Mass Effect: Andromeda - Opening Hours Review

I'm way past the point of complaining. I'm just having fun with the awfulness.

That's the very reason many will buy the game. Look at it as infinite source for trolling gifs and memes.

Day1 patch was applied on paid 10 hours betatest, animations were not addressed in it and the question when and if remains - lead designer says:
http://www.vg247.com/2017/03/17/mass-effect-andromeda-no-animation-improvements-planned-for-day-one/
We’ll have more patches later on, but exactly what goes into them is still in discussion.

It's a known fact IGN hyped the game with their IGN1st videos, articles and stuff. Probably paid by EA. What's wasn't shared like crazy is a certain IGN's employee interview BEFORE PAX:

How did this get past everyone? Obviously EA knew before the betatest something is wrong I mean why couldn't they at least fix the "shitpants, searching for the toilet" walk?

But it's not just bugs. I'm seeing comments from betatesters that MMO part is superhard on medium difficulty (it's silver, easy is bronze and hard should be gold). No balance or they put it on purpose to show those Dark Souls drones what hard actually means? Or it's like that to persuade ppl to buy gambling boxes to beef their characters?No I won't link to any of these comments, I'll wait for an article that sums it all up.

An article however appeared about galaxy/system/planet scaning. PCG says it sux:
http://www.pcgamer.com/why-i-hate-mass-effect-andromedas-planet-scanning-system/
Long trips, meager rewards, and no risk make space travel boring.

Maybe the planet scanning system improves further into the game, but it’s an awful first impression. Mass Effect is supposed to make me feel like a space adventurer, but with such a tedious, impotent interpretation of space exploration, I feel more like a space butler, tidying up planets over a long and tiresome workday.

It's a known fact IGN hyped the game with their IGN1st videos, articles and stuff. Probably paid by EA.
IGN hyped themselves, they used the product as a platform.
The vid showed something else.
I'm seeing comments from betatesters that MMO part is superhard on medium difficulty (it's silver, easy is bronze and hard should be gold). No balance or they put it on purpose to show those Dark Souls drones what hard actually means? Or it's like that to persuade ppl to buy gambling boxes to beef their characters?No I won't link to any of these comments, I'll wait for an article that sums it all up.

Problem is clear. Some time ago, players were not deemed skilled because they were able to use awsd, left shift,q,e, tab, left alt, left control, space bar, 1,2,3,4 plus mouse work. It was a given requirement to start playing. Players were deemed skilled because of what they were able to do when using those keys.

After watching streams, it appears that being able to use awsd , space bar and some erratic mouse work is perceived as being skilled.

Indeed, streamers play in bronze level, collapse around wave 8 and somehow claim OPness this or that.

Have yet to see one streamer who was able to command teammates in battle, ordering one to take left, the other right. When seeing teammates running around, most claim stupid AI instead of seeing their shortcomings.

Players play vid products to flatter their egos. They do not bear anything sending back a negative image of themselves.
Yet with the level of skills (since it must be called that way nowadays) they display, it is a challenge for devs to avoid that outcome.

Doesn't look that different to me.
sqnpjlu2u5loac38fa5y.gif

and Addison, the 2017 lady, is considered the worst offended in MEA.

The gif from the right is taken from ME3. It probably happened during a romancing moment as it might be infered from the behaviourial code it is built on, the gestures corresponding to a woman showing interest and expecting interest.
The gif from the left is from an unknown scene in MEA, probably not from a moment in romancing, probably more a professional, plain onversation.

Animation wise, the comparison is null. The woman on the right is alluring. The woman on the left looks she is not.
Obvious bias.

streamers play in bronze level, collapse around wave 8 and somehow claim OPness this or that.

Have yet to see one streamer who was able to command teammates in battle, ordering one to take left, the other right. When seeing teammates running around, most claim stupid AI instead of seeing their shortcomings.
Stop watching streams - play games.
I'm sick of LoL "pros" who try to repeat what they saw in streams, fail miserably and then blame it on the team or ragequit making matches no fun.

About sidekick AI in ME4 noone had positive words. What's even worse, by default keys are Z and C. See… I'm using QWERTZ keyboard. Imagine my surprise (or others with nonQWERTY keyboard) if I don't change controls before starting the game. So I'd just think, hell, I won't use ordering teammates and would forget about it later.

Animation wise, the comparison is null. The woman on the right is alluring. The woman on the left looks she is not.
Obvious bias.

While I agree that those 2 gifs shouldn't be really used for a comparison, there's no doubt that animations in ME 4 suck AND that (overall) they are worst then animations in ME3 and ME2.

The gif from the right is taken from ME3. It probably happened during a romancing moment as it might be infered from the behaviourial code it is built on, the gestures corresponding to a woman showing interest and expecting interest.
The gif from the left is from an unknown scene in MEA, probably not from a moment in romancing, probably more a professional, plain onversation.

Obvious bias.

The gif on the right is from a dialogue with Ashley aboard the original Normandy in Mass Effect 1. I recognize the specific scene, it's definitely ME1. That's not a drawback, however, as ME1 actually does have superior animations - the easiest way to notice this is to play through the intro of ME1, where you get to meet Ashley, Kaiden and Anderson, and then play through the intro of ME3 where two of them are present. The animations in ME1 simply feel more solid for whatever reason.

That being said, I agree that the comparison between the two gifs doesn't really work. A few seconds of two completely different scenes/settings (as you pointed out) simply isn't enough.

Edit: I should probably point out that I recently played through them all while waiting for MEA, so I have them all fresh in mind. The comparison between ME1 and 3 was not affected by nostalgia, nor will any upcoming comparison with MEA be affected by it.

Edit 2: As for why ME1 looks better, I'm not really sure. The characters just feel more "alive" in a sense, while looking a bit more robotic in ME3. MEA seem to have a bit of that going on, but it's hard to tell without actually having played it.

I wish we had a dedicated ME4 thread as spreading in numerous news comments is confusing and makes me hard to browse for posts I vaguely remember so can't use search. :(
Anyway…

1. For deluxe version buyers, soundtrack download is already available. On APEX HQ site (I've posted about this phonegame), just go to archives (top right corner) and login with your Origin acc:
https://apexhq.masseffectarchives.com/en/

2. You bought EA access on xbone, betatested the game, 10 hours passed and want more? You can. Only on xbone create another profile or whatever it's called, put another e-mail address, pay 5 bucks for EA access on it, start the game, switch to your main account.
Keep in mind xbone has a nasty sound bug other two platforms don't have, besides the campaign will still remain locked!
EA proves they know how and who to milk.

Everybody's talking about
Revolution, Evolution, Masturbation, Flagellation, Regulation
Integrations, mediations, United Nations, congratulations
All we are saying is give peace a chance
While internet is overspammed with bugged animations and silly sidekicks AI vids/gifs, the worst bug is pushed under the carpet.
Upon starting a new game, your previous character is used, with the new one, in that next game! Pic it or didn't happen? Sure:
http://bsn.boards.net/thread/5292/starting-new-game-bugged

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

Maybe it's not a bug but a deliberate feature where a pair wasn't bored during 600 years of hybernation? With EA you never know.

Additional info and most probably not a bug but a "feature": if you don't go character creation but choose "default Ryder", you won't be able to choose skills nor gender.
I mean WTF Bioware? No $ to pay for some proper QA?

Additional info and most probably not a bug but a "feature": if you don't go character creation but choose "default Ryder", you won't be able to choose skills nor gender.
which one is selected then?

Oops sorry I posted before noticing the key word is missing.
The sentence should read:
if you don't go character creation but choose "default Ryder", you won't be able to choose skills nor Shepard's gender.

That set, found something else.

If you didn't buy the game yet just because unsure if you'll go for standard or deluxe, there is this nice vid that shows all detail on preorder and deluxe bonus:

All I can say is when they make that deluxe hoodie real and put it in their store, it will be mine! Real, physical one. I plain love those rags.

EDIT:

Geez, just when I think there is nothing more today… 4K tech trailer.

There is a memorable oneliner inside, the one that should go in BS of the week thread - unless they still patch those animations on the release day:
The fidelity of characters, make them as believable as possible using performance capture

A reminder why this is BS for those who still didn't see it:

Rq9zqLP.gif

Or maybe… Maybe they did shit their pants then searched for a toilet while being captured?

Last edited:
I wish we had a dedicated ME4 thread as spreading in numerous news comments is confusing and makes me hard to browse for posts I vaguely remember so can't use search. :(
Anyway…

1. For deluxe version buyers, soundtrack download is already available. On APEX HQ site (I've posted about this phonegame), just go to archives (top right corner) and login with your Origin acc:
https://apexhq.masseffectarchives.com/en/

2. You bought EA access on xbone, betatested the game, 10 hours passed and want more? You can. Only on xbone create another profile or whatever it's called, put another e-mail address, pay 5 bucks for EA access on it, start the game, switch to your main account.
Keep in mind xbone has a nasty sound bug other two platforms don't have, besides the campaign will still remain locked!
EA proves they know how and who to milk.

While internet is overspammed with bugged animations and silly sidekicks AI vids/gifs, the worst bug is pushed under the carpet.
Upon starting a new game, your previous character is used, with the new one, in that next game! Pic it or didn't happen? Sure:
http://bsn.boards.net/thread/5292/starting-new-game-bugged

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

Maybe it's not a bug but a deliberate feature where a pair wasn't bored during 600 years of hybernation? With EA you never know.

They really look made for one another.
It probably looks better than in game romances. :p

Bobo move your lazy arse fingers and share what you found during that short betatest!
Don't lie, you didn't spend all 10 hours in character creation. Some, apparently, did.

EDIT:

Maybe I should just stop. Instead of posting, then editing, then finding another thing to post… Yea found something again I didn't notice previously. And I didn't because i don't care much about MMO in ME4, however the article on multiplayer has some additional info. Just kill me.
https://www.pcgamesn.com/mass-effect-andromeda/mass-effect-andromeda-multiplayer-guide
Mass Effect: Andromeda multiplayer Strike Teams

Strike Teams are squads of NPC soldiers that you can send out on missions. If you’ve played Dragon Age: Inquisition or some of the later Assassin’s Creed games you may be familiar with this type of play. Rather than doing multiplayer missions yourself you can assign one of your Strike Teams to do them for you. If they succeed they’ll earn XP and bring home the bonus rewards with them.

You can recruit Strike Teams with Mission Funds earned by playing. Each team is randomly generated by the game, and while you can’t customise them they are designed to fulfill certain roles. For example, you may have chance to hire an all-krogan Strike Team which would be ideal for heavy assault missions, or a team with night vision goggles for tasks in the dark.

You can have up to six Strike Teams on staff, and when you’ve hired them they can permanently stay with you. They’re some of the best soldier around so they’ll never die, meaning you can’t lose them even if you send the team on a ridiculously difficult mission. They can fail though, and losses will inflict negative traits that they’ll carry like scars. Should those scars become too detrimental, you can retire them and recruit a new team to train up in their place. Wins, on the other hand, will top up a team’s XP and bestow them with bonuses that make them even more effective in combat.

Strike Teams take a few hours to complete a mission, depending on difficulty, which is much longer than it would take a human player. They’re a useful option should you simply not have the time to dedicate to the day’s missions though. And just because a Strike Team has completed a mission doesn’t mean you can’t play too: so long as a mission hasn’t expired, either you or a Strike Team can infinitely replay it.

What the article doesn't say is that strike teams are connected to your EA/Origin account so those (max) 6 teams are same in both game and in APEX HQ phonegame.

According to Bioware, this APEX HQ phonegame is currently available only for those who live in Canada, Ireland, Romania or Singapore* - but it doesn't work quite like that on PC android emulator as I'm running the phonegame on Nox for 2 days already and I don't live in any of those countries. Sure, you might not find the phonegame in googlestore, but you can get it from here regardless of your location (I've already posted about that link):
https://sameapk.com/mass-effect-andromeda-apex-hq/

---------------------------------------------------
* http://bsn.boards.net/thread/5267/apex-strike-team-app
Will someone who's registered on that site please post about Nox there?

Last edited:
Bobo move your lazy arse fingers and share what you found during that short betatest!
Don't lie, you didn't spend all 10 hours in character creation. Some, apparently, did.

I did just wrote, dammit, but seems I keep logging out ( for some reason after any more than two sentences reply) and gone is the post.
Anyone had this issue lately ( noticed this for a few weeks or so) ?

I had that problem a couple of years ago at my work (paranoic company). Later they removed the login timeout. But it was spread on all sites, not just RPGwatch.
My solution back then was write "memoires" in Notepad then copy/paste on forum. ;)

And no, I don't have the problem. Did you install something "fishy" in past few weeks? Some VPN/proxy or some cookie_killer/browser_passwords_cleaner that could cause this?

I had that problem a couple of years ago at my work (paranoic company). Later they removed the login timeout. But it was spread on all sites, not just RPGwatch.
My solution back then was writing "memoires" in Notepad then copy/paste on forum. ;)

And no, I don't have the problem. Did you install something "fishy" in past few weeks? Some VPN/proxy or some cookie_killer/browser_passwords_cleaner that could cause this?

Eh, I install something fishy all the time. Guess it's time for format the system.

Anyway: From start, music is fine, low key, slowly building, but feels like it lacks "iconic theme" previous ME games had ( tranquil fantasy/mistery, heroic, melancholy)
Character creator is very lacking, night and day compared to Inquisition. Presets are funny looking, for a moment thought you get to play as aliens.
Dialogue is...odd. Standard Bioware half the time, but there is larger amount of lines that just seem...pulled out of some movie and feels out of place/nonsensical. ( espec party chatter in combat)
Char personality seems more "set" than before, there are four options( per "personality" response) but a lot of times, only two.
Characters: so far they're not as gripping as previously( though this is more subjective)...Alec Ryder stands out ( in VA, dialogue, visual design).
Facial animations; what is said, this is sure to be funny.
Combat : improvement overall, though cover is clumsier this time, weapons feel lacking and AI ( on both sides) can be...really something.
Side quests definitely feel a bit more substantial than in Inquisition or other ME.
UI: real clusterfuck of menus. Scanning can easily wear out it's welcome.
(Positive) Highlight: Alec Ryder, sense of mystery ( like in ME I) and shuttle descent( love it).

tranquil fantasy/mistery, heroic, melancholy
You didn't feel also horror/nostalgia moments? A reminder:

Char personality seems more "set" than before, there are four options( per "personality" response) but a lot of times, only two.
Means downgrade from the trilogy where we had 6 options at certain points. Not a shocker today, they said we'll get quadoptions wheel already on PAX twitchstream. Not even sure why is it wheel then, why not take quadoptions FO4 default crap system.

Side quests definitely feel a bit more substantial than in Inquisition or other ME.
Finally someone said something about sidequests! Everyone else seems was rushing through main quest, scanning the galaxy for loot and MMOing. Thanks!

-

Aaaaaand, not enough stuff I posted today about ME4?
How about downgradegate, assuming what was shown on E3 wasn't CGI:

pic.jpg

Bigger pics at the source:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1352572

Sorting through the bias and agendas, I've still come to the conclusion that Mass Effect: Andromeda is not ready for primetime. If there are this many issues with content they WANTED to release early, I'm not optimistic about what's in store toward the 2nd half of the game as you get further away from routine playtesting. I also cannot imagine what it looked like a year ago when they decided to delay the first time… Didn't they say it was more or less "ready" then and they wanted to add some extra stuff?

I hope it's just that big and instead they focused on dense content over squashing bugs and optimizing features. Either way, I'm going to give it another 4-6 months and see where we're at. Breaks my heart, since it's my all-time favorite series. Either way I preordered, so they get full price from me and I get my remote control Nomad to play with in the meantime.

*hits snooze*

Last edited:
double post

Back
Top Bottom