General News - AZTAKA:- Demo Released

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
Staff Member
Indie action-rpg Aztaka which was released earlier this month has made a Demo available for immediate download. Details can be found on their site, Here.
More information.

Downloaded and played it for a bit. Nice graphics but scrolling is jittery on my laptop. RPG story (you are the chosen one), items, levels, skills are there. The occasional platformy jumping puzzle. Like it.

I've been playing it for a while and review it soon. The term RPG is best skirted, just compare it to hack 'n slashes in the Diablo mold, but only as a platformer. The platform jumping elements and RPG elements combine well

And the entire game is ruined by the lack of a save function and its completel nebulous and infrequent auto-saves. I've never seen a game so thoroughly ruined by one bad design decision, but there you have it.

it's a sonic-clone with some kind of fantasy background as far as graphics and sound are concerned.

just WHY do you keep calling it a rpg? :bigcry:

it's like trying to convince people that an ananas is actually a banana, since approximately the same vowels seem to be there, somewhere ?
________
Iolite vaporizer problems

Last edited:
just WHY do you keep calling it a rpg? :bigcry:

It has about as many RPG elements as the average hack 'n slash. RPGWatch covers hack 'n slashes. I really fail to see the problem.

I like the demo for its unusual gameplay (setting, nice 2D GFX, platformer/rpgmix), but also stumbled over frequent death and no possiblity to load a savegame in the demo. I hoped that that would be a demo thing and the full game allows saving at any time....

I'm playing the game and really enjoying it.
After a very bland start it's going better and better on level after level.

Anyway I must say it has big problems too: it's bugged as hell, no keybinding or advanced options and autosave system sucks badly )it can even broke your entire game cause of some "dead end bug").

My advise for other gamers is "Wait for a patch then buy it".

P.S. Sorry for my english. I'm not very used to it.

As to the savegame process, you do save the game every time you finish a level or if you walk back to the entrance and step out. I would step out if I found an item I wanted to be sure to keep. Not a game mechanic that I like, but it is working the way they planned it. I would not expect the full game to be any different.

Also I thought the use of the WASD keys and mouse was well planned out. You never have to adjust your hands when playing and it's a clever appropriation of the first person style of control. Still I can see why keymapping might be nice, but the default controls worked for me.

I don't consider either of those to be bugs, just design choices. What bugs did you encounter? It ran fine for me, just wondering.

Also I thought the use of the WASD keys and mouse was well planned out. You never have to adjust your hands when playing and it's a clever appropriation of the first person style of control. Still I can see why keymapping might be nice, but the default controls worked for me.
Well, good for you.
Sadly, I'm left handed and WASD configuration is very annoying for me.

I don't consider either of those to be bugs, just design choices. What bugs did you encounter? It ran fine for me, just wondering.
For instance, in swamps if you leave the zone before you defeat the snake, when you come back for the fight game stuck just after you kill it.
And it's a "saved"situation you can't fix, so you are forced to trash your "player profile" and start a new game.
A really annoying bug, believe me.

Plus: there are balance issues, like items wich can give you permanently stat increase... And they can be farmed shamelessly, going to break the game.
http://forums.citeremis.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=245
You can read about more bugs or graphic glitches on the official forum.

Again: I heartly suggest anyone to buy it cause it's an amazing game, but just after a solid patch.

Last edited:
About keys... I hate WASD and I always edit it. Dunno in demo, but you can edit them inside the ini file (don't ask me what key is represented by what number, it's try and error scheme).

Saving doesn't exist in the full game. You have to get a "skill" to be able to restore on the spot you were killed.

Bugs? Ok, every game has one or two maybe more. But this game has critical ones!
And there is no known hex edit option or cheat console to fix it (anyone remember such fixes before the patch came out for an oooooooold! Icewind Dale 2?).

Sorry but I don't like this game at all.
If Aztaka was released 4-5 years ago, it would probably be a hit. Today it looks as just adding one more nice looking tin can to an already big heap of junk.
Maybe the possible patch will change my opinion on it.

Next indy game? I'm already prepared for:
http://basiliskgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1571

Basilisk Games announces Eschalon: Book II

INDIANAPOLIS, Indiana – June 10, 2008 – Basilisk Games, an independent computer game developer specializing in role-playing games, today announced that Eschalon: Book II has entered full production and is expected to be released Q2 2009 for Windows, Macintosh and Linux-based computers.

Well, good for you.
Sadly, I'm left handed and WASD configuration is very annoying for me.

Point to you. I agree that would annoying.

Seems that every new developer needs to go through a few products before they figure out certain conventions are conventions for a reason. Configuring the key layout and save at will being the two missed here.

I was playing the demo and so didn't run into the bugs later on. I think I will hold off pending a patch. Still interesting game play.

Back
Top Bottom