Regarding the giving and receiving of sexist offence

Ripper

Зичу Вам успіхів
Yes, of course, you were right all along and my old avatar was sexistic, "a little sexist joke at our expense.", at best debatable in terms of intention, but still fine. Stereotypical jokes are fine. Stereotypical jokes about women are fine because true, in essence. Sterotypical jokes about blacks are fine, because the intent is never bad nor personal. Jokes about Jews should also be given a more charitable and tolerant reading.
As long as "we", for example those with the wish of "a higher bar for offense when dealing with jokes", can laugh about stupid others not noticed around here, everything is fine. And it is a bit rich for Myrthos to say something about our jokes and us laughing. He is supposed to be one of us, him tolerating jokes at the expense of others, wasn't he the one tolerating "a little sexist joke at our expense?
/sarcasm.

But of course, the above is meant to be a laugh, to create a smile. At your expense, Ripper.
Good intent though. If you get my drift.

Well, whether or not the intention was a sexist joke, I think a reasonable person would take this as one (not quite the exact image, but essentially the same.)

chicks.jpg

And, let's be very clear again - I think this is fine, because I think the lightheartedness of it is implicit. I'm not 'triggered', God help us. If it's not a joke, I think that's a different problem.

But, I think what you're doing is an example of special pleading; when you do it, it's somehow fine - we just didn't understand the special circumstances. Imagine that image was reversed - would there be any context in which that would seem OK, and should anyone give it the benefit of the doubt?

With regard to jokes about black people or Jews, I think it unlikely that anything in such blatant style could be taken in good humour. But, I do think there are gentle, well-meant jokes about other cultures that can be done. Certainly most of the black and Jewish people I know can take a joke, as can the vast majority of women.

Last edited:
Okay I take a nap and this happens.

I missed the debate but this sounds like a PR thread.
Now, if someone wants to debate this further, open a new thread in the P&R forum as further posts on this subject here will be deleted so that it can get back on track.

Oh right, my bad - hit the wrong forum, but did want to address it.

That said, this does not mean that someone who finds some joke in bad taste or offensive is not allowed to point that out, because they are.

I think your full post was good, but I just wanted to mention that bit. The trouble is if someone wants to point out that a joke was offensive to them, perhaps someone else will want to respond to that, and there's no obvious place to draw the line. In the P&R jokes thread (where we're usually pretty good about confining the edgier stuff) we have an unwritten rule that it's not the place for debates - just the jokes, thanks. Otherwise it gets messy. Unless it's really out of order.

The way I see it, a forum is a bit like a bar. If you want a total free-for-all, by all means run that dive, and sweep up the teeth and glass in the morning. But if you want a halfway civilized place, you can't have people shouting all sorts of horrible, racist, sexist epithets. Yet, you do probably want to let people get on with their conversations as much as possible.

By the way, guys might suck, but chicks hardly rule. If they did so more, would things be much different? Take a look at the Republican women in my country, who have made great strides in terms of reaching positions of power, and then take a look at how quickly so many turned to the dark side, if you will, turned toward the unprincipled seizure of power at any cost, just as soon as someone like Trump opened the door. Take a look at one particular Democratic woman of power, Nancy Pelosi, as she preaches all of her professed altruism out of one side of her mouth while whipping her people to vote against anti-corruption measures that would stop her husband, and hence herself, from becoming even richer from information she only has because the people trusted her to conduct their business.

That dumbass meme means nothing to me. It also doesn't make me laugh, because it doesn't have the ring of truth.

I think your full post was good, but I just wanted to mention that bit. The trouble is if someone wants to point out that a joke was offensive to them, perhaps someone else will want to respond to that, and there's no obvious place to draw the line. In the P&R jokes thread (where we're usually pretty good about confining the edgier stuff) we have an unwritten rule that it's not the place for debates - just the jokes, thanks. Otherwise it gets messy. Unless it's really out of order.

The way I see it, a forum is a bit like a bar. If you want a total free-for-all, by all means run that dive, and sweep up the teeth and glass in the morning. But if you want a halfway civilized place, you can't have people shouting all sorts of horrible, racist, sexist epithets. Yet, you do probably want to let people get on with their conversations as much as possible.
That could be added as a thread guideline once a suitable reaction like rolleyes and/or disagree is added, which could be used to express disagreement.

That could be added as a thread guideline once a suitable reaction like rolleyes and/or disagree is added, which could be used to express disagreement.

I knew it. :biggrin:

Obviously if the choice is between disallowing any kind of reply or reaction vs. only allowing a reaction, the latter is still the better choice in this circumstance. If you find a certain joke problematic for whatever reason, it's good to have some means of expressing that as that can make a difference in the joke poster's own perception of the joke in the end.

Obviously if the choice is between disallowing any kind of reply or reaction vs. only allowing a reaction, the latter is still the better choice in this circumstance.
I wouldn't say that's obvious. I think, like in the P&R jokes thread, a "just the jokes" policy is fine. But, I'm not closed-minded to it. It's going to happen, and we'll see how it works out. I just feel that the dynamic of brigading and 'ratioing' is not generally a constructive thing. If we look at the button parade of the Codex, I think it has a sort disciplining effect towards the consensus mind, which doesn't strike me as a good thing.

Real Time with Bill Maher: John Cleese on Political Incorrectness (HBO)

My opinion: You can make fun of every group in this world as long you don't have bad intentions.

Encapsulate the issue for us ignorant trolls in the cellar, Ripper. What did you say, and how were you moderated?

You missed that last sentence I added.
Yes, it wasn't there when I replied. It's a fair point, but I'm not sure that it addresses what I'm saying.

Encapsulate the issue for us ignorant trolls in the cellar, Ripper. What did you say, and how were you moderated?
Oh, no - no dodgy moderation. Just told to get thee to a new thread, which is fair enough. Started with a bit of bumping heads in the Daily Smile thread. I can see why they were pissed off at me, as I was a bit annoyed, and think they misunderstood my point, and saw it as me resorting to dirty tactics. At least in my mind, I wasn't.

Alright, I think I get it. Your post was put down here because you called out the dumbass meme, and that's not allowed in civil society. But civil society is drowning in dumbass memes that are making society dumber, if more civil, or at least quieter and less confrontational. That about right?

Edit:
And I posted before I saw your last post. Where's our damn line explaining an edit? We trolls who aspire to responsibility need it.

Last edited:
And that's a poor substitute for an actual thought, just like the Codex's beloved buttons they just love to press. Y'all should reread 1984, especially the parts of what Orwell had to say about the dumbing down of language, the use of acronyms, buttons, etc. Their society was awfully quiet but hardly civil.

Just a thought, but maybe we could have a separate thread for racier jokes/memes.

Within reason of course. Nothing that's straight up offensive. Just stuff that might be too spicy for the Daily Smile thread.

Just a thought, but maybe we could have a separate thread for racier jokes/memes.

Within reason of course. Nothing that's straight up offensive. Just stuff that might be too spicy for the Daily Smile thread.
Rather than getting into many levels of acceptable humour, I tend to put anything remotely contentious in the P&R jokes thread, to save hassle.

Back
Top Bottom