RPGWatch - Invisible Inc. Review

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Arthureloi reviewed Invisible Inc. for us, resulting in a favorable review mentioning some draw backs.

Once a mission begins, the turn-based action takes place in an isometric perspective. The agents must complete the objectives or give up before getting caught. Successful or not, a teleporter must be reached in order to finish the level and go back to the world map.

At the beginning of each turn the agents get AP (action points) allocated according to their speed stat. These APs are used to move and perform actions such as walking, sprinting, taking a peek, using items and so on. The agents must explore the unknown with extreme caution, lest they be caught unaware - the game, even in the lower difficulties, is pretty challenging. Enemies can sense sound and movement so sprinting only when necessary and optimal use of cover is essential. Obstacles include an assortment of enemy guards, traps, surveillance cameras, the laser barriers mentioned above, drones and so on. One thing I found particularly lacking is that after some time these obstacles start getting repetitive because really there's not that much variety. The player might get bored easily with the lack of options here but the mechanics are so tight and the tactical aspect so solid I really did not care so much about that. I'm sure further improvements such as DLCs and mods will contribute do adding new challenges
More information.

Thanks to Arthureloi for sharing his review of the game with us.

Thank you very much for the opportunity! I hope this helps watchers decide about purchasing it or not.

I know some of you might be wondering so here goes an adittional piece of information: A full campaign should take 5 hours, give or take. Also, everytime you replay the campaign the story is the same so... After the first playthrough you'll be skipping the dialogues!

Thank you very much for the opportunity! I hope this helps watchers decide about purchasing it or not.

I know some of you might be wondering so here goes an adittional piece of information: A full campaign should take 5 hours, give or take. Also, everytime you replay the campaign the story is the same so… After the first playthrough you'll be skipping the dialogues!

Thanks for the review.

I got through my playthroughs in around 3 hours each.

I did one on beginner and one on Experienced.

Game is fun and I really enjoyed everything.

I think it would have been fun to have a full campaign kind of game to it too, rather than it being roguelike only.

PS:
What is a rogue-lite? I never heard that term.
A "not so hard" rogue-like?

PS:
What is a rogue-lite? I never heard that term.
A "not so hard" rogue-like?

Basically. They have some of the common features of the genre, but often the difficulty is tuned down from other mechanics. IE Rogue Legacy's castle building/schematic unlocks not disappearing on death. You essentially don't lose all your progress just because you die.

@Pladio: Thank you very much! A full campaign would be nice! Maybe they will add something like that in the future as DLCs or in a sequel, I'd like to see something like that.

@HiddenX: Thanks man! Greywolf00 is right. Roguelites keep some characteristics of roguelikes such as permadeath, procedural level generation, emergent storytelling and so on but at the same time they're watered down a little… Basically, it's a casual roguelike but it does not mean a casual game, because it can be pretty intense in other elements, in this case, stealth.

Excellent review, it is in my wishlist, hope to play soon.

Back
Top Bottom