Things you don't need to know...

Yeah, but I sort of agree with JDR that 'healthy fast food' is something of an oxymoron!! :)

Return to Monkey Island (return of Return of Monkey Island?) will be released in about 4 hours. Still time to prepurchase, which comes with a gift: "a highly exclusive and entirely useless Horse Armor in their inventory". At least this time said armoUr is free.

pibbuR who still has 4 hourse to decide to, then decide not to, then decide to, then ... prepurchase.

The Ig Nobelprices for 2022 is official: https://gizmodo.com/here-are-the-winners-of-the-2022-ig-nobel-prize-1849545482

One quote:
"For literature, the Ig Nobel was given to Eric Martínez, Francis Mollica, and Edward Gibson for showing that legal jargon may not be the main reason why lawyers are so hard to understand. Instead, as their paper’s title aptly describes: “Poor Writing, Not Specialized Concepts, Drives Processing Difficulty in Legal Language.”

pibbuR

Interesting, the Ig Nobels, first time I hear about that.
[...] the Italian researchers Alessandro Pluchino, Alessio Emanuele Biondo, and Andrea Rapisarda won for illustrating—with math, of course—that the most successful people are more often lucky than they are talented. Amazingly, this is the second Ig won by Alessandro Pluchino and Andrea Rapisarda. They previously won in 2010 for their research suggesting that organizations would be more efficient if they simply promoted people at random [...]
That's depressing...

Interesting, the Ig Nobels, first time I hear about that.
Then you've really missed something. You'll find all about it here: https://improbable.com/ (maybe you've already found the site).

And while we're at it, in case you also missed this one, the Darwing Awards (https://darwinawards.com/) "which honor those who tip chlorine into our gene pool, by accidentally removing their own DNA from it during the spectacular climax of a 'great idea' gone veddy, veddy wrong."

pibbuR who admits the latter may be too macabre for some.

1^x = 1 for all x
so you first just have to solve
(x*x-5x+5) = 1 ; this gives you x=1 or x=4

x^0 = 1 for all x <> 0
so you then have to solve
(x*x-11x+30)=0 ; this gives you x=5 or x=6

so x is element from {1;4;5;6}

{1;4;5;6} should be all real solutions - maybe with some imagination some imaginary numbers are flying in?

{1;4;5;6} should be all real solutions - maybe some imagination some imaginary numbers are flying in?
Consider (x*x-5x+5) = -1. If either of the solutions to that one (2 and 3) makes (x*x-11x+30) even, those are also solutions. 2 and 3 do that. So {1;2,3,4;5;6} is the complete set of solutions. Clever and funny methinks.

pibbuR who as said, did not find those 2 without an explictit hint.

PS: For fun I tried the equation in my math packages.
  1. Matlab, using the symbolic math package, could solve the individual polynoms, but not the complete equation. No surpise, really, Matlab focuses on numerical computing.
  2. Mathematica found {1;4;5;6}
  3. Maple found all of them, which surprised me, since I've always thought Mathematica was the strongest of the two.
I installed Octave with the symbolic packages to see what that one can do (probably comparable to Matlab), but I have to do some Python configurations, and more(?) to get it working.

DS.

Last edited:
Consider (x*x-5x+5) = -1. If either of the solutions to that one (2 and 3) makes (x*x-11x+30) even, those are also solutions. 2 and 3 do that. So {1;2,3,4;5;6} are all solutions. Clever and funny methinks.

pibbuR who as said, did not find those 2 without an explictit hint.

PS: For fun I tried the equation in my math packages.
  1. Matlab, using the symbolic math package, could solve the individual polynoms, but not the complete equation. No surpise, really, Matlab focuses on numerical computing.
  2. Mathematica found {1;4;5;6}
  3. Maple found all of them, which surprised me, since I've always thought Mathematica was the strongest of the two.
DS.
The problem: the function (x*x-5*x+5)^(x*x-11*x+30) is not continous over the real number line:

Attachments

• Graph.png
    Graph.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I was about to say, luckily the negative segment of x²-5x+5 doesn't include any root or we may have been in trouble ;) Yes, x is complex for several sub-ranges, but the discrete values are fine.
And while we're at it, in case you also missed this one, the Darwing Awards (https://darwinawards.com/) "which honor those who tip chlorine into our gene pool, by accidentally removing their own DNA from it during the spectacular climax of a 'great idea' gone veddy, veddy wrong."

I knew about the Darwin Awards, there are some very good ones even if the humour is not for everyone. 😆

I'm not sure if that's a continuity problem, or just a graphic representation problem.

If I'm not too confused by this obscure part of calculus, x^y is real except for negative values of x, where it is only real for rational integer values of y (and there is a condition for the result to be either negative or positive).

But I don't know if such a function is continuous on the negative part of x²-5x+5 (just complex) or if it is discrete. Plotting it as a complex function might give an idea but I don't have a fancy program to do that.

Last edited:
Here's a real and imaginary (stipled) plot of the function using Mathematica. The imaginary part passes 0 for x=2 and 3, where the real part is 1.
Eq.png

Last edited:
Now for the commercials: Mathematica, Maple and Matlab all have comparably low prices (around 200-300USD) for individual home/hobby users. Well worth it IMO. For less than the cost of a 3080Ti you can buy all of them.

pibbuR who sadly received no money for posting this.

PS. There are also freee math software. One is Octave which as said is a Matlab clone. There are also others. And of course Python libraries. DS.

Back
Top Bottom