Songs of Conquest - Gameplay

That's a huge sale for a game about to leave EA. I've tried not to play too much in EA but I have already sunk 70 hours into it. It's a fantastic game and the AI can be brutal at higher levels.

I don't typically buy Early Access but at 1/3 the price for a game that very much looks like I'm going <3 when it comes out next month I'm jumping on it.

They must need some quick cash to close it out.

Seems to play a lot like Heroes of Might and Magic / King's Bounty, which is a good to me, I always enjoyed the gimmicky gameplay loop of that type of game. Though as usual, I will wait for the actual full release and pay the full price if I intend to play it then.

I've been playing it a bit since it released into EA. Very much inspired by HoMM. There are lots of cool things in the game and they've done a very good job with it. The only thing that keeps my from really loving it is, unfortunately, the combat. Two things specifically:
  1. In most HoMM-style games you can have units "wait" so it adds some tactical flexibility about when to use units on your turn. In this game you cannot do that; each unit has to take an action when it is their intuitive, which I find really limiting and often frustrating (units can get trapped by your other units and essentially waste a turn because you can't move out your other units first, etc).
  2. I don't like the magic system. You accrue certain points as the battle progresses to use spells, but I find the whole system convoluted and somewhat random feeling—and I don't find the spells very compelling.
I am planning to try to dive into a full play-thru after EA, but so far I keep bouncing off the game because the combat just feels too.. I dunno, sort of random. I like the feeling that games like HoMM give you that if you change your tactics, you can win or do better in battles... I never get that feeling in this game.

Back
Top Bottom