Knights of the Chalice - Knights of the Chalice Tips & Strategies

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
Rampant Coyote has a few tips on how to play KOTC. His #7 and #11 tips are very helpful to anyone who is thinking about playing KOTC. Summon Elemental can be easily overlooked when you get access to better spells, but it is still helpful since it scales to your level.
#7 - The AI enemies really, really like to attack your wizard(s). Hey, when I'm fighting groups of bad guys, I go after their wizards first, too. You can either grouse about it, or take advantage of it. I try to position my wizard defensively so that enemies have to approach and go around my other characters (thus drawing attacks from readied actions and attacks of opportunity). It helps to load up the wizard with good defensive gear as early as possible. Bracers of armor, rings of protection, cloaks of blur, and rings of fire (or ice) to defend against those pesky enemy wizard spells and dragon breath weapons.
#11 - Speaking of good low-level spells - Summon Elemental is a 1st level divine spell that scales with the caster. These have been key to winning many combats for me, and they are just as useful at first level as at 13th (and I assume at 20th and above, but I'm not there yet). I'd say Cure Light Wounds and one kind of summoning spell should be your very first spell selections. You'll eventually want at least two elementals eventually (or you'll be hating life when your fire elemental HEALS an Iron Golem).
More information.

Last edited:
The link is broken and we only give a source if it's different to the linked site(s).

Apart from that, good job. ;)

Ok, all fixed now.

You know one of the newbs had to mess up sooner or later. :D

I got lucky when you posted that article. I came over to see if the new Archon game had any RPGish features within it and that's when I saw that you had a new blog entry.

Some really good tips in there Rampant. Especially to anyone new to the game. It's easy to overlook a few things.

Like you said, crafting is essential in KOTC where in NWN 2 it was basically a luxery. You could easily live without it. KOTC is one of the few games where crafting a wand or two really helps out in the battles. I learned the hard way after searching high and low for merchants that they basically sold things I could of made myself, with a few exceptions and good luck in trying to find a wand in the loot. I can't even remember if I ever found one wand in any of the loot drops. I'm sure I found at least on once, but by that time I figured out I need to just make my own stuff.

God I really love this game, it takes the whole CRPG to a whole new level.

Two things that I'm disappointed with though. One is that you now have KOTC fever, so that translates to many many hours spent on this wonderful game when you could be plugging away at your wonderfull looking game, but I suppose everyone needs a break sometimes. It may help you as well. Instead of just dealing with the bare bones of your game and getting it running. You can goof off for a few hours playing a really difficult game that is so difficult it compels you to keep playing it till you figure out a way past the next bad guys. God I love this game.

Second thing that bugs me is that he keeps updating KOTC. Don't get me wrong, I love that about him. He is on top of every bug, every new feature and implementing them just as fast as he can. Because of that I've decided to hold off until he's done updating or till I get Dragon Age and finish it. If at that time he is still updating then I'm playing it no matter what. Even if he had the grandaddy of all upgrades planned in the next few months.

Two things that I'm disappointed with though. One is that you now have KOTC fever, so that translates to many many hours spent on this wonderful game when you could be plugging away at your wonderfull looking game, but I suppose everyone needs a break sometimes.

That's how it starts. "I need a break. I need inspiration. I'm gonna play KotC real quick for a half-hour."

Two-and-a-half-hours later...

Back
Top Bottom