if my health is too low.

If that's just the occasional enemy respawning, as if they just arrived there, then fine by me.
In a shooter, combat is pretty much the point of the game. Unless it's a corridor shooter with very linear level design, I'd get bored pretty quickly if there weren't any enemies.

I just might,or might not be ranting about it. Its not a big deal,in the end.
Respawns dont't belong in this game,I stand by it,strongly.

In the game I went inside of a house,and when I got back out all the monsters respawned that where previously killed.
I like action in games,but that was just utterly ridiculous,to a point I was done with it.
I don't remember it ever happening like that, and, unlike you, I played it for more than just a few hours. You've made it clear though that you don't like the game, and that's fine.

I really liked the first two Metro games,and I suppose, there it stops. Specially considering that the next Metro game is a VR game only,as far as I know.
The VR game is being developed by a different studio. 4A Games is working on Metro 4.

In a shooter, combat is pretty much the point of the game. Unless it's a corridor shooter with very linear level design, I'd get bored pretty quickly if there weren't any enemies.
I would argue that shooting is the main way to get to the goal, it's hardly the goal itself, except in old games like Space Invaders. Either way, you generally don't need to revisit old places for the sake of shooting the same enemies as before (which would be boring); any decent game implies some sort of progression and other things to do.

Hmm...well Metro games are more of an a story driven adventure survival game. It has shooting yes. But,it is a secondary thing. I think of it as that,anyway.
If I want to blast some shooting,I'll jump in Quake 3,now that is a shooter game.

Oh,so there is an actual Metro 4 in a making. Curious of course,but very cautious about it. :) Thanks for the heads-up.

That would be farcry 2 ruined what was otherwise a pretty good game. It was the worst I'd ever seen. Literally you would clear the camp drive down the road and back and it would be respawned. Absolute worst at the time.

However, I do wonder how I would feel about it today considering my favorite genre is Souls games where everything respawns every time I rest at a bonfire.

I remember people complaining about Skyrim respawns which I think respawn every 30 in game days?? I can't imagine how boring and barren that game would feel like without respawns.

I thought I purchased exodus but seems I didn't just 2033 and last light. I'm sure it had to do with the exclusivity to epic and then I just forgot about it. They got to 10 million without me though, so it seems they did alright. :D I'm guessing they also got a bucket of money from epic to be exclusive on top of the lower cut.

Makes me think though I had forgotten epic even existed until you mentioned it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom