Mortismal Gaming - Ranking the 23 TRPGs I've reviewed

In case it helps...

Timestamps

In case it helps...

Timestamps
Thanks. Only played a few of these and I would rank them this:

King Arthur Knights Tale: My opinion is pretty much the opposite of what he says. The main campaign is actually raher well balanced, character progression is fine. It's an awesome game.
However: What he is saying is somewhat true regarding the Season Endgame content. That one was quite some broken balancing. I am at 300 hours now. Still finishing the second seasonal content.

Jagged Alliance 3: By far the best Jagged Alliance since Sirtech was forced to give up the license. The combat mechanics itself are great and the game is a lot of fun. But the challenge is seriously lacking. In tactical combat (as he mentioned the sniper rifles), but also the strategic part. And with too much money from the strategic part it also bleeds over into the tactical part. So it's a curse and a blessing that it also is more of a CRPG than a tactics/strategy focused games as previous games were. If you disregard challenge and money, and just enjoy the characters, thats fun. The quests are not super satisfying either though.

Lamplighters League: Decent game, but lacks a lot of polished to be really good. As he mentions.

Hard West 2: He did mention how Puzzle Heavy it was. When I realized it was a Puzzle game, with Puzzles you need to not just figure out, but also luck in order to do them, and savescum to that goal, I refunded that game. I prefer Hard West 1 by a lot.

Maybe I should make a full list of all games I reviewed so far. Maybe one day ^^

Has he not reviewed Battle Brothers? Because if he has and it's not on his list then he doesn't have a real list. If he hasn't reviewed it then I don't want to hear from him about tactical RPGs.

Kordanor---did you play Phoenix Point, it's not on his list.

I was excited about it but poorly reviewed at release so I avoided it.

Edit: Oh I see you liked it ! Very interested in this now.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpKB5kJS-DY
Yep, great game, highly recommended. To me that's the true successor to Gollops XCom :)
You just might want to skip the newer DLCs which were released after that (all the ones I mention in the video are included in the steam base version). Especially festering skies is supposedly terrible.

I didn't find Phoenix Point that good at all. It's way too long and without much purpose. The only interesting thing in the game to me was the manual aim, which after doing it 100 times loses its appeal too.

Phenix Point has a nice combat, but I was not a fan of the strategic part of the game.

Phenix Point has a nice combat, but I was not a fan of the strategic part of the game.
You like the strategic part of the original XCom then? Firaxis pretty much simplified that with an almost linear campaign, so that's where Phoenix Point is actually much closer to the original.

What Phoenix Point is lacking, is the air combat (which was added via DLC, which is supposed to be horrible), and what I did not like is the trading. I would consider Trading an annoying oversight by the developer. You can in theory ignore it, but it just gives big benefits and is quite finnicky to do. Not a fun element of the game.

You like the strategic part of the original XCom then? Firaxis pretty much simplified that with an almost linear campaign, so that's where Phoenix Point is actually much closer to the original.

What Phoenix Point is lacking, is the air combat (which was added via DLC, which is supposed to be horrible), and what I did not like is the trading. I would consider Trading an annoying oversight by the developer. You can in theory ignore it, but it just gives big benefits and is quite finnicky to do. Not a fun element of the game.
Being closer to an original doesn't necessarily make it more fun - at least not for me.

Being closer to an original doesn't necessarily make it more fun - at least not for me.
That in itself is certainly true.
In this case, for me, it does make it more fun. Same goes for the combat, which is closer to the original as well. And in my opinion also much better than firaxis new interpretation of "turn based combat".

Back
Top Bottom