XenForo forums: Tips, Tricks & Questions

I'm still getting intermittent pauses on the forum. It's random, but sometimes there's a short wait between clicking a link and it taking me there, while other times it's instantaneous. It's not on my end because other sites react immediately.

It could simply be impatience on my part. Maybe the server just isn't very fast?

The server's more than fast enough, this could be down to any number of things, but usually it's an issue on route from your location to the server. Such issues are usually temporary, but if it's something that you see happening over periods of weeks rather than days, it could be something else. Is anyone else experiencing this?

I experience pauses now and then but not too often to be really annoying. It stops responding for a few seconds, up to 30 seconds sometimes, which is more rare. I just thought it was doing a backup or rebooting.

Reboots aren't common, but backups are being done a few times per day. However, backup periods are longer than a few seconds, so when backups are being run, the site won't respond for a couple of minutes.

How again do I jump to the newest unread entry in a thread after some days of absence ?

How again do I jump to the newest unread entry in a thread after some days of absence ?
Just click on the title when it's in bold. I'm checking new posts from What's New (a variant of it showing visited threads, too) and it looks like the screenshot below. Sometimes it's bugged, though, and you must mark the whole forum as read to fix it (I think it happens after a few weeks without marking the whole forum as read).

If you've already visited a thread, it's not in bold. In this case, if you want to see the last post, you have to click on the date (on the right), because clicking on the title only brings you to the first post.

1716717165408.png

Thanks. I'll try this out. Because after 2 weeks of vacation I just want ti pick up any dicussion rather where I left ...

Well, try it. I use Firefox myself so I've never seen this.
I have. It's like a browser without the URL bar and bookmarks (see below), and it runs in the exact same process as the browser - for example, chrome.exe, and shares the same cookies. I doubt it's really isolated as the pop-up below suggests by 'safely run in its own window'. You can setup a few basic options like tracking prevention, and you can pin the nice RPGWatch icon to the taskbar or even launch it when you start Windows.

There's no real interest, but I'm surprised. I've checked a few other websites, but it's the only one I've seen proposing that option.

1716968279455.png

I suppose it's this. And indeed, I see the same when I'm in XenForo's forums. So it must have been there all the time...

Yep, XF is adding lots of new things faster than I can keep track. And a ton more will be coming in 2.3.

Anyway, this is a nice extra option for mobiles that basically gives the Watch its own mobile app, to an extent.

Back
Top Bottom