Tablets

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
I'm looking at getting a new tablet. I recently lost mine which was an Amazon Fire tablet I had for about 5 years. I'm debating on getting a newer model or trying a different brand. Any opinions on what's good? I'll mainly use it for reading ebooks and surfing the web when I'm not at my desk.

I'm not a fan of iOS, so I'm not considering an iPad. It looks like the major competitors are just Amazon and Samsung. Is there something else out there I don't know about?

*Edit* I should add that I'm not interested in the larger tablets that come with a keyboard.

I like the Lenovo Tab M10 , it's a 10 inch tablet running Android 10. I mainly use to as a eReader and prefer a 10 " screen in portrait mode. It Galaxy Tabs are too expensive and Samsung add too much bloatware.

Funnily enough, just got a tablet for my mum. Went with a Galaxy Tab S8. The Samsungs are pricey, but it feels very well-made, and she really liked the idea of the writing pen. I do agree about Samsung bloatware - I'm comfortable tinkering around with Linux servers, but all the shite that pops up at you while setting these damn things up makes my head spin!

One other thing I'd say is it's a bit of a confusing minefield when looking to buy. So many different models and variations within models - even differences between tablets with the same model name, but depending on which year's version it is!

The last two tablets I've bought (an 8" and a 10" one) I went with Lenovo. In both cases they were similarly spec'ed to the rival Samsung ones I looked at, but were significantly cheaper. I have no regrets.

They were both only quad core, though, and now they're getting a bit long in the tooth. Still fine for using as streaming service remotes or watching movies on - I just don't expect the flasher games to work well.

I've been looking at gruntier tier 10" tablets recently - proper FHD and octa-core - and Lenovo still seems to be cheaper over here when compared to similarly spec'ed Samsungs. So... I imagine that's what I'll be getting again.

A local shop is offering the Lenovo M10 Plus (3rd gen) for 30% off, so I think that's what I'm going for.
10.6", 1200x2000 resolution, Android 12, 128GB (+SD slot), Octa-core Helio G80, blah blah.

FYI if you're not in a hurry, Google announced a new Pixel tablet for 2023. They usually have very good quality products, they're the first to get Android updates and more importantly, they're free of all the bloatware and customizations. But I don't think a date was announced, and it may be expensive.

The best tablet I had was the Nexus 7.

FYI if you're not in a hurry, Google announced a new Pixel tablet for 2023. They usually have very good quality products, they're the first to get Android updates and more importantly, they're free of all the bloatware and customizations. But I don't think a date was announced, and it may be expensive.

The best tablet I had was the Nexus 7.
I looked at the Pixel, but that's a higher-end tablet which I don't need. I'm also getting a new laptop, and I mainly just want the tablet for reading.

I wonder why Google stopped making the Nexus series.

I loved my Amazon Fire Tablet, used it for many years to read books, get email, and do light web browsing. It still works but battery no longer holds a charge which makes it far less useful. Some good ideas here for new ones though.

For reading e-books nothing beats e-paper in my opinion.
I have a Kobo e-reader for that and a Samsung tablet for the rest, suits me fine.

I wonder why Google stopped making the Nexus series.
I think at some point Google stopped making products with partners (Nexus) and started designing their own products (Pixel), still using manufacturers to built them or part of them but with another relationship. That's when their prices soared. I suppose they wanted to have their say in the design and to have their brand on it instead of others' (and possibly earn more money out of it).

I think at some point Google stopped making products with partners (Nexus) and started designing their own products (Pixel), still using manufacturers to built them or part of them but with another relationship. That's when their prices soared. I suppose they wanted to have their say in the design and to have their brand on it instead of others' (and possibly earn more money out of it).
I believe they wanted to consolidate on making software only. But apparently this changed again some time ago, there were a couple of years no new releases from Google hardware.

I have a MS Surface 4. Old now, but still very happy with that. Not as many apps as android and ios, but I don't miss anything. And since it's windows, I can run the software I normally use.

I can play not too demanding games. As I sad, it's old. Recent models perform much better.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up getting another Amazon Fire tablet. I got the Fire HD 10 Plus.

I did take a look at some tablets from Samsung and Lenovo too. The Samsung models seemed like more than what I needed, and for those prices I could almost buy a laptop which I'm doing anyways.

As for the Lenovo M10, I just didn't like the feel of it. That one has an angular edge around the tablet that didn't feel comfortable in my hands. Probably a non-issue for most people, but it's a factor for me since I plan on using my tablet for a lot of reading.

Back
Top Bottom