Fallout 4 - New Beta Patch

Aubrielle

Noveliste
Fallout 4 has a new beta patch, available on Steam. They're trying out some new features, and so far, they haven't messed with mods. So far. Back up your saves before opting in.

Looking for something to do this weekend? It could be a perfect time to patch Fallout 4! A new beta patch is now live on Steam, taking the game to version 1.3, all without (based on the current lack of complaints in the comments) messing with mod support.

The patch doesn't bring anything super-exciting to the table, unless you get charged up by ambient occlusion settings or new status menus. And hey, I don't judge if you do, but this patch seems to be more about the tweaks and the fixes rather than the new hotness: General memory and stability improvements, improved performance when looking through a scope, MacReady's Killshot perk now calculating headshot percentages properly, that sort of thing. Important business to be sure, but not the sort of thing that really makes a headline pop.

Here's the full list of new features:

• New ambient occlusion setting, HBAO+
  • New weapon debris effects (NVIDIA cards only)
  • Added status menu for settlers in your settlements
  • Added ability to rotate an object you are holding with left/right triggers and pressing down on left thumbstick lets you switch the rotating axis
  • Improved "ESDF" keys remapping support while in Workshop mode
If you want to lay your hands on this patch right away, you'll need to be opted in to the beta update program, the process for which is explained in the update announcement. Generally speaking, Bethesda is pretty good at not pushing patches before they're ready, but it is a beta patch, so consider yourself warned and exercise whatever degree of caution you feel appropriate.
More information.

More information.

Wait what?
Is this a patch or a part of Enhanced Edition / Director's Cut?
Where are actual bugfixes?

Awesome. As someone who gets into graphics this is headline news. The addition of HBAO to the configuration is outstanding. The existing SAO is pretty poor and has no way to tweak it other than some minor things in the INI. Hoping I can finally get rid of the massive FPS and buggy HBAO that I was using with ReShade.

Also the new FLEX Nvidia technology sounds real cool. From what I read it lets you shoot things with the big guns and see debris fly about, possibly more but have to verify before I write something I have only heard rumors on.

Then status menu on settlers, better workshop support.

This sounds like a great patch. That writer doesn't know a good headline when it comes across. What kind of gamer is he? Pfft :p

EDIT: Just backed up saves and downloaded - going to check it out this snowy saturday afternoon!

In Fallout 5 the SPECIAL system will be simplified by having only one number, going from 1 to 10, that tells how "cool" is your character. Perks are completely removed. Added FPS systems like cover & rebounding Health meter.

In Fallout 6 you only have one dialogue option. You can press X to initiate dialogue whenever you want. Game still get 10/10 reviews and is chosen as RPG of the year.

Fallout 7 has complete Facebook integration.

Fallout 8 will be iPhone exclusive.

Wasteland 3 will have one thousand attributes and about one million skills. You will be able to spend an entire life creating a party and customizing rules and characters' appearances (not that it matters anyway, in game they all look the same), and will not even have to endure the agonizing experience of playing through the boring same old damn game that Brian Fargo has been doing for decades. But will have to read a load of interviews where Fargo explains how marvelous Fallout would have been if it hadn't been sold it to the evil corporation Bethesda.

I opted into the beta and am getting ready to fire it up and see if there's any graphical improvement. I never thought it looked so bad as it is, but a lot of people seem to think it's the most awful thing ever and has textures from 1982, :rolleyes:

*edit* It does look better now, everything looks more crisp and defined. I guess we just need a fix now for the 1982 Commodore 64 textures.

You all know how I feel about this..

Then why keep posting?

To me it's a good sign that they are patching and adding features, too bad they are run by Bethesda and not cdprojekt because not everyone will see it as a good thing now.

Main reason for posting in a thread like this is to make fun of the people who like this "RPG".... That, in itself, is a better game than FO 4.

Main reason for posting in a thread like this is to make fun of the people who like this "RPG"…. That, in itself, is a better game than FO 4.

Seems pathetic.

Main reason for posting in a thread like this is to make fun of the people who like this "RPG"…. That, in itself, is a better game than FO 4.
I agree, forum games are better games than Bethesda games.

Having a blast with this game - the best part of the patch is the ability to tell if settlers are assigned to a job. The actual implementation is kinda hidden. You click on a settler in Workshop mode and an icon will display, in a box in the upper right, what they are doing. The icons are generic and easy to figure out.

The old way to tell what a settler was doing would be go to workshop mode, get to some high ground and then click on the settler - then it would display what they are assigned to. Hopefully they were working on a crop close by - It was a nice graphic effect but it made settlement management difficult.

Great game and I'm getting back to it right after dinner . . .

Don't worry once you graduate the 6th grade and move to middle school you'll grow out of this childish behavior.

Oh I am enjoying FO4….. I am enjoying it as a Hack & Slash…or maybe Hack & Shoot

The old way to tell what a settler was doing would be go to workshop mode, get to some high ground and then click on the settler - then it would display what they are assigned to.

I just name my settlers as I assign their roles, using one of the Nexus' Settler Renaming mods. Only thing it doesn't help with is the Supply Routes - difficult to tell who is assigned where when multiple supply runners are in the same town.

I'm having the problem that after destroying the brotherhood's base they stop sending ventibirds at the castle and I'm stuck. :(

Bethesda hating seems to be an accepted practice in gaming forums. However, try criticizing anything Witcher and the TW cult will leap upon you and drink your blood. :mad:

Bethesda hating seems to be an accepted practice in gaming forums. However, try criticizing anything Witcher and the TW cult will leap upon you and drink your blood. :mad:

Don't worry, we've got a few super-duper Bethesda boys around here that more than make up for that. ;)

Back
Top Bottom