Fallout Online - Screenshots @ Duck and Cover

Looks good,although the idea of a Fallout MMO still makes puke.

Looks good,although the idea of a Fallout MMO still makes puke.

why?
its the next logical step.
solo RPG costs a lot to make, and sells only once.
mmo costs a little bit more, and starts an endless cashflow if its well made.

actually i would love to go on supermutant hunt with other people.

solo RPG costs a lot to make, and sells only once.
mmo costs a little bit more, and starts an endless cashflow if its well made.

*blinks* That's…not really how economics works. Compared to MMOs, solo RPGs could be entitled as "low-risk, low-yield", if not for the massive yield from Oblivion, Fallout 3 and their respective DLCs.

Meanwhile, can you name one MMO launched in the past, say, 3 years that actually looks profitable? MMOs costing "a little bit more" is flatout wrong, the overhead for MMOs is massive due to the server infrastructure you have to set up and maintain.

The problems of a Fallout MMO are kind of a different debate, since it's an open question how well the Fallout setting lends itself to MMOs. I don't think it matters anymore at this point, the setting's been bent so much you can bend it to an MMO as well. Not like it'll do more harm than has been done.

Looks crappy and I doubt if it ever reaches release even. And even if it does it will most likely be yet another everquest/anarchy online/wow with fallout graphics. And even if it did have som miraclous new gameplay feature that made it "different" I would still not have enough time to play it.

I cant waste hundreds if not thousands of hours of my life into a single levelling threadmill. Not one game could ever be that good let alone this kind of hopeless project.

Last edited:
The innovation in MMOs has pretty much reached it's dead end, so don't expect for something new in the next 5 years or so.
The Fallout concept has so much potential for a good enjoyable MMO but it really depends who makes it and on what budget. Judging by the screenshots and the market power of Interplay today, this game will end up being canceled or just a mediocre F2P.
Don't get your hopes too high, naming a game Fallout won't bring instant success.

I'm really unexcited about mmo's in general anymore.

mmm I have a problem with the fallout universe in a MMO:
post apocalyptic world with just here and there people living, now trow in a 1000000 players in it. looks weird to me

Why we (at least some of us) loved FO/FO2? Was it really the setting, S.P.E.C.I.A.L, turnbased combat, PIPboy, mutants and Enclave or something else?
Didn't we learn from Interplay's disaster called FO:BoS what happens when you try to kill the base ideas of the first Fallout?

I believe it was actually that "something else" that made us love the game. And to see that "something else" in a MMO… Dunno. I expect to see another "kill 10 rats billion times to get a level" game. FO3 MMO. Oblivion with lasers MMO.
Perhaps the the only difference between FO3 and FOonline will be level cap on level 50 instead on level 20.

Anyway, I don't plan to play this MMO. And I honestly hope Obsidian's Fallout will be a real FO3.

Isn't there already a post apocalyptic MMO? Fallen earth? (not a bad little independent mmo).

True, but there is also more than one fantasy MMO, so maybe there is room for another post apocalyptic MMO.

The next MMO I try will require a plug in the back of my head, and, perhaps, a feeding tube; I can't seee how anything less could be worth it. :p

Won't be anywhere near WoW anyways.. Especially after years of tweaking / fixing it hehe, not very fair maybe, but true ;)

Won't be anywhere near WoW anyways.. Especially after years of tweaking / fixing it hehe, not very fair maybe, but true ;)

It doesn't have to be. Alot of MMO's are not at WoW levels but I know they are making money.

There is already a russian mmo that uses all the assets from FO 1&2. Google for more info. I highly doubt it is legal tho.

I'll keep an eye on it, but I very much doubt I will play this extensively (possibly a short period to try it out). The whole point in Fallout is to wander the wastes alone - if it ends up being anywhere near as crowded as most MMOs, it will lose the Fallout feeling.

It doesn't have to be. Alot of MMO's are not at WoW levels but I know they are making money.

I didnt mean money wise, i meant balance and gameplay and overall budget they have to play around with :) Its really hard to beat Blizzard there i believe. It was also extremely easy to find people in the 25-35 year old range to play with, even people from my own country, its a huge plus when a game has 10+ million people playing. I've tried LOTRO, AoC, Fallen Earth (beta) and a few others but they've been really weak in comparison.. I'm sure im going to buy this too though hehe

The only way I can see it work is if they really stress coop-survival aspects in the gameplay. That would work well with the Fallout universe. A classical MMO environment would seem rather jarring, IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom