Which classic RPG to play?

I'm with DArtagnan - I really liked RoA, especially Shadows over Riva. Never really got into BoK.

Betrayal At Krondor is my favorite (plus the two sequels). Second comes the Arkania-series. Rest are not so classic imho.

I have played Beyond Divinity through and it was mediocre at best to the end. The only reason I kept playing was because I liked first divinity so much.

That's an understatement. I tried playing BaK earlier this year, but just couldn't get past the visuals. The game is so pixelated on my 24" monitor that I literally couldn't tell what I was looking at sometimes. I'm surprised that such a popular game has yet to receive a facelift.

You could try playing it in smaller window and with anti-alias. Last I played BaK I didnt think it was so bad. But of course I have recently played games like Wasteland and Wizardry 1-5 so BaK looks good in comparison.

Ok this is it. Ill finally finish the riftwar book and start playthrough of BaK trilogy. Ive been dying to start it for years.

Betrayal at Antara isn't a sequel. BAK only had one sequel, Return to Krondor.

I agree that both of those are great.

On the other hand BAA sucked. Not because it wasn't in the same setting, but because the plot was laughable and the protagonist was a whiny punk who I wanted to throttle every time he spoke. Still enjoyed the gameplay aspect and the bead chests were pretty cool, but the rest was just sad.

Betrayal at Antara isn't a sequel. BAK only had one sequel, Return to Krondor.
Yeah I know but I like to think them as trilogy the second been an unofficial sequal.

On the other hand BAA sucked. Not because it wasn't in the same setting, but because the plot was laughable and the protagonist was a whiny punk who I wanted to throttle every time he spoke. Still enjoyed the gameplay aspect and the bead chests were pretty cool, but the rest was just sad.

I liked the game-system just as much as the story so I didnt mind it. Also I didnt hate the story even though it wasnt good as in the original. Most stories in crpgs are crappy even today. If gameplay is good it can save a lot.

Return to Krondor is a rather short sequel to BaK. Most reviewers thought it was too easy for a serious RPG, but I really enjoyed it. 25 hours in the spirit of BaK - that's fine. Even more so if the game has absolutely spectacular graphics (for its time) and a decent interface.
RtK can still be played today. The graphics are tolerable. It used the same engine as the last Sierra "Quest" games, which was state of the art back then.

I'd go real old school and play Wizardry 1 or maybe Ultima 1. Too many people make great proclamations about cRPGs without being aware of the roots of the genre.

If you're curious about Ultima 1, then just go ahead and try it :)

It's a very short game. I think I completed it in a day or two, with moderate amount of hours put into it.

Wizardry 1 is probably a different matter - haven't played that one.

For U1, it certainly helps if you have a modern system! That thing probably took a good 20-30 hours to play in the old days, but most of it was spent loading the game or areas! I played it a while back, had never actually played it as I started with U3. I think I finished it in one day. Went on to U2, but didn't get far before I lost interest.

Ultima 2 was great! It was actually the first RPG I bought on my own when I got my original IBM PC.

But, yeah, by modern standards it's pretty simple.

Simple doesn't bother me. Honestly I think it was just ran out of time that day, plus the purple bothered me!

I'd go real old school and play Wizardry 1 or maybe Ultima 1. Too many people make great proclamations about cRPGs without being aware of the roots of the genre.

Ha! I played Ultima 1 and 2 around original release time - in the 80s. But never did play a Wizardry until VIII, which I adore. Wish they would release the early Wizardry games on GoG.

Anyway, thanks for replies, didn't end up getting any. Just realized my backlog is just too huge with DS and Xbox 360 games alone.

Also, I got Might & Magic 1 - 6 a year ago and STILL haven't played them much. Although I did play M & M 4 for a couple of hours. And still have HOMM 3 which I was having a blast with - again, only played for a few hours.

So guess I'll take care of those games and try to finish up some console games before I move on to the next bunch (my new year's resolution, hehe… finished up ME finally so I can start ME2).

Oh and I picked up the BG 2 expansion about a year ago (finally, after having finished BG2 like... um oh, 9 years ago!!!) and still haven't played it.

Figured I'd start BG2 again then realized I never did finish the first game! Got pretty far, actually I think I was at the very last battle but my save game got corrupted. And realized I never really did many of the side quests, including the BG expansion's so I started a new game.

So again, more for the backlog!

I think the bg2 expansion borrows a little too much from the planescape torment plot.

While installing Krondor I found Sierrahelp that has exclusive page for krondor (they even have link to GoG). The page includes its own automated krondor installer that works in windows7 64bit even. All I had to do was put krondor CD into drive and start this installer and choose few dosbox options. The installer did the rest. Installing old game has never been this easy.

Sierrahelp is also worth checking out if you plan to play other old sierra games:
http://www.sierrahelp.com/Games/KrondorSeries/BaKHelp.html

a classic rpg that is just at the begining of the modern 3d gaming is wizards and warriors.

Great game.

a classic rpg that is just at the begining of the modern 3d gaming is wizards and warriors.

Great game.
Like both Heuristic Park games, W&W is a game that could have been great. The game stopper bug (vampire ring) along with scads of minor bugs bar this game from "great". And we won't even get started on the UberHorse. Unfortunate, because the game had potential out the ying-yang. DWB is great with game design but horrible with game development, as evident with both W&W and Dungeon Lords.

You know I cant remember how dungeon lords ends so Im inclined to think I didnt finish it.

I dont recomend it though its very starkly unfinished with huge areas of nothing non interactive. Im not actually sure I saw that much greatness in it. What was coolest about it actually was that it was multiplayer and you could fight. It was a very world of warcraft type of game.
Overall…. it sucked it was sort of just the demo with one city of what could have been a cool game.

You can tell its related to wizards and warriors in engine and thats a good thing

Wizards and warriors was a completed game if you consider the patch.

It has a lot Of very cool dungeons and puzzles a lah the wizardry series, character development etc.

I had heard that dungeon lords 2 was actually still being made until they canned it in 2009.

Id love to see it actually

edit oh ya youre right the horse had no purpose. Just sort of a demo of sorts.

What uberhorse? The horse you rode around on? I liked it. Made getting around quicker especially in those large areas.

If I had to complain about W&W it would be those killer plants from hell. They were too powerful for characters just entering that forest area. Made becoming a ninja or samurai very difficult.

I never had problems with that ring. The patch fixed it.

Other than that and a few others minor complaints I really like that game. I like it so much that I will spend half an hour or so fiddling around with it to get it to run on my latest rig.

Dungeon Lords is meh. It's fun for some mindless action and the muti-player was great to play with people back home. Although too many problems with it.

I just wish he had actually finished that game and hadn't forced everyone to buy the collectors edition if they wanted the latest patch. Oh well, at least W&W is fun.

Back
Top Bottom