Non-RPG General News - Eternal Strands announced

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PC Gamer reports that Mike Laidlaw revrealed his next game called Eternal Strands:

Former Dragon Age creative director Mike Laidlaw finally reveals his next game: A physics-based action-adventure 'in which the world becomes your weapon'

In 2020, former Dragon Age creative director Mike Laidlaw joined with Ubisoft veterans Jeff Skalski, Frédéric St-Laurent B, and Thomas Giroux to launch a new studio called Yellow Brick Games. Today, three and a half years later, they've finally revealed what they're getting up to: A new action-adventure called Eternal Strands.

Eternal Strands follows the tale of Brynn, a young Weaver - presumably magic, not basket - who's on a quest to restore the cultural home of her people by uncovering the mysteries of a once-powerful nation called the Enclave. That's a process that will of course involve throwing down with all sorts of enemies including 25-foot-tall monstrosities called Arks, which she can actually climb onto in order to deliver a proper walloping.

[...]
Thanks Soola!

More information.

Looks like another DS-clone. If the story is REALLY good I might play it. But right now my interest is low and I am a bit disappointed from an RPG-player's point.

Looks like another DS-clone. If the story is REALLY good I might play it. But right now my interest is low and I am a bit disappointed from an RPG-player's point.
I don't think it looks anything like DS. To me, this is more similar to something like Immortals Fenyx Rising. I wonder if any of those former Ubisoft devs worked on that.

The sandbox nature of this looks pretty cool but I am bummed it isn’t an RPG. From the article in the last post I made let’s hope Laidlaw is working towards an RPG after this one though.

I prefer when the protagonist is not fixed, but the game looks good, so I might give it a try if it releases in a good window where there's nothing else super exciting happening.

Yeah...not really hyped as it looks like another adventure game with RPG mechanics.

Anyhow good for him and maybe working at BioWare burned him out on RPGs? :unsure:

My interest will go up if there is a good dose of social interaction.

Yeah...not really hyped as it looks like another adventure game with RPG mechanics.

Anyhow good for him and maybe working at BioWare burned him out on RPGs? :unsure:
I’m wondering if the other former Ubisoft folks had more of a hand in the action-adventure focus since there’s more of them.

I’m wondering if the other former Ubisoft folks had more of a hand in the action-adventure focus since there’s more of them.
Could be but who knows. If it's anything like the Ubisoft open world games it might be worth a look. By that I mean the latest three Assassin Creed games.

Anyway he did work on a few unsuccessful Kickstarter games as well.

Last edited:
Not for me, but hopefully it's good for people who enjoy such games.

More on Eternal Strands - Blue News
A story on Bloomberg (may require registration or subscription) has details from Jason Schreier's conversation with Mike Laidlaw about last week's announcement of Eternal Strands, the debut title from Yellow Brick Road Games. This registers Mike's changing outlook on the industry after his previous two projects were cancelled. His departure from Ubisoft Quebec in 2020 followedthe cancellation of development of a game called Avalon. He had joined Ubisoft after leaving BioWare in 2017 in a move that turned out to be prompted, in part, at least, bythe cancellation/reboot of an early version of Dragon Age 4. Word is he is now content to work with a smaller team on smaller projects that will hopefully make it out the door and keep the lights on and the staff employed at the startup developer.

Game looks like early Darkstalkers or Immortals Fenix Non Catchy Name or whatever it's called.
Though I get some enjoyment out of those, I don't think I need another any time soon.

Darkheart said:
Looks like another DS-clone.
I'm assuming you mean Darkstalkers rather than Dungeon Siege. :)

Back
Top Bottom