What are you reading?

Yep. Chiang has only ever written short fiction and non-fiction (about AI n struff). That's one of his claims to fame, that he's massively respected and has an impressive number of awards for someone who only ever dabbles in the short form.
Alright, thanks.

I had hoped Exhalations could give me a taste of what his novels might be like, but since that's not the case his writing is not for me 🙂

I wrapped up Court of Thorns and Roses this morning, it leaned a bit too much into romance for my liking yet overall the story of humans and fae interacting and sharing the world was enjoyable. I've a bit of a wait for the next book so I might be going back to the Spenser tales.

Beacon 23 by Hugh Howey is a strange mix. I spent 3/4 of the book laughing at the deadpan dark humour, but the last part is more engaged, with a slightly different mood. This last part corresponds to the last two books of the series (it was first published as 5 consecutive books), but the books were published in a quick succession, so I don't think it's accidental. It must reflect the change in the main protagonist, and it feels a little strange but not in a bad way.

I enjoyed it, even though it's shorter and more casual that what I'm used to. The greater part of the book has a completely different style from Silo.

I made quick work of the Spenser Christmas tale, which was a good yarn. I think it's one of Parker's last manuscripts, so I know I'm getting to the point where the substitute writers will be taking over. I hope they can live up to the past stellar quality.

Back
Top Bottom