Marvel's Midnight Suns

Zloth

I smell a... wumpus!?
I'm having a ball with this one!

First off, as every detailed review has said, this is not a game where you spend 60% of your time in battles, 30% of your time prepping for battles, and the rest split up between story and cosmetics. There's a lot of chatting going on in this one. If you're the type of person that gets upset because a 5 minute video plays to tell you about the story, you need to put this game on your ignore list and never look back.

What's in this game:

Exploration: This is the smallest part of the game for sure, but there's way too much of it to call it a mini-game. It's not a very strong part, either.

The heroes (and heroines - but nobody seems to use that word anymore) set up shop in an old abbey located in a dimensional pocket. The abbey grounds have quite a few walls spread around that you, being a polite superhero, refrain from simply leaping over. You'll be able to unlock areas properly by use of special power words that you'll learn while exploring and exploring will grant you more power words. You'll also find various mysteries spread around the grounds and loot boxes that mostly contain cosmetic rewards. Various herbs grow in different parts of the grounds, too, so opening new areas will give you access to more herbs you can use to craft things with.

Unfortunately, this whole aspect seems like one that was just given enough development time to work and that's it. The graphics out in the grounds really aren't impressive and, because the grounds aren't all that huge, they couldn't really give you a varied landscape without being silly. The mysteries are OK, but they didn't even bother to give you a list of the mysteries to help you track what mysteries you were looking into and the clues you had found so far. Still, I love exploration and searched the grounds as soon as the game cut me loose. This aspect of the game is weak, but I still do enjoy it!

Socializing: There's a lot of chit chat in this game. Depending on your dialog choices, the other heroes may like you a little more or less. You're also given the option to hang out with the heroes and give them gifts, for even more friendship points. Would Wolverine enjoy playing cards or looking at the stars? Well, listen to what they say and... wait, seriously? You think Wolverine is going to go for stargazing!? Well, OK, maybe you never watched any of the movies or read any of his comics. Just listen to what they talk about, and you can make some pretty good guesses. The same goes for gifts. If you mess up, it's not a big deal, there will be other opportunities.

As near as I can tell, the other heroes aren't comparing notes. If you want to be Hunter of Righteousness around Captians Marval & America while being Hunter's Edgelord around the Emo Kids, they won't suspect a thing: but there is a price. The more righteous stuff gives you light points and the edgy stuff gives you dark points. Switching between them a lot will leave you neutral, blocking off certain rewards. On the other hand, you'll have more friends faster, which also gives rewards.

The writing is absolutely critical in this part of the game. So far, it's been very well done.

The Battles: Yep, it's a deck builder. Yep, you can be boned by bad hands. However, there is very little randomness beyond that - especially when attacking. If you don't play any cards that cause you to draw more cards, you can usually plan out your entire turn exactly. Try that in an XCOM battle where there's a chance to miss on every shot!

Each hero has about ten different kinds of cards, each of which can be upgraded once. (Your main character has more like 30.) Each character has different playstyles, too, requiring different tactics. Once Captain Marvel does a few attacks, she can 'go binary,' which increases her offense and defense. Deadpool, on the other hand, does more damage by KO'ing more enemies without getting attacked himself. Blade can do attacks that damage the target and heal Blade. Most of Storm's cards become stronger if you don't play them until the turn after you draw them. Everybody has something different.

Cards aren't the only thing you'll use, though. There are also various objects scattered around the battlefield that you can use without playing a card. Anything from throwing a stack of newspapers at an enemy, to vaulting over a table, to dropping a full cargo net on one. It won't take long before you unlock the 'shove' command, too, which lets your hero shoulder-tackle an enemy into whatever is behind them.

And More: There's a huge amount full of lore in the game, as you might expect from Marvel. Some of it pertains to past Marvel stuff, but quite a bit talks about the magical lands and the history around Salem. There's a training area that will let you take a hero up against a bunch of baddies, which is handy for learning how to use a hero or just going on a little power fantasy. Oh, and there's posing - lots of posing.

Finished it. They game is really quite good, but it's also clear that Firaxis wasn't bothering to polish the game toward the end. It's got quite a few niggling bugs. Nothing serious*, but not really what I expect from Firaxis. Things like people still having a 'pending chat' bubble even after you've spoken to them, enemies you've defeated not vanishing, comic covers you make not fitting in the frames you buy, and stuff like that. The exploration I was enjoying so much seemed to run out of budget - the whole thing was done before the end of Act 1 (out of 3 acts) and one of the last mysteries was solved simply by casting the good old Reveal spell on it.

Something I didn't call out before was the voice acting. They did great! You've got over a dozen friendly heroes and three motherly figures hanging around, all with quite a few lines. The only one I didn't like much was Charlie, the pet dog.

The writing was good pretty much through the whole game. Some of the "you've become a good friend, thanks" variations got tiresome, but I think that's simply because you've got so many heroes you become friends with.

Speaking of lots of heroes - you know how a lot of RPGs will give you a little one-on-one conversation time with each of your companions before the big final mission? This game does the same. If you've got the DLC, though, you're looking at 19 chat bubbles! At about two minutes each it took me around 40 minutes to get through them all! I listened to every single one of them, though, and even petted Charlie just before jumping into the mission. There simply weren't any of them that I felt like I could skip!

* At least I saw nothing serious. A few people mentioned needing to talk to one of the heroes to continue the game, but that hero couldn't be found anywhere. I suggest making manual saves at least once a day and keeping the last half dozen or so, just to be safe.

Last edited:
I see so someone is still playing the game. Wish I could say many others are as well, but it's already been labeled a failure by It's publisher. Sad really it looked good.

Anyway thanks for your review.(y)

Yet another one I simply must get around to purchasing at some point. So many games, so little time. Might be a great alternative to replaying Freedom Force yet again. -p

Wish I could say many others are as well, but it's already been labeled a failure by It's publisher.
I kinda wonder if they labeled it a failure before it got released. There were a lot of things that seemed like stuff Firaxis would fix. The whole levelling system ended up kinda pointless, too - enemies level right up along with you. I love that sort of system in Bethesda games, but with no open world and no change in enemies other than the size of the health bars, they could have left the entire system on the cutting room floor. I'm guessing there were plans to let you face new, more interesting enemies as you gained levels or something, but they never got around to doing whatever-it-was. The exploration mode ends pretty early, so maybe that got cut off? And what's up with stuff like this??
View: https://youtu.be/1lGlxylJzrI

It's funny and doesn't hurt anything, but this is the kind of thing I expect from Piranha Bytes, not Firaxis. They dealt with the nasty bugs, but it seems like somebody ran off with the polish before they could finish.

The dialog was plenty fun, though!
View: https://youtu.be/doYaN4EWqJQ

View: https://youtu.be/GE3zzc_bVmE

I so loved this game. I had an absolute blast playing it. I would have put a lot more time in it with replays except I hated the ending with a passion. But the other 99% of the game was absolutely top for me. The ending spoiled any replay value, especially knowing there will most likely never be a sequel. Still I got my moneys worth and then some out of this game.

Huh - the ending didn't seem that bad to me at all. Kinda predictable, which drained the emotional part out for me, but not bad. And I really liked how they did the final mission!

Huh - the ending didn't seem that bad to me at all. Kinda predictable, which drained the emotional part out for me, but not bad. And I really liked how they did the final mission!

I will spoiler this all since others may not have played it who want to.

I was very invested in my Hunter. I adored him and Charlie as a team. Charlie had to wait once for him already. For me the ending could have been done differently in so many better ways. His mom could have had a chance of redemption and actually teleported him out of the area as her spirit joined her husbands. The old gods might have seen her redemption and saved her son. It would have been so damn easy to write something that let Hunter return to Charlie and enjoy a little peace. Or given it as an option of choice and consequence - where he could either return home or stay with his mother.

I felt it was done partly for the drama and drama for the sake of drama is not good writing, nor a satisfactory ending IMO. I didn't spend all that time with Hunter just to see him die in the end. Oh sure maybe they didn't die, they certainly suggest that in the closing that he was more lost, possibly his mother as well, but it amounts to the same thing - especially since there won't be a sequel based on how poorly the game did - which is the other reason I assume they ended it that way.

I get other people like dark endings, that other people don't get invested in characters, or simply don't care because it's a game. I connect strongly with characters and stories. If I can't then I don't play the game. So I was very annoyed there was no saving Hunter, especially since he told Charlie he would be back. It was uncalled for as they could have easily provided a different ending - even if they planned a sequel it could have been simply to go after and save his mother instead of both of them.

So, it wasn't a bad ending because of objective story content, it was a good ending as far as that goes and typical comic book drama. It was a bad ending because I wanted Hunter to return home. Which is why it killed any replay value. There was no way I could enjoy playing again knowing in the end it was all pointless because Hunter would die or be lost to the world.

She tried to teleport Hunter out along with the heroes - it didn't work. You can see the same yellow shell around Hunter as the other heroes got. The only Elder God still part of the picture is Gaia, and she's a lot weaker than Chthon. I was kinda hoping she would eat Chthon while he was cracking up, but I don't think she's the god-eating type.

But there's another thing, too. Let's say Chthon completely cracks up and both Lilith and Hunter aren't harmed a bit. They go home and everybody's happy - except the thousands of people who died in the carnage, of course. What's the lesson there? Go ahead and do something you know risks the whole world, you'll figure out something before anything too terrible happens! Lilith knew exactly what the Darkhold was and what the scale of the cost would be for using it.

Back
Top Bottom