Drakensang - Now Steam-y

Quite expensive on Steam. 49,99e when it's $29,95 on D2D, that being less than 24 euros.

Can't buy it on D2D as a European, tho'

But it's unlocked for Europeans on GamersGate now as well, only 30 EUR there.

Quite expensive on Steam. 49,99e when it's $29,95 on D2D, that being less than 24 euros.

One of the 3 reasons iam not gonna buy something there.
Any other shop is cheaper and you get a DVD with it. Dont see ANY reason to buy at that capitalistic site.
It suppossed to be cheaper for the game buyer, well guess it aint.

Bought the game for 36 euro incl DVD and shipping online. Now thats a buy !

One of the 3 reasons iam not gonna buy something there.
Any other shop is cheaper and you get a DVD with it. Dont see ANY reason to buy at that capitalistic site.
It suppossed to be cheaper for the game buyer, well guess it aint.

Bought the game for 36 euro incl DVD and shipping online. Now thats a buy !

Depends on the game, a while back I bought Portal and Bioshock for less than 9 euros combined. So Steam can be really cheap. It's good to check it out from time to time.

It's $29.99 on Steam from the US. That's more than what I paid for a physical copy at amazon.

Steam used to offer all games in USD. It used to be kind of cheaper by definition back then for Euros, what with the low dollar and all. Now that it's in EUR with the logic of one USD = one EUR, it's not that cheap except for weekend and release deals.

That same link shows me the price 49,99e. I guess it might have to do with it being released in Germany so long ago. Well I can wait for the price to drop while playing the Witcher..

Täältäkin saat halvemmalla. ;)

Or from www.play.com.

Something weird is up with digital download sales of this game. Direct2Drive is still limited and sells for 30 USD, while Steam and GamersGate have thrown open the gates for European sale and upped the price to 50 EUR. Huh?

Probably because 50 EUR is the RRP in most of Old Europe while the US price is 30$.

Probably because 50 EUR is the RRP in most of Old Europe while the US price is 30$.

Would that be because dtp is publishing in most of Europe, while THQ/ValuSoft decided to aim lower for the US?

That's...er...pretty unfair, though it is what it is. And I picked it up for 30 EUR from GG before they remembered to lock it for Euros.

I'm pretty sure dtp wanted it to be sold for the standard full retail price in every territory. Whatever this is. The fact that it didn't happen doesn't mean they have to lower the price in other countries. Why would they leave 20 EUR per unit on the table? There is no objective reason why Drakensang should cost less than every other new premium RPG. (Meaning everything with decent quality.)

Even if a game is published by the same company worldwide, market segmentation by country in combination with a unique price per country is normal business.

That's half the German price at release.

Even if a game is published by the same company worldwide, market segmentation by country in combination with a unique price per country is normal business.

Sure, but then you're talking about variations based on a country's normal release-day RRP. Obviously, that standard is not the same everywhere, but that's not what's odd here, what's odd is that the US goes below standard RRP while Europe does not.

I agree, there's nothing about Drakensang that makes it worth less than full-price of a new release, but that doesn't mean this will be any easier to sell PR-wise. It looks odd, from a consumer standpoint.

The same thing works with hardware too to som extent. I.E consoles are much cheaper in US and Japan than in EU - price difference with ps3 was like 200€ at some point and with worse addons! And then there are graphics cards and hdtvs and...nothing is cheap.

Atleast there is play.com so I can get somthing back.

Sure, but then you're talking about variations based on a country's normal release-day RRP. Obviously, that standard is not the same everywhere, but that's not what's odd here, what's odd is that the US goes below standard RRP while Europe does not.
That's the typical small publisher problem. If they choose a big partner they lose control over the price, and if they choose a small partner they might be able to control the price but have problems to secure shelf space.

I still think dtp should have made all the DL deals themselves, for 40$ / 45 EUR. (difference: taxes). Then only agree to full rice retail deals, and if they can't get them delay mid price retail until the summer.

As it is now they will have 10$ retail units circulating in May.

I agree, there's nothing about Drakensang that makes it worth less than full-price of a new release, but that doesn't mean this will be any easier to sell PR-wise. It looks odd, from a consumer standpoint.
Yes. But it's the way things are. THQ and EIDOS don't care about dtp's bottom line.
90% if the customers won't notice the price difference though.

Back
Top Bottom