Fallout 3 - Creation Kit and DLC

I just like the game for what it is, a post-apocalyptic free-roaming rpg called Fallout 3. Some people are incredibly offended by that name, which i cannot understand. Sequels to anything are seldom very much like their predecessors, and often for good reason. More of the same would often be called, well - "just more of the same".

It's Fallout 3 and it's different from the previous games. Get over it already!

See, eventually the basement dwellers will get over it. I wonder if they ever come out of the basement looking for a water chip? (j/k)

It is kinda funny the amount of backlash out there, then when given the tools they complain its too much work to do anything with the construction set. I'm one of those people who liked the originals and liked this one....heaven for bid, guess this makes me a moron in their self rightous minds, could care less really. I have even received hate male from one person, threatening and everything, this is the strange world of the internet.

Some people are incredibly offended by that name, which i cannot understand. Sequels to anything are seldom very much like their predecessors, and often for good reason. More of the same would often be called, well - "just more of the same". It's Fallout 3 and it's different from the previous games. Get over it already!

Not true. Halo series, GTA series, KOTOR 1&2, Fallout 1&2, BG 1&2... I could give you a nigh endless list of sequels which are very much like their predecessors. Most sequels consist in more content and a refinement of a proven formula. Most people are willing to pay for "more of the same".

Calling it Fallout "3" entails stuff. People start expecting certain things. Yet, at best Fallout 3 is as much a sequel to Fallout 2 as Bioshock is a sequel to System Shock II. But see they were smarter, they didn't call it System Shock III, and nobody complained.
If you tell people you're making a "sequel", they'll want a sequel. Words have a meaning. In my country, if you're selling a chocolate bar as "chocolate bar" and it has less than a certain % of cocoa it's called "false advertisement" and you can be sued.

I bought Fallout 3 expecting a sequel, I didn't get one. Hence I'm disappointed despite it being a very good game. If video games were a serious matter, misled costumers should be getting a refund.

Not true. Halo series, GTA series, KOTOR 1&2, Fallout 1&2, BG 1&2... I could give you a nigh endless list of sequels which are very much like their predecessors. Most sequels consist in more content and a refinement of a proven formula. Most people are willing to pay for "more of the same"..

All very bad examples. Those game sequels were released within a year or 2 of each other, not 10+ years later like Fallout 3.

Calling it Fallout "3" entails stuff. People start expecting certain things. Yet, at best Fallout 3 is as much a sequel to Fallout 2 as Bioshock is a sequel to System Shock II. But see they were smarter, they didn't call it System Shock III, and nobody complained.
If you tell people you're making a "sequel", they'll want a sequel. Words have a meaning. In my country, if you're selling a chocolate bar as "chocolate bar" and it has less than a certain % of cocoa it's called "false advertisement" and you can be sued.

I bought Fallout 3 expecting a sequel, I didn't get one. Hence I'm disappointed despite it being a very good game. If video games were a serious matter, misled costumers should be getting a refund.

No offense, but it sounds like you were a victim of your own naivety. Did you really expect a sequel that was developed more that a Decade later to include turn-based combat and an isometric view?

Also, nobody was "misled" in the slightest. Bethesda provided an accurate description of FO3, along with many screenshots and video clips, long before it was released.

It's a matter of perspective - I think that you got a worthy sequel to a 90's game, it just didnt turn out how you wanted it to in the year 2008. Personally, I'll gladly trade a few towns of static npcs for a wide open static world to explore. Then again, I'm more of an explorer type of gamer. Bird's eye view? Maybe if I was playing an RTS, I'm fine w/ the lower first/3rd person view. Dare I say there's been some improvements.

It's got the same kinda retro-future holocaust theme, lots of quests, you get to fiddle w/ your stats and all that every level, everything can be interacted with - I think it's a great Fallout RPG. No a "cocoa-based product" to me, this is Fallout 3 and I'm havin a good time w/ it!

Matter of perspective = ]

I'm getting complaints about cross-site trolling. Could people PLEASE avoid making comments about those on other sites who disagree with you about the merits of this game. Leave that to some of those other places, thank you!!

will be available for free download in December and will allow Games for Windows® users to create and add their own content to the game.

What does this mean? I have to be subscribed to some silly Microsoft service in order to get the editor?

Not true. Halo series, GTA series, KOTOR 1&2, Fallout 1&2, BG 1&2... I could give you a nigh endless list of sequels which are very much like their predecessors. Most sequels consist in more content and a refinement of a proven formula. Most people are willing to pay for "more of the same".

Heh, you do realize the reason it was called bioshock had nothing to do with why you are stating they were smarter, how about......they didn't own the rights. Thats why they went the bioshock route.

Also, corwin, I hope you were not implying I was cross site trolling since I merely mentioned some psycho harrassing my email.

I'm getting complaints about cross-site trolling. Could people PLEASE avoid making comments about those on other sites who disagree with you about the merits of this game. Leave that to some of those other places, thank you!!

Oh, come. Now how will those people express their smug superiority and whine about other people whining while thinking that "irony" is something to do with iron? The bleating is just so precious, not to mention the whole little-girl "not enough guts to go over there and bitch to their faces." D'awwww.

About as Predictable as the shitbox morons comming to defend these junk "games". FO3 is a braindead turd, no "geck" can change that.

You just made my morning. :lol:

Sorry, won't happen again. I'm just going to have to create accounts on those other sites!

What does this mean? I have to be subscribed to some silly Microsoft service in order to get the editor?

Unlikely. Calling PC gaming that is just Microsoft's way to promote their Windows gaming initiative.

Last edited:
I felt that the Brotherhood was rather under cooked, now I know why.

I won't be bothering with the DLC after what they did with Oblivion and stick it all on the first expansion. For the PC anyway, not sure about the Xbox.

No offense, but it sounds like you were a victim of your own naivety. Did you really expect a sequel that was developed more that a Decade later to include turn-based combat and an isometric view?

Also, nobody was "misled" in the slightest. Bethesda provided an accurate description of FO3, along with many screenshots and video clips, long before it was released.

I don't understand why saying Fallout 3 is not a sequel to Fallout 1 & 2 and that Bethesda shouldn't have called it that way is causing such disagreement. I'm stating an opinion, and forums are the perfect place to do it. I'm not even saying F3 isn't a great game and that people shouldn't buy it.

Why should I agree with every decision Bethesda makes? I've given several reasons why Fallout 3 should have been given a different name.

No one so far has given any solid argument why Bethesda was right to call it that way, apart from the "they own it, they can". Yeah so what? If I'm rich enough I can buy a Van Gogh, piss on it, and tear it with my kitchen knife. Just because the law doesn't forbid it, doesn't mean it's a smart thing to do.

A sequel isn't a sequel just because the publisher prints it on the box. There's a reason why Fallout Tactics and Fallout BOS weren't called Fallout 3 and Fallout 4.

Indeed a turn based isometric sequel probably wouldn't have sold as well. And it was just logical for Bethesda to not make one and I wasn't surprised by that decision.

I am merely arguing that the name is not adequate. And that everyone would have been better off with a different name: the press (even better reviews due to not comparing it to F1&2) and long time fans. And most F3 customers never bought F1&F2 so they wouldn't care.

All very bad examples. Those game sequels were released within a year or 2 of each other, not 10+ years later like Fallout 3.

Ok my examples weren't the best, how bout Diablo III? The first was released in 1997. That's going to be more than 12 years ago (and almost 10 years from D2) when D3 is released, yet the mechanisms remain mostly the same. What was the internet arguing about? The COLOR PALETTE (lol).

And how much do you bet F4 is going to be "very much more of the same" as compared to F3?

Last edited:
Ok my examples weren't the best, how bout Diablo III? The first was released in 1997. That's going to be more than 12 years ago (and almost 10 years from D2) when D3 is released, yet the mechanisms remain mostly the same. What was the internet arguing about? The COLOR PALETTE (lol).

Not a fair comparison either imho. Diablo sold millions (and is still selling like hot cakes) and started a whole new flood of diablo-clones while fallout produced one sequel and then died. Isometric turn based combat rpgs were never as popular as isometric realtime action rpgs.

If fallout had sold millions and started a flood of fallout clones Im sure we would see a faithful sequel to that series too.

In the end its all about what buyers want and the most popular elements of gaming are action and 3D. Everyone is able to vote with his money. If you want more isometric action games buy diablos, if you want more TB rpgs buy more of those (might be a bit late now though).

Last edited:
Not a fair comparison either imho. Diablo sold millions (and is still selling like hot cakes) and started a whole new flood of diablo-clones while fallout produced one sequel and then died. Isometric turn based combat rpgs were never as popular as isometric realtime action rpgs.
Agreed, the comparison was weak, but most comparisons are. I was merely trying to counter the statement that "sequels to anything are seldom very much like their predecessors".

If fallout had sold millions and started a flood of fallout clones Im sure we would see a faithful sequel to that series too.
That's rather an argument that questions why Bethesda decided to bother reviving the franchise at all. It's not an argument for or against deciding to call their new game Fallout "3".

In the end its all about what buyers want and the most popular elements of gaming are action and 3D. Everyone is able to vote with his money. If you want more isometric action games buy diablos, if you want more TB rpgs buy more of those (might be a bit late now though).
And I never questioned the logic behind Bethesda's decision to do a 3D action fps hybrid (I complained about it when details about F3 began to surface, but I understood why Bethesda was doing it). Again your argument here doesn't justify Bethesda's decision to call it Fallout "3". It only justifies their decision to not stick to turn-based isometric.

It is justified because Fallout 3 has a similar style. Maybe not so much in gameplay, but in time-line, design, characters, theme, perks, etc. I'm not a hardcore Fallout historian, so I don't know all the details about every minute event that happened in the Fallout history, but I'm sure they messed some of that up somewhere, probably knowingly. I also don't know all those Fallout spin-offs, so I can't tell why they weren't called Fallout 3. My guess would be that the techology at the time was so similar to the original games and the game design so different that it made sense.

But nowadays... I don't see the problem. You know, for all I care, they would've called Fallout: Tactics a sequel, but I guess they wanted to emphasize the idea of Fallout... but now tactical a little bit.

It's interesting that Wikipedia says:

"Although the game [Fallout: Tactics] takes place in the Fallout universe, it does not follow or continue the story of either Fallout or Fallout 2. Due to contradictions with the story and setting of those games, original Fallout creators and the creators of Fallout 3 consider Fallout Tactics non-canon[5]. In Fallout 3, one of the Brotherhood of Steel knights explains that the Chicago-based Brotherhood featured in Fallout Tactics "went rogue. Long story."

It's funny that I consider almost all of those examples except for GTA4 and Halo3 full prized stand-alone expansion packs. As seperate games, I found all the sequels rather meager. As a game they rarely brought anything new to the table. Just new areas and new storylines. No updates in graphics or just minimal changes in in the GUI or gameplay.

It is justified because Fallout 3 has a similar style.

Not really. The classic argument is that it does not just evolve gameplay but replaces it wholesale, becoming an FPSRPG which is simply a different genre than the originals ("RPG" as a genre is meaningless in these kind of debates), but we went over that in this thread.

Fallout 3 does not share much with its predecessors in setting or world design either. Other than the dialogue and plot not living up to the originals (and the originals aren't that high up there in dialogue and plot), which can be a point of contention (other than the plot, everyone agrees Fallout 3's plot is terribad).

That said, the points of comparison are easy. Fallout 3 does not continue the storyline of its predecessors nor is it set in the same location. Fallout 3 does not keep the emphasis on dark irony of the originals. Fallout 3 breaks or modifies canon on several occasions (Super Mutants and BoS being the most blatant examples). Fallout 3's approach to world design is wildly different from the originals, which is a natural consequence of it relying on first-person action.

Ignore for a moment that Bethesda purchased Fallout and has every right to slap the name on whatever they want. Two simple questions emerge:
1. Since the gameplay style of Fallout was never to their liking and the world design is as consistent to Fallout as Fallout 2 was, why did they feel the need to buy the Fallout name at all? Why buy a franchise you have no interest in maintaining?

2. Given the peripheral connection between Fallout 3 and Fallout 1 in both gameplay and setting/world design, what is the need to call it Fallout 3?

Nobody is questioning their right to do so. But it does have to do with a certain common sensism; if your game is simply not consistent enough with its predecessors to be called a sequel, don't call it a sequel. Good example? Drakensang: not a Northland Trilogy (Realms of Arkania) sequel, so it doesn't claim to be, despite being based on the same world and rules. Baldur's Gate is not a sequel to Pools of Radiance nor would it make sense for it to claim to be. But it could claim to be, it's just common sense that it doesn't.

Doesn't apply to Fallout 3, for some reason.

Well lets ignore the fact that fallout 2 changed canon(which is really a bizarre thing to even have for a game) from the original. Why be all bent about the changes in 3. The truth of the matter is, certain crowds will never be happy with anything unless it is more of the same. You think the rights were bought up and they stole a great game was sealed from ever being released? I doubt that, in reality they probably saved it from being left to dust.

Let it go, its out. Alot of people like it, and many of you will call us stupid etc for liking it. I have played alot of rpg's including the original when they were on the shelf, great games, but so is part 3. I love how people use other names on games to back up their arguement ignoring for the simple fact alot of the games they mentioned DID NOT HAVE THE RIGHTS TO THE NAMES.

Well lets ignore the fact that fallout 2 changed canon(which is really a bizarre thing to even have for a game) from the original.

No, let's not ignore that at all. It's pretty important. Fallout 2 radically altered the world design of Fallout and while not actually breaking canon on many points (the vault experiments were a part of the original concept) it is wildly inconsistent in world feel. It has been broadly criticized for that, but the fact is that Fallout 2 has never been seen as an "untrue" sequel, because while it damages the setting it not only holds true to the core gameplay design but actually expands the core pen and paper gameplay concepts with complex towns with true choices - such as New Reno. Canon-wise New Reno is derided, as a gameplay element it is almost the epitome of Fallout's spirit of design.

Fallout 3 has the same problem with setting as Fallout 2, but it never grabs core gameplay to balance it out.

Why be all bent about the changes in 3. The truth of the matter is, certain crowds will never be happy with anything unless it is more of the same.

Certain crowds, sure. There has always been a part of NMA's crowd that holds to this angle, but even on NMA it has never been a majority. Van Buren as a concept changed quite a few things from the originals, but it was accepted by most of NMA - one will remember J.E. Sawyer's infamous quote on certain fans that you can never please, which referred to a vocal minority inside NMA/Interplay forums led by 4too, Rosh and DarkUnderlord (if I recall correctly).

But it's important to see that change isn't just one single quality that you can judge or dislike as a single quality. Change as Van Buren did it can be seen as development within the framework of the original design concept of Fallout 1 - it still held true to the roots of pen and paper gameplay (and no that is not just about turn-based combat, it's about root concepts like the importance of character stats and the way you treat choice and consequence vs handholding as well), whereas Fallout 3 just dumped the concept wholesale.

You think the rights were bought up and they stole a great game was sealed from ever being released? I doubt that, in reality they probably saved it from being left to dust.

Actually, there were multiple bidders on the Fallout title. I find there are two common images used in this point; one is of Bethesda evilly snatching the title away before Troika's nose, one is of Bethesda's nobly saving a dying franchise. Neither view is accurate, and the truth is in the middle.

In some ways this reminds me of the situation with Wasteland, the way that franchise was nearly abused for Fountain of Dreams, and the fact that Interplay's lack of ownership of the franchise was what led to its spiritual sequel Fallout.

If you're talking about letting go of the franchise, I realized Fallout's core design would be divorced from its franchise when Bethesda released the news that they bought the whole license - the franchise as such was dead at that point, and is now back to life as something completely different. Why that is something to be a glad about - the permanent disjunction of Fallout from its original core concept - is a mystery to me, but this view that somehow people didn't grasp reality years ago is a bit naive. But realization is something different than acceptance. The word belongs to Cervantes; Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.

Alot of people like it, and many of you will call us stupid etc for liking it.

Why? I like it. It's a good game. Just not a Fallout game.

Honestly, it's a controversial title just like Oblivion was. What bugged me about Oblivion's debate and bugs me about Fallout 3's debate is the inability of many in both sides to truly think outside the box and accept each other's viewpoints. Whether it be the Codex' linear view of "true" RPGs or the habit of people to lazily dismiss the Fallout fanbase's problems with Fallout 3.

I personally don't see why people take such exception to each other's opinions. Personally, I'll gladly argue Fallout 3's status as a nebulous "true sequel" and I do have problems with reviewers' lack of criticism of such major flaws as the main plot, but someone will really have to explain to me why I should have a problem with someone liking this game.

I guess this is the nature of internet debate, tho', and attitudes like yours can be found anywhere from Something Awful to NeoGAF.

I love how people use other names on games to back up their arguement ignoring for the simple fact alot of the games they mentioned DID NOT HAVE THE RIGHTS TO THE NAMES.

Both examples I used would have no problem using the original names as far as I know. Even considering the name right problem, it should be noted that there is also a lack of claims of even being a spiritual sequel.

I guess we're just in disagreement about what a sequel has to be. The Grand Theft Auto series comes to mind. Didn't the core gameplay change radically when it went to 3D? Sure, you still drive around a city and run down pedestrians, but in Fallout 3 you also still run around and do quests. The setting is also very different in each installation, especially the feel and atmosphere.

But then again, I guess you'd say that GTA3 wasn't really a sequel to GTA2. Persoanlly, I really don't care. It's another number.

Back
Top Bottom