Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord - Release Date: May 23

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Otaku Authority reports that the Wizardry 1 remake Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord will be released on May 23:

Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord remake launches May 23 for consoles and PC

Digital Eclipse has announced that its remake of Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord will leave Early Access and launch for PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series, Xbox One, Switch, Steam and GOG on May 23.

In 1981, SirTech released the first game in what would soon become a legendary RPG series - Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord for the Apple II. As the very first party-based dungeon crawler, it was one of the key games that launched the role-playing genre, directly inspiring enduring series like Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, and Demon's Souls.

Now Digital Eclipse, a studio dedicated to the historical preservation of video games, is treating RPG fans worldwide to a full 3D remaster of this genre-defining game.

Following last year's Early Access release on Steam and GOG, Digital Eclipse's Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord remaster will be released on May 23 in its fully completed form for Nintendo Switch, PlayStation, Xbox, and PC.

REVIEW COPIES: We'll have keys for all platforms in early May. If you want to review Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord, please write back with your preferred platform. (If you are requesting Switch or PlayStation codes, please include your hardware region.)

[...]
Thanks blatantninja!

More information.

I never played this as a kid, but always wanted to. Think I'll give it a spin!

Has anyone played it recently? I remember some Watchers saying it was pretty buggy when it was first released into EA. Steam reviews are pretty good now.

I will most likely get this when it's released. I refunded it when it first came out because it was a buggy mess and I couldn't even make a custom party. It looks like most of the bugs have been squashed and the reviews look positive. I'm surprised it's being released this fast and I will wait for some reviews on release. Nostalgia will get me on the original Wizardry.

Has anyone played it recently? I remember some Watchers saying it was pretty buggy when it was first released into EA. Steam reviews are pretty good now.
The biggest complaint i see is that combat speed is too slow and not adjustable. I think this is a big enough barrier to prevent me from buying it given my experience with wiz-8 (an after the fact hack was released to speed up the animation i believe with the assistance of Brenda).

What is more irking is the option is in the menu (from the original) it just doesn't work and dev have stated they do not plan on making it work.

Back
Top Bottom