Fallout: NV - Best Experience

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PC Gamer explains how to set up the best Fallout: New Vegas experience with modding:

How to have the best Fallout New Vegas experience today

Our definitive step-by-step guide to setting up and playing this classic RPG.

Now boasting a glossy (and surprisingly authentic) TV adaptation, Fallout is the talk of the town again--not bad for a series that started out as a niche turn-based isometric RPG from the '90s. While Fallout 4 and 76 are probably better known these days, most longtime series fans still sing the praises of Fallout: New Vegas and its hugely reactive, freeform story. At least, they recommend it more strongly than any other game in the series, just with some assembly required. You'll need to do a bit of legwork unless you happen to enjoy bugs and crashes, even after New Vegas got some official patches and a round of (excellent) DLC.

Years of dedicated community efforts have culminated in New Vegas being a better game than ever (and arguably one of the best RPGs ever made), but only if you're willing to go that extra mile through the Mojave to gather all the parts needed and cobble them all together at a crafting bench. So here's a crash course on how to get the most out of Fallout: New Vegas in 2024. Get it all done, and your friends will be atomic-green with envy.

[...]
Thanks Soola!

More information.

Not sure how much I trust PC Gamer for something like this, but I book-marked it anyways. Seeing the show has me wanting to jump back into the games.
It worked for me. It takes some time though. Things really clicked for me after I updated my (few months old) driver for some reason.

Not sure how much I trust PC Gamer for something like this, but I book-marked it anyways. Seeing the show has me wanting to jump back into the games.
exact same here. bought fallout 4 just now and vegas is next.

Well thanks to the TV show we now have a ton of articles and videos on the games.

Not kidding every day I have found 3-5 articles and videos.

True, the show is making me want go back to the games and even try Fallout 76 which I never played. :)

Last edited:
I've never played New Vegas with mods, assuming I can figure it all it out that's the way I might go next visit.
Wow, you’ve never played with mods? It was way too buggy for me if I don’t load them. About a year ago, I tried with mods using another mod tool (vortex I think?) before and got it working for a while but turned on variable refresh rate and ran into a big problem with physics and ended up quitting. I didn’t know that caused a problem in the past.

I followed PCGamer’s links here and loaded all the “Essential” bug fixing+utility mods. I also added Brave New World (better voice acting variety) and New Vegas Redesigned 2 Revised (better character model variety) and an happy to report it works. It took a while for me though!

About a year ago, I tried with mods using another mod tool (vortex I think?) before and got it working for a while but turned on variable refresh rate and ran into a big problem with physics and ended up quitting. I didn’t know that caused a problem in the past.
It might be because you were playing it on a newer/faster system than in the past and getting too high a framerate. I've seen quite a few people talk about FO4 having issues at higher speeds because apparently the physics are tied to the framerate in some manner, and things can get wonky when you exceed 60fps. I assume the same thing can happen in FO:NV. There's a mod that fixes it by separating the physics from the framerate.

True, the show is making me want go back to the games and eve try Fallout 76 which I never played. :)
@pibbuR plays solo and he likes it. Here's a post he made about it a few months ago.

I suppose it's all about your expectations and what you like to do (a real politician's answer, isn't it? ;)).

I was briefly tempted after watching Caldwell's video about US' landscapes, but it passed.

Playing it a lot now.

Haven't seen the show, and probably won't, at least for a while. I won't subscribe to Prime for just one show. Besides, I subscribe to Netflix, and there are more shows I would like to watch there than I have time to watch.

pibbuR who of course makes a lot of mistakes and this may be one of them.

PS. I only watch TV shows when on my exercise bike, and I often choose science shows on Youtube DS

Netflix is definitely the better choice. There are a few good shows on Prime, but they're rare and their new system where 80% of what you see is not free is despicable (you have to pay extra to see most of the stuff).

Fallout was a nice surprise, though.

Fwiw, I don't have Prime either. There's a Swedish streaming service I subscribe to that gives me access to a lot of the content from other services. 😉

Prime is the only one I have because they give a huge discount (50% off) for disabled folk. I initially got it for fast book deliveries, the telly part is something I've only used recently.

I don't recall having any issues when I played New Vegas, though it was in November of 2013 that I last played. I'm hoping to have less issues with a newer machine, not more, lol.

Prime is the only one I have because they give a huge discount (50% off) for disabled folk. I initially got it for fast book deliveries, the telly part is something I've only used recently.

I don't recall having any issues when I played New Vegas, though it was in November of 2013 that I last played. I'm hoping to have less issues with a newer machine, not more, lol.
If you want tips/help on mod setup, let me know.

Happy to help. :)

Playing it a lot now.

Haven't seen the show, and probably won't, at least for a while. I won't subscribe to Prime for just one show. Besides, I subscribe to Netflix, and there are more shows I would like to watch there than I have time to watch.
Just binge the show in the 7-day trial period.
That said, Prime is 4K and HDR by default and is literally half the price of the Netflix 1080P plan, with more devices allowed. With teenagers in the house, with their own things they want to watch, that's great.
Just list all the shows you want, blow through them, then cancel. Most of these services are "cancel/restart whenever you want", so service-hopping is a legitimate way to see what you want to see.

Back
Top Bottom