DA:I Dragon Age Inquisition DirectX Error Fix

Dragon Age: Inquisition

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
If you get random Crash-to-the-Desktop errors with a DirectX messagebox, this helped me:

(I have a Win7 64 Bit-System with a ZOTAC GTX 660 TI NVIDIA gfx card)

Upgrade to Nvidia driver version NVIDIA 347.09

Choose (very important!)
Display Mode: Full-screen Window

Graphic Options:
Tessellation Quality: OFF
Post Processing Quality: LOW
Ambient Occlusion: OFF
Effects Quality: LOW
Post Process Anti-aliasing: OFF
Multi-Sample Anti-aliasing: OFF

everything else can be on HIGH:

Resolution Scale 100
Graphics Quality Custom
Mesh Quality High
Resolution 1920x1080
Shadow Quality High
Terrain Quality High
Texture Quality High
Vegetation Quality High
Water Quality High

The setting file:
C:\Users\[yourUserName]\Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age Inquisition\Save\ProfileOptions_profile
looks like this:

GstAudio.AudioCompressionMode 0
GstAudio.DialogueVolume 1.000000
GstAudio.EnableSubtitles 0
GstAudio.MasterVolume 1.000000
GstAudio.MusicVolume 1.000000
GstAudio.SavedEnableSubtitles 1
GstAudio.SoundEffectsVolume 1.000000
GstAudio.TextLanguage -1
GstAudio.VoiceOverLanguage -1
GstAudio.VoipBehavior 0
GstRender.AmbientOcclusion 0
GstRender.AnisotropicFilter 4
GstRender.AntiAliasingDeferred 0
GstRender.AntiAliasingPost 0
GstRender.Brightness 0.500000
GstRender.EffectsQuality 0
GstRender.FieldOfView 70.000000
GstRender.FullscreenEnabled 0
GstRender.FullscreenMode 2
GstRender.FullscreenRefreshRate 60.000000
GstRender.FullscreenScreen 0
GstRender.Gamma 0.500000
GstRender.Mantle 0
GstRender.MeshQuality 2
GstRender.OverallGraphicsQuality 5
GstRender.PostProcessQuality 0
GstRender.ResolutionHeight 1080
GstRender.ResolutionScale 1.000000
GstRender.ResolutionWidth 1920
GstRender.ScreenSafeAreaHeight 0.950000
GstRender.ScreenSafeAreaWidth 0.950000
GstRender.ScreenUIScale -1.000000
GstRender.ScreenUIXOffset 0.000000
GstRender.ScreenUIYOffset 0.000000
GstRender.ShadowQuality 2
GstRender.TerrainQuality 2
GstRender.TessellationQuality 0
GstRender.TextureQuality 3
GstRender.UndergrowthQuality 2
GstRender.VSyncEnabled 1
GstRender.WaterInteractQuality 2
GstInput.CameraAutoCenter 0
GstInput.GamePad 0
GstInput.MouseRawInput 0
GstInput.MouseSensitivity 0.400000
GstInput.MouseSmoothing 0.200000
GstInput.Scheme0FlipX 0
GstInput.Scheme0FlipY 0
GstInput.Scheme0Sensitivity 0.500000
GstInput.SwapMouseButtons 0
GstInput.Vibration 1

PS:
posted this at the official forum, too.

Last edited:
I could play today for 7 hours straight for the first time without getting that damn DirectX error. So the settings work.

Is this where I should be grateful for playing it on the PS4? 35+ hours and no issues so far :evil:

170+ hours in on PC and no issues so far. ;)

On 1440p btw. I'm grateful indeed! :D

Is this where I should be grateful for playing it on the PS4? 35+ hours and no issues so far :evil:
I'll say yes. The released game version was crashing on consoles more than on PC. The patch solved crashes on consoles, but not on PC.
Also, controls on consoles were perfect since the alpha phase of the game. Controls on PC were disastrous on the release and are left unchanged till this day.

I'll say yes. The released game version was crashing on consoles more than on PC. The patch solved crashes on consoles, but not on PC.
Also, controls on consoles were perfect since the alpha phase of the game. Controls on PC were disastrous on the release and are left unchanged till this day.

I only started DAI couple of weeks ago on PS4 so I must have got the patch etc. But you are right in that the controls seems to fit perfect for the PS4 controller.

170+ hours in on PC and no issues so far. ;)

On 1440p btw. I'm grateful indeed! :D

On 1080p but on 55 inch TV and the big screen seems to make up for the slight reduction in quality. These days I can't image playing these open world games on small screen. I have already purchased Witcher 3 on Steam but now I am thinking of buying it again for PS4!

I only started DAI couple of weeks ago on PS4 so I must have got the patch etc. But you are right in that the controls seems to fit perfect for the PS4 controller.
I suggest if you have a console at home, and are going to buy DA3, get the game version on that console. You don't get smacked with horrid controls, you don't have crashes and the game is not modding friendly to justify buying it on PC.

This is not sarcasm, I'm dead serious.

On 1080p but on 55 inch TV and the big screen seems to make up for the slight reduction in quality. These days I can't image playing these open world games on small screen. I have already purchased Witcher 3 on Steam but now I am thinking of buying it again for PS4!

I have my PC hooked to a projector with a 120" screen down sampled from 4k, I couldn't imagine playing these open world games on a console with a small 55" screen.;)

Seriously though, I'm not sure why people still see pc gaming as a guy in a small room in front of a tiny screen. Mine is in my theater room right next to my ps4 which is just a glorified blueray player mostly. I do play madden and last of us on it though.

I suggest if you have a console at home, and are going to buy DA3, get the game version on that console. You don't get smacked with horrid controls, you don't have crashes and the game is not modding friendly to justify buying it on PC.

This is not sarcasm, I'm dead serious.

Why, I've asked before but what makes it different on console? I've played it on PC with a controller and it still doesn't seem any better to me.

Not the difference, but performance. Crashes on PC. Not on console.

Yep, I'm still crashing so often on my PC... funny thing is, it runs a lot more smoother if I'm offline on Origin..... So I guess Origin have something to do with it too.

Yes Origin and the new security added to the EXE. file are the problem. Just use the cracked fake launcher, and the game runs much faster without Origin.

I came by this conclusion by playing both my bought copy, and using the crack.:)

Ooh, good tips to try. :) But…. do you lose achievements, God forbid! What are Origin points, BTW?

I very rarely get fast crashes to desktop, but it's without a DirectX pop-up error box. Is it something else?

AND
  • disable Origin popups in the Origin GUI
  • forbid collecting user data
  • don't connect to the Dragon Age servers for alternate worlds

Last edited:
AND
  • disable Origin popups in the Origin GUI
  • forbid collecting user data
  • don't connect to the Dragon Age servers for alternate worlds

I thought the alternate world thing is only valid when you are first starting the game? I couldn't be bothered to customise stuffs so I'm just playing on default setting. Very interesting though, I didn't know canon Warden is Female Dalish who sacrificed herself, although I wasn't really surprised about Hawke being a dude mage.

Back
Top Bottom