Cyberpunk 2077 - Better, Bigger, More Revolutionary

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
DualShockers reports that Cyberpunk 2077 will be better, bigger and more revolutionary than originally intended:

CD Projekt’s Cyberpunk 2077 to Be “Better, Bigger, More Revolutionary” Than Originally Intended

During CD Projekt’s 2015 financial results conference, President Adam Kiciński and Studio Head Adam Badowski talked about Cyberpunk 2077, which will come some time in the future for PS4, Xbox One and PC.

We learn that we’re still “a long ways away from the premiere.” Badowski explained that the studio wants to make better and better games, and since The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt has set the bar of success very high, Cyberpunk 2077 has to be “even better, even bigger, even more revolutionary” than originally intended, which is why CD Project still has “a lot of work to do” on it. They want it to be a “truly outstanding game. ”

We also learn that Cyberpunk 2077 is a “huge game,” with a magnitude “much greater” than The Witcher, and the studio has “amazingly large ambitions” for it.

Earlier during the call, Kiciński mentioned that CD Projek will invest heavily in the development of its games, and wants to at least double the size of the studio in terms of developers. Currently they have 400 people working on their games, and want to get to 800 or more. Those developers will be split in four teams, some of which will “penetrate new gaming segments.” […]
Thanks Eye & Couch!

More information.

Last edited:
The article says:
"…since The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt has set the bar of success very high, Cyberpunk 2077 has to be “even better, even bigger, even more revolutionary” than originally intended…"

Of course, I wanna a game bigger, better and more revolutionary than TW3 (who doesn't?), but it seems CDPR are competing with themselves. And this worries me a lot, because I fear they bite off more than they can chew.

Last edited:
Well bigger is not always better; I have yet to play witcher 3 (waitign for the last dlc to start); but witcher 2 was quite long (not excessively long). If witcher 3 is longer than witcher 2 - well ... maybe i will just need to buy one game a year. Maybe bigger doesn't mean longer ?

I'm hoping, in contrast to the Witcher, that we get some useful noncombat skills in this game. That's one of the things that impressed me about Deus Ex, and which I
find sorely lacking in the Witcher games.

Well bigger is not always better; I have yet to play witcher 3 (waitign for the last dlc to start); but witcher 2 was quite long (not excessively long). If witcher 3 is longer than witcher 2 - well … maybe i will just need to buy one game a year. Maybe bigger doesn't mean longer ?

I found the Witcher 3 to be a little too long, especially with my limited time for gaming. Toward the end, I quit trying to do the Witcher contracts and some side quests. When you get to the point where the game tells you to make a manual save, I expected to be going into the end boss battle, but still had a good day of play time afterwards before I got to that point.

I think they better tone done the hype machine. I think we all remember what happened with the "downgraded graphics" scandal.

From everything they've said, I'm wondering if they're developing tech to allow them to rapidly generate streets and buildings, similar to the Speedtree middleware that allows devs to generate large expanses of forest, with minimal effort. I think it would be possible to do that in such a way that a sizeable and fully explorable city could be created without an insane amount of man-hours, and represented by a manageable amount of data on disk.

They also announced one more title that will be released this very year - maybe some mobile game or some simple card game. No details given so far. And one more AAA besides Cyberpunk to be released somewhere 2017-2021. Probably closer 2021 then 2017 :)

seems CDPR are competing with themselves.
After TW3, who do you think the should compete with?
Shadowrun phonegames? Gazillion of recent roguelikes? Cancelled Fable and whatever the name was Bioware's MMO?

I think The Witcher 3 was a very great game, enough to have no competition as RPG in 2015, but I didn't find it really revolutionary. The combat was repetitive and the talents/perks uninspiring and hardly impacted or offered incentive during the gameplay beyond empowering either light attacks, strong attacks or signs to passively do better what they already do from level 1.

What was great of The Witcher 3 was the great storytelling backed by superb voice acting and rich characters to love and hate. And the Witcher didn't invent any of those, probably learned it from BioWare and skipped a few mistakes BioWare committed (such as selling their souls to EA). And while to me the Witcher 3 was great, it was still not quite Mass Effect trilogy great, though in this claim I'm just speaking opinions.

All in all, I'm quite interested in Cyberpunk 2077, but I'm old enough to know that the more you hype a game, the less you get to enjoy it when it's released. Making the kind of claims they do in this article only goes against them. Saying "Cyberpunk will be bigger, better and more revolutionary than the Witcher 3" is setting the bar way too high for themselves, and I'm quite sure it's a huge call for disappointment on every player that takes those words literally. Those words are also dangerously similar to the words spoken by the guys in charge of the recently failed Fable game. I really hope Cyberpunk keeps quiet and more or less under the radar until its release, without creating such great expectations (like with The Witcher 3 more or less, as the previous Witcher games were good, but hardly outstanding titles that anyone would consider "must have RPGs"), because that is the formula to success.

Last edited:
(…) Making the kind of claims they do in this article only goes against them. Saying "Cyberpunk will be bigger, better and more revolutionary than the Witcher 3" is setting the bar way too high for themselves, and I'm quite sure it's a huge call for disappointment on every player that takes those words literally(…)

Emerwyn, please allow me to use your words in order to reply to Joxer :) : this is what I was meaning! This is what I'm afraid of: CDPR setting the bar so high they even can't see it, and then *blam* falling down like Icarus when he got near the Sun.

Don't get me wrong, I also wanna this game. A LOT! And there are today few game developers capable of making a proper Cyberpunk PC game, and I count CD Projekt Red among them.

Last edited:
Emerwyn, please allow me to use your words in order to reply to Joxer :) : this what I was meaning! This is what I'm afraid of: CDPR setting the bar so high they even can't see it, and then *blam* falling down like Icarus when he got near the Sun.

Don't get me wrong, I also wanna this game. A LOT! And there are today few game developers capable of making a proper Cyberpunk PC game, and I count CD Projekt Red among them.

Let me put it to you this way then. If you are not setting the bar high enough, then you will never push the limits. Even if they fail in what they wanted to do, I am sure it will be better than the same crap other companies keep pushing out.

Personal to the point"
Last year(2015) it was a hard to grow business in NA. I had told the owner of the company I work for what numbers I had set to meet for the year. He had told me those numbers could not be reach with the economic setting we were in.

I had said so you want me to set numbers for the company we can reach easily or something that we might not be able to do.

Funny thing is we hit them, it took right to the last few days of the year to do but we did.

There is a crucial difference between setting the bar high, and selling that they will certainly pass that bar before the game has even entered its final stage of production.

Setting the bar high is something that any respectable company will do every time in every field of life.

Saying you already passed that bar (literally "will be bigger, better and more revolutionary") before the product is even finished and neither critics nor the public have had the chance to decide it for themselves, is just selling smoke (because the developer doesn't decide if something is better - the critics and the public do). Most of the time those claims lead down a rough path towards disappointment, sometimes they are just a way to pump up sales from regretful players that expected so much more from the game, just as Bethesda recently did with Fallout 4. Here's hoping they do meet their claims, but truth is that I like the Cyberpunk 2077 project a little less today than I did yesterday.

I am not here to tell you what to think, that is for sure.

But you if you feel CDProdjekt Red is anything like other companies then you don't get them at all.

I wouldn't put too much weight in those words from CDP. It's just the normal hype mongering as usual. Just like Activision promise the bestest-ever-Call-of-Duty-this-time-for-real every single year.
CDP is just following the industry standard here where you hype your next game to be your best game ever. Yawn. Everyone does it like that.
I don't think that there is anything to worry about with regard to size or anything. This is just the marketing drum we are hearing here.

As the "downgrade-gate" has shown, it's best to simply ignore this kind of pre-release hype and judge the game for oneself when it's actually out. Only results count and not "better blahblah bigger blahblah revolutionary blahblah" ... jeez, they sound exactly like the EActiblizzUbiTake2 brigade ;) .

Back
Top Bottom