Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen - High Fantasy MMO

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
If you were a fan of the older Everquest games then I have a new Kickstarter that might interest you. The game is called Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen.

Whats interesting is that the game is being developed by Brad McQuaid. He was the creator of EverQuest, and was Executive Producer of Vanguard.

An epic planar high fantasy MMO from renowned EverQuest creator Brad McQuaid.

"In a time long past and forgotten, many worlds became one. When there was nothing but darkness an astral storm ignited, ripping the walls between a thousand realities. The storm reached beyond the veils to snare fragments of life, ripping them from their origin and returning them to the darkness. Crashing upon a lifeless rock the many shards of many worlds came to unite and formed the world called Terminus."
I also have a new community Q&A video with Brad McQuaid.

More information.

Last edited:
We need more "niche" and targeted MMO like this rather than all thing to everyone MMO we seem to be getting these so I just pledged.

Brad McQuaid is the man who created Everquest but things didn't go very well for his follow up Vanguard (which is still better than most of the big MMO coming out these days) anyway if Lord British can redeem himself, I am also willing to give my doubt for Brad McQuaid as well!

I'm not against another MMO. But to use Kickstarter for that? Hell I'm 100% against it. Leave Kickstarter for pay once own lifetime projects and ask PerfectWorldEntertainment to fund monthly taxing and milking schemes!

I'm mixed on this. I'm more of a single-player RPG person but I do enjoy the occasional MMO. I agree with much of what this is stating (that MMOs have lost much of the social aspects with group finders, mostly solo content, auction houses, etc.). I think "The Vision" of McQuaid (which appears to be carried over into this game) is a bit too far a path for modern gamers.

Many of what I would imagine are his target audience (gamers who started out with EQ1) are older, have families and have less uninterrupted time to spend in these games.

There have been several other MMOs which are looking to fill an underserved niche (Garriott's Shadow of the Avatar, Marc Jabobs Camelot Unchained, and now this).

I have no problem with crowd funding MMOs. The initial purchase price for MMOs has historically been the same or at least similar to the purchase price for single player games. If you're funding to get the 'initial' game (and possibly extra perks/gametime/etc) then there's nothing wrong with it.

I can't see the publishers funding games like this (or the Garriott, Jacobs' projects) so kickstarter is a natural fit.

Definitely pledged, hoping the original EQ1s gameplay carries over to this one (even Vanguard was great, had it not been so buggy at release). First day so far $25k out of $800k, I hope they make it but I was hoping to see at least $100k reached the first day.

I'd like to see a targeted MMO around PVE only. I think targeted MMOs are the way to go, and most of the people I know prefer PVE exclusively and miss the thrill of exploration and a journey to max level rather than a mad rush to max level and then only raiding.

Definitely pledged, hoping the original EQ1s gameplay carries over to this one (even Vanguard was great, had it not been so buggy at release). First day so far $25k out of $800k, I hope they make it but I was hoping to see at least $100k reached the first day.

Yes I was hoping to see close to $100k on the first day as well but lot of people still have bad taste in their mouth after the issues they had with Vanguard so I am not surprised it didn't make $100k.

$44k now, considering pledges usually slow down after day 1, it doesn't give me much hope. But maybe if word-of-mouth spreads in the MMO community, it might improve.

Oh hell no, I liked to solo when I did play these games years ago.

Instantly pledged. No mmo these days comes close to touching those like EQ 1, or even Vanguard. Vanguard may have had issues, but the aim and design was pretty damn good. After 15 years of entertaining me in various forms, I'm willing to give McQuaid another shot.....and a chunk of cash. If people want things like this to succeed, people must support them.

Maybe I'm just ignorant, but my first thought was, 'how is a kickstarter mmo going to survive the ongoing costs of running an mmo?'

Maybe I'm just ignorant, but my first thought was, 'how is a kickstarter mmo going to survive the ongoing costs of running an mmo?'

Like any MMOs: subscription or/and cash shop. The kickstarter serve to finance the production of the game, not the exploitation of it.

I'm glad a few watchers are interested in the news-bit. Do you guys want more coverage on the game? I will if you guys want it.

Here is update #1.

Link-http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588672538/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen/posts

A Big Thank You, New Pledge Tiers, and More

Hello everyone! First I wanted to send a personal thank you to every one of our early backers for Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen. With the amount of emails and comments I've received over the years about how someone should make a game that returns to the roots of what made MMOs so popular in the first place, I knew there was a large crowd that wanted this game as much as we do. And with these pledges, you're proving that to be true. So, thank you, from the entire team, on getting this show started on the right path. Within 20 hours of launch we had already surpassed the $50k mark, which is commendable - and that's all you!

Also, for clarification to anyone who's wanting to pledge, the amount you pledge will not be charged to your credit card until the $800k goal is reached.

The Purpose of Kickstarter Funding

We've received some questions asking why $800k? Don't MMOs cost a lot more to make? Yes they do. Our intent for this Kickstarter is first to prove that there's enough of a demand for a group focused game that believes in the experience of the game instead of handholding, and to get the ball rolling on development. If we can get to the goal we will have proved that and will have enough to get this game started and be able to get our studio set up and operational. If we only get to the goal and little more, then we will visit other funding opportunities but first and foremost we wanted to make it possible to be completely crowdfunded so that you, the players, have more to do with what goes into the game than other powers would should we need to turn to those options later.

I think this Kickstarter is a very interesting project since its targeting very select group of gamers so I think its worth covering for that alone to see if this get funded or not.

This didn't really peek my interest too much.
First off it seems like "just another mmo". Yet another mmo trying to say it has a large explorable world..I mean, why wouldn't it? Which mmo doesn't? (please don't respond to that question :blush:)
Secondly I don't like the group focus. A part of the reason why I enjoy mmo's is the fact that I can choose to play solo or with people as I feel by my mood. Playing solo in an mmo is a fantastic feeling because the world feels more alive when you have other players running past you and sometimes interacting with you. Having a big focus on grouping really puts me off.

Another thing. I don't mind kickstarter at all. I've backed a few games..but backing an mmo seems rather risky, as they are much more expensive.

Back
Top Bottom