Elex 2 Elex 2 Discussion

This one is part of Humble Choice this month. Steam reviews are mixed - is it worth picking up?

Edit - I own but am yet to play the first one.

Thanks

If you like their style (Piranha Bytes) when it comes to the quests and exploration, it's a no-brainer. You also get a lot of content for the price. The game is quite long if you do all the sidequests.

The first one is much better imho. I've tried to get into Elex 2 but I just can't do it. It plays with the Elex 1 lore and settings in a way that annoys me greatly. If you haven't played the first, maybe you'll like it though.

I found it to be just another reskinned Elex. So if you liked the first game you should have no problems with the sequel. Only problems I had playing was texture errors.

That was fixed with the beta DX12 update though. Also the ending is terrible.

It wouldn't make much sense to play Elex 2 without playing Elex first.

I don't see how it plays with the lore or setting of the first game much. I do agree that the first game is better though.

My turn!

I'm mostly loving the game. The PB worlds are just so fun to explore - maybe because I can hoover up absolutely every little water bottle and dead rat in the game.

I went all the way up north and joined the Albs, with intent to join the Clerics later. I figured having Alb magic and Caja bringing Berserker magic, we would be a great team. But this Alb magic... yuck.
View: https://youtu.be/h83KmAYvUF8?si=Qrme4V6u4xkCn0kL

I can hardly see what I'm doing, especially at night! It's tough to get your not-mana back, too, unless you want to slaughter rats and other vermin wholesale.

I've got a save from just before getting the lightning bolt - maybe I'll take that back and keep working on my bow skills instead. (I've got a shotgun, but barely any ammo.) Or maybe I should look for an older save and go Berserker? Ugh.

I finished elex 2 about a week ago. It starts out okay/good but goes downhill the further you get. The game should of finished at the end of the second Act. Act 3 and 4 consist of basically doing the same thing over and over again. What makes it even worse is that it keeps sending you back to the same locations (or very similar locations i.e. "converters" and just throwing more and more enemies at you. Some missions literally consist of you being sent to 4 locations and having to fight 20 enemies per location. The follow up quest was to kill another 40-50 enemies across another 3 locations. By that stage of the game you could kill 10 enemies with a single press of a button (fire rain).

The game world was also big but I don't think that was a problem here. Some of the locations were quite well designed but they just didn't have any meaningful content at all associated with them. It seemed like half the locations in the game were used solely for the highly repetitive companion quests. These quests involve talking to a companion and then instantly teleporting to a location where you have to kill 5-6 enemies. These quests also repeat over and over again. I think Caja, Fox and Bully had around 10 of them of each. Falk and Nasty were slightly more interesting but dear god C.R.O.N.Y had what felt like 20 iterations of the EXACT same quest.

It also has the worst respawn mechanism of any PB game to date. At least Elex didn't respawn anywhere near as aggressively as Elex 2 does.

If I was scoring it on Act 1 and 2 I would give it a 6 or even a generous 7. But the middle and end of the game drops it down to a score of around 4.

I enjoyed levelling up attributes to godly levels, farming mutants and trolls, and skyands. The most fun for me was to learning how to beat everything using only melee combat.

I've got a save from just before getting the lightning bolt - maybe I'll take that back and keep working on my bow skills instead. (I've got a shotgun, but barely any ammo.) Or maybe I should look for an older save and go Berserker? Ugh.
My recommendation: Choose your faction(s) for story/lore reasons only, not for the fighting mechanisms. I tried all factions in several playthroughs and found, that each of them has specific lore, additional side quests and story aspects. That said, look at the plasma/energy weapons of the Albs, some of them have specific strengths against robots, for example. I personally preferred bows for far reaching ranged fights and shotgun for melee range, comletely regardless of the faction I was playing. I only used other weapons for robots or ins specific situations.
In fact, I believe that one of the upgraded shotguns is the best weapon in the game, even better than the best spells, bombs etc.

It also has the worst respawn mechanism of any PB game to date. At least Elex didn't respawn anywhere near as aggressively as Elex 2 does.
What IS the respawn mechanism? So far, nothing has respawned except maybe rats and their ilk. Do they respawn at the chapter marks?

Regarding the go-to-this-place-and-kill-a-bunch, didn't we do that a lot in ELEX 1, also? We had to defeat all those frosty towers.

I had a save that was just 5 hours old, so I went back to that. 5 hours would be a lot, but when you know how quests go, they go by a lot faster, so I probably only lost a couple of hours. I love my magic, so I would rather have one that isn't blinding.

Do ranged weapons ever get sockets at all?? I'm letting my companions deal with melee (sorry CRONY), but I'm starting to think I blew a learning point on sockets.

The energy weapons do look really good, and their stat dependency is the same as magic, so I'll likely end up on those. We'll see what I can find lying around. Or maybe that guy that wants me to steal rations can provide some.

P.S. I accidentally finished chapter 1 a while ago, but quickly did a re-load as I hadn't even joined a faction yet.

HUGE props to this game for putting in a big callback to Alfred Hitchcock & The Three Investigators! That was one of my favorite series as a kid! Now somebody stick in a Johnny Sokko. (Quickly - before all the game designers that have heard of that show retire!)

What IS the respawn mechanism? So far, nothing has respawned except maybe rats and their ilk. Do they respawn at the chapter marks?
To answer my own question: yep. I went ahead and moved to chapter 2. The places with stronger enemies before now have even stronger enemies. I wonder if it's scaled to level, though. I think I likely got to ch. 2 later than most players and yet the levels seem just right.
Do ranged weapons ever get sockets at all?? I'm letting my companions deal with melee (sorry CRONY), but I'm starting to think I blew a learning point on sockets.
I still haven't found any ranged weapon that has sockets. I've bumped into two legendary energy weapons with no sockets, too, so I'm pretty sure that learning point was wasted. (Never burn a learning point until you know you'll need it!)
The energy weapons do look really good, and their stat dependency is the same as magic, so I'll likely end up on those. We'll see what I can find lying around. Or maybe that guy that wants me to steal rations can provide some.
Not quite. Energy weapons are Dex and Int, magic is Int and Con. (Dex and Strength for bows and crossbows.)

To answer my own question: yep. I went ahead and moved to chapter 2. The places with stronger enemies before now have even stronger enemies. I wonder if it's scaled to level, though. I think I likely got to ch. 2 later than most players and yet the levels seem just right.
I don't think it's scaled to the player's level because I remember some of the companion quests being way harder than others at the same level. I could be wrong though.

I didn't have an issue with the way they did respawns. To me, it seemed like pretty much the same way they've always done it in their games.

I think Elex 2 is the first PB game I haven't bothered to finish. The beginning wasn't bad, but after a while, it gets way too repetitive and it failed to capture my interest.

Last edited:
I don't think it's scaled to the player's level because I remember some of the companion quests being way harder than others at the same level.
Yeah, those certainly don't! Hey, let's go talk to the Clerics with Nasty... and get a squad full of robots attacking!

Speaking of - that ammo creation thing looks to be a pretty terrible skill. Arrows only cost 2 each. To make 5 of them costs 2 iron and some scrap - but you could sell the 2 iron for 10 and buy 5 arrows. So, I'm losing money making my own arrows!?

After 5 or 6 days some enemies respawn. Others never respawn except maybe at chapter changes?
Sounds right. Iirc, some mobs only partially respawned at first? For example, if a particular spot had 6 mutants, and you cleared that area, a few days later there would be 2-3 mutants back.

I think Elex 2 is the first PB game I haven't bothered to finish. The beginning wasn't bad, but after a while, it gets way to repetitive and it failed to capture my interest.
I enjoyed it through the beginning and middle. It wasn't until the endgame that I started to burn out because of the repetitiveness. I still finished it, but it's one that I probably wouldn't replay. I've finished all of PB's games except Gothic 3.

All these thread's just make me sad as the third game for that cliffhanger ending will never get released. As PB is all but dead according to past announcements.

Sounds right. Iirc, some mobs only partially respawned at first? For example, if a particular spot had 6 mutants, and you cleared that area, a few days later there would be 2-3 mutants back.
The big mutant groups fully respawn after 5 or 6 days, same for the skyands in the formers. Some areas respawn trolls every 5 or 6 days too. Have to get lucky there. Trolls won't have a chance to respawn unless you kill what did spawn.

Back
Top Bottom