Personal things you don't need to know

I got new glasses yesterday, and it's my first pair with progressive lenses. Talk about an adjustment. Right now I hate them, but I was told it takes a few days to adjust?

I feel like I'm looking through a fishbowl. There's so much distortion when I look side to side. Is this normal in the beginning?
All glasses distort what you see. Just look at for instance a door through the upper or lower edge of the lenses. So new glasses will initially seem a bit weird, especially if the new ones are significantly stronger, or, in your case, very different. But the brain is very good adapting.

It takes a while getting used to them. Here in Norway there's a 6 month guarantee - in the rare case you never get used to them. Took me just a couple of days. You may however, like me, want a separate pair for computing, where the part of the lenses dedicated to the distance to monitors is larger.

There are also quality differences, top quality lenses are more expensive, but IMO worth it.

pibbuR

PS. I've twice got new glasses with a huge step (more than 1D) in strength. The first time as a teenager. For a couple of days I had some problems walking, because the ground wasn't where I was used to. So I felt like falling all the time. Lasted only for a day or two.

The next time I was 45. I sat at the canteen at my hospital, and noticed they had got larger coffee cups. Nice. Then I noticed there were larger coffee cups everywhere. For a couple of days. DS.

Last edited:
Nod, I recall when I first got progressive lenses, in 2011. It took me maybe a week to fully adjust, after that everything was perfectly fine. During that first week I had major issues adjusting to reading, watching television and simply being able to move/wheel around. It took a little time yet now I'm comfortable with them and would never go back.

It takes a while getting used to them. Here in Norway there's a 6 month guarantee - in the rare case you never get used to them. Took me just a couple of days. You may however, like me, want a separate pair for computing, where the part of the lenses dedicated to the distance to monitors is larger.
Only a 60 day guarantee where I got mine, but I should hope it doesn't take me that long to know if they're for me. No issues using my computer so far. The problem is when I'm walking and looking around.

There are also quality differences, top quality lenses are more expensive, but IMO worth it.
I don't know a great deal about lens makers, but I had several choices and was told Zeiss is a good one, so I went with them.

I don't know a great deal about lens makers, but I had several choices and was told Zeiss is a good one, so I went with them.
Did you have grind choices? With my optometrist I had the choice of grinds - the more you pay the smaller the distorted area. So I got the best, which was called "digital plus" or something, which was recommended for those that spend a lot of time in front of computer screens. It cost quite a bit more than the standard grind.
Took me a while to get used to them, but now I've had them for over a year and I'd never go back.

Did you have grind choices? With my optometrist I had the choice of grinds - the more you pay the smaller the distorted area. So I got the best, which was called "digital plus" or something, which was recommended for those that spend a lot of time in front of computer screens. It cost quite a bit more than the standard grind.
Took me a while to get used to them, but now I've had them for over a year and I'd never go back.
There were options like "high index", but I don't recall what all of them were. I basically opted for everything except "transition" lenses which is when they automatically darken when you step outside. I don't think I had the option you mention though.

There were options like "high index", but I don't recall what all of them were. I basically opted for everything except "transition" lenses which is when they automatically darken when you step outside. I don't think I had the option you mention though.
What was the strength of your previous glasses? Mine were -4..4.5. Which means I can read without glasses at 25 cm distance.

pibbuR

Mine transition when in a car in sunlight as well as while wearing as regular sunglasses. For me, a High Index meant heavier index plastic for lenses (higher refraction index). So my -6.5 high index lens are about 40% or more physically lighter than the ordinary index lenses, for a cost, of course.

Shit....well it pains me to say say but my mother's friend/lover has passed away. You might remember me mention he had bladder cancer, and went on to have surgery.

Well three months later the cancer spread throughout his body and it was the end.

The funeral will be later this week.:hug:

My 15 minutes of fame: For the second time all posts on the start page's Forum Watch section are made (spammed) by me

pibbuR who estimates that within 15 minutes another (filthy!) watcher may destroy the experience

Back
Top Bottom