End of Microsoft Windows and forced ads-- alternatives?

ChaosTheory

Virtual Reality Hero
So I pay for everything (electricity, computer, internet access and Windows platform), yet Microsoft still thinks I have a tolerance for ads in their platform and soon, their train-wreck of an email client they're forcing us to. I've been a MS fan since Windows 3.5, but I refuse to view ads, let alone pay for them. Microsoft can fuck right off.

I've been researching alternatives to Microsoft Windows and associated products for our computers. What alternative platform are you guys using that still works with gaming/Steam, web-surfing, etc?

Yup, somewhat same here. I've changed to Linux, and couldn't be more happier. Fedora for work, PopOS/Nobara for gameplay.

NOTE: LINUX CAN BE VERY FRUSTRATING IF YOU ARE NOT A TINKER TECH GUY.
I'd recommend some newbie distro first, such as Zorin, Linux Mint or PopOS first. These distros pretty much work out of the box. If you are happy what you see, you may dive deeper into the rabbit hole and experiment with other Linux distributions.

If you’re not a tech guy / tinkerer, your only real option is Mac, and whatever games are available there. Linux can work for playing some Windows games, but it’ll be an absolute nightmare if you’re not already a Linux guy, or at least have a ton of patience and time.

Yeah I'm not enjoying the ads in outlook either. They are now forcing them on Win 10 to get more user's to upgrade to Win 11. You can't even use local accounts anymore either.

I have win 11 and see no ads on the interface. But I don't use Outlook email or any other type of Microsoft app like that.

You will soon have ads in your start menu, but for now I'm talking about the forced move away from Microsoft Mail, that works great, to soon requiring Outlook, which is a mess. In addition to downgraded software, the "free" version of Outlook has ads disguised as email. If you pay for Microsoft Office 365, you will not have ads (such as at your job, where Microsoft gouges organizations for the license).

Basically, they are sticking the email client behind a paywall, even though you've already paid for Windows. It's a bridge too far already, and I haven't started getting the start menu ads, yet.

The bottom line for me is that I will pay to use your software/service if I like it. But if I pay for your software or service, yet you still force ads on me, I will no longer pay for your software or service. I will pirate it for free (such as adblock), or I will find different software if a reasonable option exists.

Last edited:
It seems fairly insignificant when you read it...

The app promotions can be disabled in the Settings section of Windows 11, but it appears that Microsoft will enable these by default. Microsoft is seeking feedback on the changes, so it’s possible the company could decide to ditch these ads in development builds of Windows 11 if there’s enough feedback that suggests they’re not going to be a popular addition.
So even if they decide to keep them, they can be disabled.

You can't even use local accounts anymore either.
What do you mean here? Logging on to your windows machine? If so, it's easy to switch to using a local version of your account. I just did that. But maybe I misunderstand you.

In general:
Regarding the start meny, I have already pushed Stardock's Start11, which also allow you to use the style of older windos, even the style of win7.

Regarding mail, can switching to another client like Thunderbird be an option?

pibbuR who sadly wasn't paid to write this.

PS Thinking a bit more about ads. Ads are everywhere, also in services I pay for. I subscribe (paying) to a TV pusher, giving me access to numerous channels, most of them with ad breaks, which are very annoying. And if I subscribe to a newspaper, there are still lots of ads there. Personally, I find ads in windows less intrusive. DS

Last edited:
What do you mean here? Logging on to your windows machine? If so, it's easy to switch to using a local version of your account. I just did that. But maybe I misunderstand you.
You very well misunderstood me they want everyone to create online profiles.

In the past you were always offline after typing in your windows key.

I did use my windows account which I already had, when moving my (not oem) windows 11 license to a new pc. And I used it for logging on until recently when I switched to using local account. Windows very clearly recommended staying on line, but has not been nagging me since. We'll see what happens next.

BTW, both my main machines have win11 pro.

Last edited:
It's easy to setup Win11 Pro using a local-only account, which I only mention because the second article linked above says "Windows 11 went further by removing some of the workarounds for this requirement, on top of also making it mandatory for Pro editions", which is just simply wrong. It doesn't even require any workaround in the Pro version of 11, just requires selecting the right choices from the install menus.

Good for you they still don't want you using a local account and future versions will be worse. The workarounds we use now are not supported or recommend by Microsoft.

The workarounds we use now are not supported or recommend by Microsoft.
Like I said, with the Pro version (including with 11), no workaround is required. You can simply select the correct menu options during install and create a local account.

When it asks "Set up for personal use" or "Set up for work or school", you pick the latter. Then you pick "Sign-in options" and "Domain join instead". This doesn't actually join you to a domain, just creates a local account for you. (The idea is you'll join an Active Directory domain later, hence the wording...but you don't have to)

Last edited:
Good for you they still don't want you using a local account and future versions will be worse. The workarounds we use now are not supported or recommend by Microsoft.
Not recommended, yes. But still technically supported since I used excisting windows functionality to switch. But who knows what the future brings.

pibbuR who feels like he may be arguing now, which he doesn't want to do.

Not recommended, yes. But still supported since I used excisting windows functionality to switch. But who knows what the future brings.
Yep never thought I'd ever see the day Windows turned into something like an Apple account or product, but were stuck with MS. As they monopolized Windows and the competitors are worse. I've tried Linux and it's just not as user friendly as windows.

At least right now Win 11 installation offers local for those who lie about no internet.

Yep never thought I'd ever see the day Windows turned into something like an Apple account or product, but were stuck with MS. As they monopolized Windows and the competitors are worse. I've tried Linux and it's just not as user friendly as windows.

At least right now Win 11 installation offers local for those who lie about no internet.
Yep, as someone already said, Linux requires more technical knowledge (and interest) and is therefore not suited for everyone. So I assume for most people the way to solve the ad problem is using 3rd party software. Or -shivers- switch to mac.

pibbuX who has several linux installations, at the moment mostly for fun.

Back
Top Bottom