"11 Amazing Minutes Of Mass Effect 3 Footage"

Actually that does look like an improvement from ME2.

Looks interesting. I did like ME2 a lot, but it was missing some customization so glad to see they are working on that. Hopefully they maintain the excellent pacing.

I never finished Mass Effect, despite starting with four different characters, and I've never played ME2 at all. In a way, I sort of glad about that. I'm looking forward to playing the entire trilogy in one epic playthrough.

Interesting footage. I did also notice that relatively simple modding & character upgrading is now called "deep RPG elements", must be the new marketing speak. Still I have enjoyed ME & ME2 and I am lokking forward to it.

I don't see much customization there.
Where should I look to see it, actually ?

I don't see much customization there.
Where should I look to see it, actually ?
There was very little. Basically a reference to a wepaon bench and finding mod packs to apply. I also really didn't get the difference near the end between tactial combat and rambo style.

Okay, thanks for the explanation.

But where is the role-playing part in this game ? It looks like a shooter ...

And please don't tell me that dilogues is all there is ... Well, I remember from the ME2 demo that there was a choice as well ... Is that all ?

Okay, thanks for the explanation.

But where is the role-playing part in this game ? It looks like a shooter …

And please don't tell me that dilogues is all there is … Well, I remember from the ME2 demo that there was a choice as well … Is that all ?
I really don't know. From the demo there was no dialogue wheel or similar which I expect will be there. The thing for me was the description of what looked very simple leveling up etc as "deep RPG elements" with an immediate explanation that if that was too hard for you could could automate it. Sounds like marketese for dumbing down but making it look like an RPG, although they were careful not to use that term, just 'RPG elements'.
When we see the demo (I think that has been mentioned haven't followed that closely) we should know a little more but given a significant proportion (to me) of the existing pre-release information has been around having weapons sound good and similar things such as how great are combat rolls etc. it sounds like a shooter to me. Still I am a femshep fan so I will get it as I said.

Last edited:
I just read an article in a non-gaming computer magazine today … The article is basically a Games Com overview … The article states that ME3 moves rather towards beiong a shooter game and the role-playing elements are rather further reduced.

It will be hard for ME3 to reduce the RPG elements further then ME2 did...

There was very little. Basically a reference to a wepaon bench and finding mod packs to apply. I also really didn't get the difference near the end between tactial combat and rambo style.

Well there was more then that. They showed character skill trees and individual skill customization which was significantly more detailed then ME2 at least.

Well there was more then that. They showed character skill trees and individual skill customization which was significantly more detailed then ME2 at least.
Quite possibly but I didn't see it in the 11 minutes of footage which is what I was commenting on mainly in this thread.

Quite possibly but I didn't see it in the 11 minutes of footage which is what I was commenting on mainly in this thread.

It's right in the very beginning of the clip, not sure how you missed it.

I like how they are talking up the ability to customize your weapons as some kind of improvement in RPG elements when you can do so in every other FPS/TPS game out there. The only improvement I've seen is the ability to customize your abilities and it's a bit shallow I think. Probably the only improvement we'll get in the RP section.

I'm kind of doubting that anything you did in the past 2 games will matter for more than a cutscene, and regardless of choices made you will still be able to beat the reapers in ME3.

It's right in the very beginning of the clip, not sure how you missed it.

I did see it, and did not regard as complex. I do agree compared to ME2 yes more complex. However, Compared to 'deep rpg elements' as I understand them, not really. However, that is my opinion.

I did see it, and did not regard as complex. I do agree compared to ME2 yes more complex. However, Compared to 'deep rpg elements' as I understand them, not really. However, that is my opinion.

Well all I said was that there was clearly significantly more character customization then the ME2, which appears to be true and not just for weapons. Each power appears to have a lot of options to tweak, more so then most games, rpg or not.

Whether or not this is enough to claim deep rpg elements I can't really say, especially since there is very little agreement about what that phrase even means.

I notice no inventory again. Ok, so you customise individual weapons now at benches, that's cool but I guess it means no loot, no buying and selling different weapons, and the only things you can buy in stores are mods, fish and model ships.

Deep RPG elements? Isn't that an oxymoron, like Sugary Coke Light? Apparently modifying your weapons is what makes an RPG nowdays. OK, there were some stats shown there too, but the presenter is in such a hurry to disregard them it's almost funny. Pretty much what I was expecting from EA/Bioware nowdays.

Not too impressed by the video, a sleeker ME2 is what it looks like - now with omniblades!!1! (A holographic blade, really?) Good thing is that Dr Mordin (sp?) makes a comeback. He was the most interesting party-member in ME2. Too bad in my playthrough of ME2 he's dead...

now with omniblades!!1! (A holographic blade, really?)

Yes. They gave them away on the Games Com as blow-up rubber thingies to attach to your forearm.

Look into my "Games Com impressions" for a short description of this "tool".

Back
Top Bottom