Did you know that the very old alternative browser "Sea Monkey" is still doing new versions?

Arkadia7

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor
I don't know about you, but I have always been an "alternative" type person. That covers many things, including browsers. So I always have been using and experimenting with strange browsers that only a tiny fraction even use, much less have heard of. Well, one of those browsers that has been around for years and years is Seamonkey. Seamonkey basically was born out of people who were unhappy many years ago when Mozilla started becoming too "mainstream" and they didn't like the new direction that Mozilla was taken.

here is what wikipedia says about it:

SeaMonkey is a free and open-source Internet suite. It is the continuation of the former Mozilla Application Suite, based on the same source code, which itself grew out of Netscape Communicator and formed the base of Netscape 6 and Netscape 7.

SeaMonkey was created in 2005 after the Mozilla Foundation decided to focus on the standalone projects Firefox and Thunderbird. The development of SeaMonkey is community-driven, in contrast to the Mozilla Application Suite, which until its last released version (1.7.13) was governed by the Mozilla Foundation.
The new project-leading group is called the SeaMonkey Council.

Compared to Firefox, the SeaMonkey web browser keeps the more traditional-looking interface of Netscape and the Mozilla Application Suite, most notably the XUL architecture. This allows the user to extend SeaMonkey by modifying add-ons for Thunderbird or the add-ons that were formerly compatible with Firefox before the latter switched to WebExtensions.

End of Wikipedia text

I agreed with that sentiment, (that Mozilla was becoming too corporate and mainstream) so I downloaded Seamonkey to try it - way back then. That said - I admit,
I never really used the browser that much. I found other alternatives that I liked much better, such as Pale Moon and Waterfox. (which I still use up to this present day)

Well, I found out that Sea Monkey is still going strong. It's amazing that they are able to keep Seamonkey going and that they still have enough people willing to work on it and presumably, use it, even in 2023. Here is the recent releases page for those who might be interested.

Anyway, I have been using it tonight just to see, and it works better than you might think. I'm pretty impressed.

Oh. It still exists ? I used it ages ago.

Oh. It still exists ? I used it ages ago.
Yes, here is a screenshot of it. You will notice it is very reminiscent of the old but very popular at one time browser, Netscape Navigator, if you remember that browser.
This is pretty awesome, that they still have a browser that works great using the internet, but still looks like this today:

Screenshot 2023-03-04 10.53.47.png

Back
Top Bottom