Risen - Interview with Mike Hoge at GameReactor

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
Staff Member
GameReactor has an interview with PB's Michael Hoge as a follow up to his GenCon presentation we linked to last week. In it he compares how Risen is different from and in some ways better that the earlier Gothic games. There's some excellent short video clips included, so check it out. I found it Here.
More information.

I just noticed something from the video. There is a shot of the dock in Risen in the video, and that dock looks exactly like the one in Gothic II, in term of layout. Brings back memories...

Khornis :)

Cool an English dev interview, good work GameReactor and Michael Hodge! :)

Nice! I like very much what I hear about dungeons with puzzles! Might be reminiscent of Dungeon Master, one of my favorite RPG's!

(Hi everyone I'm new to posting here)

Last edited:
I don't want to be a doom-caster here, but I prefer slicing up Orcs more than solving local citizen issues / puzzles. This seems to be quite a departure from the Gothic series? So slice and dice is taking a backseat to solving riddles / traps? One way to avoid being blasted for poor action combat, just make it not the centerpiece. Again, probably just my pessimistic nature and not indicative of anything to come.. I hope..

Many of us prefer using our brains to killing everything in sight, so this interview has only increased my anticipation!!

So slice and dice is taking a backseat to solving riddles / traps?

So far I haven't seen any indication that there will be any more or less combat than in prior Gothic games. Seems the video interview was simply focusing on the questing and exploration aspect of the game.

I prefer slicing up Orcs more than solving local citizen issues / puzzles.

Well, quests and citizen issues are entirely different from dungeon puzzles but you lump them together in that sentence as if they are similar. They aren't.

Wie OnKeLDead, seines Zeichens Moderator im Deep Silver Forum, heute in offiziellem Auftrag in unserem Forum verkündet hat, werden die Verkaufsversionen von RISEN weitere Inhalte bieten.

Die normale Ausgabe wird auch die Soundtrack-CD beinhalten und der Collector's Edition wird außerdem ein Comic mit der Vorgeschichte zu RISEN beiliegen. Das zweiteilige Comis erzählt die Ereignisse vor dem Spiel einmal aus Sicht von Inquisitor Mendoza und einmal aus der Perspektive von Don-Esteban.

Good news - normal version of the game will now also include the soundtrack CD

Many of us prefer using our brains to killing everything in sight, so this interview has only increased my anticipation!!

I think you made an extreme out of what I was saying, but that's ok. I like the involvement with the other characters in the game, and helping out the citizens and a little cleverness in the dungeons makes it more interesting, no doubt. But the interview was very tilted to that side of it, as if that was going to make up the bulk of the playing experience. I was merely addressing my concerns. "Hi Mr. Orc, since we don't want you and your thousands of blood thirsty beasts killing mankind, we'd like to challenge you to some scrabble, how's your vocabulary?" "We'd really prefer this method to all that nasty sword swinging and blood and stuff, m'kay?"
haha

Hey, I think that would make for a great game; RPG Scrabble!! :D

The idea of Scrabble RPG reminds me of the fighting in Monkey Island...
You are fighting like a cow...

Back
Top Bottom