Dragon's Dogma 2 - Review @ Gameffine

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Gameffine reviewed Dragon's Dogma 2:

Dragon's Dogma 2 Review: Honeymoon Period

Presenting Gameffine's Dragon's Dogma 2 review. Dragon's Dogma 2 is the highly anticipated follow-up to the 2012 cult classic RPG from Capcom.

Released to little fanfare in 2012, the Japanese-Western RPG hybrid Dragon's Dogma gained a huge cult status after the release of its Dark Arisen expansion. While the Western fandom didn't get to enjoy the Japan exclusive MMORPG Dragon's Dogma online, they have been clamoring for a sequel for years -- A sequel that expands heavily on the fantastical combat, innovative pawn system and larger-than-life boss fights. An RPG known for its deep character progression and old-school sense of exploration, Dragon's Dogma is still enjoyed today, and you won't have to go far to find people experimenting with ridiculous builds and capturing funny montages. After a grueling waiting period, Dragon's Dogma 2 is finally here. The word online is pretty polarizing, with criticisms aimed at the game's performance and microtransactions. What does the regal RPG authority at Gameffine think, you ask? Sit down, grab a jug of cold mead, and hear this tall tale. 60 hours and one true ending later, here's me presenting Gameffine's Dragon's Dogma 2 review.

[...]

The hours I spent in Dragon's Dogma 2 were filled with spectacular highs and frustrating lows. When the game gets going, it really gets going, before suddenly coming to a screeching halt. While I still look back to the 5 days I spent with the game with fondness and admiration towards Itsunos' craft, the game's poor performance coupled with Capcom's less-than-ideal monetization practices and the underwhelming endgame tarnished my experience to a degree. Let's just hope that Dragon's Dogma 2's upcoming expansion rectifies its many shortcomings. May it prove to be another Dark Arisen.

FINAL RATING: 75/100
Thanks Yemeth!

More information.

I've heard and read the word "frustration" in significantly too many of the reviews of this game that I won't be giving it a shot.

I enjoy a challenge to some degree but my brief experience with a different game altogether Dark Souls 1 (before I gave up on that after a few hours) helped made me realize that a lot of frustration is not what I want to experience in a game.

I agree with 1st half of the review - about early games being very enjoyable and then it started to get tedious around 20-30 hour point. Pawns improved significantly since DD1 which I really like. Can't comment on story since I haven't finished it yet. Performance has been ok for me. I don't care about microtransactions because I never felt need to buy those items because the game rewards plenty or I can just use the mod since I'm on PC ;) @basharran hope this answers your question in other thread.

Back
Top Bottom