Dark Souls III - Intro and Character Creation

I was getting some good character creation ideas from
http://www.gamespot.com/gallery/dark-souls-3-starting-stats-and-gear-for-every-cla/2900-539/2/

http://www.gamespot.com/gallery/dark-souls-3-all-starting-armor-and-weapons/2900-544/2/

http://www.gamespot.com/gallery/dark-souls-3-every-starting-merchant-item/2900-540/16/

What class is everyone going? I think I might go Pyromancer :)
Pyromancer said:
"A pyromancer from a remote region who manipulates flame. Also an adept close combat warrior who wields a hand axe."
Level: 8
Vigor: 11
Attunement: 12
Endurance: 10
Vitality: 8
Strength: 12
Dexterity: 9
Intelligence: 14
Faith: 14
Luck: 7

Starting Gear:
Hand Axe
Caduceus Round Shield
Pyromancy Flame (weapon art is "Combustion" spell!)
Pyromancer Crown (maybe secret properties?)
Pyromancer Garb
Pyromancer Wrap
Pyromancer Trousers
Great Swamp Ring ( bonus to fire damage)
"Fireball" Spell

Last edited:
- Maa! Why is a turtle chained to the pilgrims backs?

UI looks nice. Female character models' cutie-factor is finally acceptable. You can watch the poor demonstrator agonize for minutes with the gamepad over the slide-controls that could be done in one second with a mouse-keyboard combo.

Intro is Über-Stupid, narrated-"Story" is an incoherent mess.

Didn't watch the video yet but for class I always start as deprived and build a thief type from there.

- Maa! Why is a turtle chained to the pilgrims backs?

UI looks nice. Female character models' cutie-factor is finally acceptable. You can watch the poor demonstrator agonize for minutes with the gamepad over the slide-controls that could be done in one second with a mouse-keyboard combo.

Intro is Über-Stupid, narrated-"Story" is an incoherent mess.

My opinion is the opposite, i find it fitting for darksouls 3.
Playing with flames seems cool, guess my first try will be a pyromancer too.

PS, anyone know where d'artagnan has gone too?

My opinion is the opposite, i find it fitting for darksouls 3.
Playing with flames seems cool, guess my first try will be a pyromancer too.

PS, anyone know where d'artagnan has gone too?

He's gone theres a goodbye thread somewhere. It's a shame.

He's gone theres a goodbye thread somewhere. It's a shame.

I missed it then. You know why?
A shame as he was one of the few worthy of reading the comments from.

Last edited:
I missed it then. You know why?
A shame as he was one of the few worthy of reading the comments from.

Are you serious?

I'm sure you can apply any of his old crap to Dark Souls 3. Let's have a bit of daartagnan, for old times sake, yeah?

Dartagnan said:
I don't think respawns represent good design. Then again, I don't really think Dark Souls is particularly good. As in, it's not for me - but it's great for people who enjoy that limited formula.

I think there are much, much better ways to provide progression - and XP should be about more than grinding enemies.

Then again, I'm not a big fan of constant combat in any RPG - except perhaps pure action RPGs with nothing but loot and character progression.

Which is why I'm saying I, personally, hope developers take other things from Dark Souls.

I don't really care about the next Souls game itself - and if you guys love the respawns, I hope you get more of that. That's cool by me, as I'm not going to play it anyway - unless they change a whole bunch of stuff.

Wow, I sure feel enlightened.

Now, lets all take the bait and argue about how only bad players end up grinding and derail the thread away from character creation ideas.

What's his idea of a great RPG? Cmon, you know this one!

Dartagnan said:
Skyrim uses an open system as well, but the Perks can make your character feel much more distinct.

Fascinating! Do you like Witcher or Dark Souls more, Dart?

Witcher is already too limited for my tastes in that way, which is probably why I ultimately prefer games like Skyrim - because I'm more about freedom than most.

What about archery?

It doesn't feel dynamic or well implemented, like it does in Skyrim. It's not bad as such, it's just nothing special - and I like my archery.

Yeah, sure.

In Skyrim, I feel like a bad-ass archer, which is exactly what I want from that kind of experience.

Because you can sneak around and take out encounters without a fight? Otherwise you'd die, repeat, and it would become a grind? Dark Souls giving you trouble because the enemy moved? How unfair!

I'm a big stealth freak - and though there's a single backstab move, I'm not seeing much in the way of variety when it comes to classes and feats. Archery is barebones, there's no stealth, there's a relatively limited selection of spells and so on.

Having played all the other 'Souls' games and currently playing Bloodborne… I am looking forward to DS3.

I can certainly understand why some people don't like the respawns. At times, I have to admit I get impatient with it myself. After beating DS1 & DS2 one time through, on NewGame Pluses I'd cheat by copying my savegame file to my desktop so that I wouldn't have to repeat a run to get to a boss fight. But to my credit I'd never do this before beating the game one time.

At the same time, I look at the respawning aspect of the Souls games kind of like how I view a traditional Super Mario Bros. game. When you die in Super Mario, it would be odd if there were no more enemies and all you had to do was run through the level. The Souls games are similar in this aspect… you have to traverse the 'level' and it's enemies (in the case of Souls games, get to the next bonfire) to progress forward.

DS2 did introduce the concept that after you kill an enemy, I believe 10 times, it would no longer respawn. I felt this was a reasonable mechanism that people could take or leave. In a few places in DS2 I did use this feature (because I'm actually quite bad at this type of game and some areas I just cannot master).

In the end, it's a game and some will like it and others won't. I don't see much point in anyone on either side getting snippy over whether not any one particular game is 'good' or not. Some people like Monopoly. Others don't. No biggy.

Well, honestly, archery was ONE thing that Skyrim did relatively well, combat wise. As in, at least sounds were right.
It still lacked precision damage, interesting abilities, stamina management through draw length, was clumsy in third person view and would do better with an option of disabling it's cross hair. But I'm already having a head ache with trying to explain this to imaginary D'artagnan. ;)
Dragon's Dogma archery, now that's something else.

Back
Top Bottom