C2077 Cyberpunk 2077 - News Roundup

Cyberpunk 2077
Still includes many fixes.

Had to look twice here.

Yeah, sounded funny at first but you think about how engines likely render/output assets it makes sense. Anything that's not in frame is not usually worked on by the engine while it produces frames; at least not in a way where the output of that work is a visual or auditory endproduct. It likely just processes data about the state of the world, to have it prepared in case it needs to get rendered/outputted to the player. So it could be that explosions not making noise was the cause of that default optimization. Or I could be way off with my supposition.

Yeah, sounded funny at first but you think about how engines likely render/output assets it makes sense. Anything that's not in frame is not usually worked on by the engine while it produces frames; at least not in a way where the output of that work is a visual or auditory endproduct. It likely just processes data about the state of the world, to have it prepared in case it needs to get rendered/outputted to the player. So it could be that explosions not making noise was the cause of that default optimization. Or I could be way off with my supposition.

It kind of depends - some visuals are known as screen-space effects, so only take into account what is in the view port. But for some things it's necessary to take into account things that are off-screen, or you'd get very weird effects and artefacts as you look around. Definitely you wouldn't want to design sound around what's visible in the frame of an FPS - things would get very weird indeed.

It kind of depends - some visuals are known as screen-space effects, so only take into account what is in the view port. But for some things it's necessary to take into account things that are off-screen, or you'd get very weird effects and artefacts as you look around. Definitely you wouldn't want to design sound around what's visible in the frame of an FPS - things would get very weird indeed.

Yeah, of course. I just meant that the default behavior was for it to not be reproduced. And they must've missed that, I would imagine.

A rendering engineer on his personal blog took a look at the engine and how it works.

Link - http://c0de517e.blogspot.com/2020/12/hallucinations-re-rendering-of.html

Can anyone who understands English better than me please explain me this:

PC-specific

• [AMD SMT] Optimized default core/thread utilization for 4-core and 6-core AMD Ryzen(tm) processors. 8-core, 12-core and 16-core processors remain unchanged and behaving as intended. This change was implemented in cooperation with AMD and based on tests on both sides indicating that performance improvement occurs only on CPUs with 6 cores and less.

So they're not touching the .EXE file to enable Simultaneous MultiThreading on AMD processors (and the consequent gain of fps), is that it?
I have an AMD Ryzen 7 2700X (8 cores/16 threads), then the hotfix won't touch my processor? Then I have either to hex-edit the executable file myself OR download a specific mod on Nexus to do that?
I read that a lot of people (Reddit, etc) which are using AMD prcoessors have hex-edited the file and gained like 10-12 fps.

Last edited:
Can anyone who understands English better than me please explain me this:

PC-specific

• [AMD SMT] Optimized default core/thread utilization for 4-core and 6-core AMD Ryzen(tm) processors. 8-core, 12-core and 16-core processors remain unchanged and behaving as intended. This change was implemented in cooperation with AMD and based on tests on both sides indicating that performance improvement occurs only on CPUs with 6 cores and less.

I take this to mean that they have optimised the multi-threaded performance of Ryzen CPUs with 6 cores or less. They're saying that whatever change they've made doesn't apply to Ryzens with more than 6 cores, as they claim these are already performing properly, and are unaffected by the new optimisations.

I take this to mean that they have optimised the multi-threaded performance of Ryzen CPUs with 6 cores or less. They're saying that whatever change they've made doesn't apply to Ryzens with more than 6 cores, as they claim these are already performing properly, and are unaffected by the new optimisations.

OK, thanks for your explanation!
But that's not what the internet in general is saying (regarding optimal performance of AMD Ryzen processors with 8+ Cores).

OK, thanks for your explanation!
But that's not what the internet in general is saying (regarding optimal performance of AMD Ryzen processors with 8+ Cores).

That doesn't surprise me. I've no idea who's right, and it might be worth trying some of those hacks on higher core CPUs. Mind you, the internet is often wrong, too. I've seen all sorts of performance tweaks touted over the years, but sometimes it's just anecdotal, and sometimes they do more harm than good.

I wonder how many bugs were introduced by trying to make the game run on the xbox one and ps4.

I can imagine that they overoptimized things with unforeseen consequences (culling too much off-frame stuff to get that couple of fps extra). The game was developed for pc after all with the consoles an afterthought (and the old consoles still have a plain HDD).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-VZ781gp0A

Really liked Cohhcarnage's thoughts on CP2077.

And he put in 100 hours on the game. Contrast that to the ~30, main story focused playthrough nearly every reviewers' reviews were based on. I know my own enjoyment is based heavily around mixing up main story missions with side missions, gigs, crimes, exploring, reading shards, etc. If you take most of 5 of those 6 things, that's a totally different game.

At the end of the day the mission structure, sub-mission and map-markers was the same as Witcher III. Makes you wonder how one game is praised and the other vilified.

Never thought a day would come when professional reviews wold be meaningless.

Many reviewers expected they were going to get some type of GTA or other similar game experience, and got a story focused narrative driven RPG instead. Oh the irony.

For the record took me close to 80hrs to finish everything even the hidden side quests.

At the end of the day the mission structure, sub-mission and map-markers was the same as Witcher III. Makes you wonder how one game is praised and the other vilified.

This is something I struggle with a lot, not only with these two games, but with games in general. I see certain games raked over the coals and other games given a pass for the same stuff all the freaking time.

They did bring some of it on themselves, continuing to say how choices were so important in this game, and it turning out that there aren't all that many which change more than a line of dialogue here and there. But again, that's practically a tradition. I can't count at this point how many devs have made that a point of emphasis in their marketing and it ended up being untrue. The Mass Effect series and the Telltale games, to name just two of many.

I've seen lots of people criticize the map structure of TW3, and I'm not a big fan of it myself. I've never liked the paint by numbers approach that's so prevalent in open-world games right now.

Unfortunately, it's a product of modern games and gamers. It started with Ubisoft and spread like a virus.

Isn't that a style over substance obsession? :p
I love every map design. Where trashmobs don't respawn.

The "open-world" feature was new in The Witcher 3, so maybe there was more praise because fans were longing for that, while in Cyberpunk 2077 they were expecting another step that they didn't find when playing the game? - I know we may not all agree on the fact TW3 is an open world, but let's say it was quite more open than before :)

I think there is one difference in the structure: in TW3, the regions were opening one after the other: White Orchad, Velen, Novigrad and Skellige Isles, each with increasingly difficult encounters. In CP2077, I understand the whole world is directly accessible, and players are surprised to find enemies of completely different levels. That's awkward if there's no hint on how difficult enemies are (maybe there is, I honestly don't know).

Back
Top Bottom