RPGWatch Feature - Stardew Valley Review

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Purpleblob goes farming and gets married in her review of Stardew Valley.

On my first play through the game, I followed the direction that the game seemed to push me towards - playing a hard-working farmer that befriended the townsfolk, and worked to unite the community and drive away the evil corporation that I used to work for in my previous life.

On my second character, I went the opposite direction, and role played a girl who didn't bother so much with farming, but spent her time making easy money, and working to cement Joja's foothold on the town. Both ways were equally satisfying, and did not lock me out of some of the optional features and areas of the town.

With a little bit of imagination, you will find the game offers a surprising amount of replayability. In contrast to some AAA games, at no point was I railroaded into taking a certain approach to roleplaying, and the game did not artificially heap guilt upon me for assisting the "bad guys".
More information.

Thanks Purpleblob!

Awsome review.
I would like to see comparing it with Sims3 regarding content+price+updates, but it's great read even in this style.

Thanks pb!

I still have to play this one - thank you for the review Purpleblob!

Thanks Purpleblob, what a great review! I haven't picked up this game, yet, though I will. I've been waiting for a sale, but it seems so successful, that its not even on sale on GOG during their summer sale. Its only 15 dollars, so maybe I'll have to bite the bullet at some point.

It really would be nice to have this game available for tablets, would help me get through these boring weeks with no computer!

It really would be nice to have this game available for tablets, would help me get through these boring weeks with no computer!
There is at least one feature (fishing minigame for example) inside that prevents it being ported on phones. Ever. Don't hold your hopes.
It will come on consoles though.

As for weeks without PC and only tablet, I suggest subscription on comixology (6 bucks per month) and enjoying classics and masterpieces of the ninth art.
Unless you have a problem like me where you can't enjoy digital versions that are not on paper. In such case, do install Crunchyroll client, visit our Anime thread and check on stuff you didn't believe can exist.

I am looking forward to the day when tablets are more than just a 'tablet'. It seems we should see something new in the next year or two where these devices offer a little more bang for their buck. Which would then allow us to see more widespread releases of these lower tier games (graphics! not lower tier fun! :) )

You can't expect 2D control to replace 3D control.
We got used too much on inputs that surpass pencil and we have 10 fingers not just a nose to poke dirt with it.

I am looking forward to the day when tablets are more than just a 'tablet'. It seems we should see something new in the next year or two where these devices offer a little more bang for their buck. Which would then allow us to see more widespread releases of these lower tier games (graphics! not lower tier fun! :) )

I'd recommend a slim convertible laptop that can be held like a tablet. The gaming is way better (not to mention I do all my work on it, too), and it's only a little thicker, well worth it for a full keyboard. Some of them come with decent hardware. Pillars of Eternity, for example, is no sweat, Xcom 2 is fine (think I turned the settings down) and even Cities Skylines with hundreds of cars driving around works well on low settings.

Edit: Also wishlisted Stardew Valley for whenever Paradox loosens its death grip on my attention.

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone :) I don't do reviews often but I really enjoyed Stardew Valley, so wanted to share my opinion with the Watchers. Hopefully some of you will pick it up after reading my review, it is a great game!

I am aware of improvements on spouse interactions with the recent patch, but I still think there's lot of room for improvements. The quality for spouse interactions really varies depending on which bachelor/ette you married. I am still very much disappointed with Sam and Alex post patch.

Awsome review.
I would like to see comparing it with Sims3 regarding content+price+updates, but it's great read even in this style.

Thanks pb!

Sorry joxer, I haven't played any Sims so I couldn't make any comparison. I also don't play JRPGs :(

There is at least one feature (fishing minigame for example) inside that prevents it being ported on phones. Ever. Don't hold your hopes.
A slider mechanics cant be adaptated to phones. Surprising.

Awsome review.

Thanks pb!

Price: quite good for the amount of content the game has. Updates: first batch of updates was mainly bugfixing, with the second batch being oriented towards addding new content for…free. I know…strange concept in our days.

I would not compare Stardew Valley with Sims, but with the Harvest Moon series. And in that respect, Stardew Valley succeeds in competing with that iconic series. You have a story mode, but you are not rushed into it. You can take your time, try a lot of things until you manage to find the stuff you want to actually do (mining, fishing, farming, adventuring - they all are viable options)

As the result of the work of ONE man, this "little" game is quite polished. You can actually feel that it was by someone passionate about gaming. People really appreciated that by buying it mostly at full price (Steamspy reveals that it sold over a million copies so far and still going strong).

Bottom line: if you liked Harvest Moon, you will definitely enjoy Stardew Valley. Content wise, game is quite fine, especially for the asking price (around 15 euro). Solid after-launch support, with the developer working on the bugfixing and new content. Only problem (for me): the control scheme, which i think is a bit clunky (not a world's end, but could be better).

A slider mechanics cant be adaptated to phones. Surprising.
If it was just slider… But it's not. It's hold/let go precisely and miliseconds count.
The minigame cannot be adapted as phones just can't do such controls effectively (the similar reason is why Drakensang can't ever get ported onto phones). What can happen is replacing this minigame with another, but Stardew Valley author already said there is no way he'll ever replace fishing minigame with something else. Ever.

Sorry joxer, I haven't played any Sims so I couldn't make any comparison. I also don't play JRPGs :(
Wait till I get home later. We'll fix the first part definetly and maybe the second. ;)

I would not compare Stardew Valley with Sims…

Bottom line: if you liked Harvest Moon…
I have no idea what Harvest Moon is, all I know something like that doesn't exist on Steam, Origin, uPlay, GOG, Rockstar Social Club… Anywhere.
And if something doesn't exist on any of those it means it - sucks. Sorry.
Don't pull on me RDR thing. It's just one extreme example of publisher not caring for $.

But just as with PurpleB, lemme get home so I get the water on my mill already.
I've said before something like Stardew Valley is nothing but Sims3+World Adventures expansion for poor.

Bottom line form my perspective would be:
If you liked Sims 3+WA…
We should check if vice versa works, right? ;)

I have no idea what Harvest Moon is, all I know something like that doesn't exist on Steam, Origin, uPlay, GOG, Rockstar Social Club… Anywhere.
Don't pull on me RDR thing. It's just one extreme example of publisher not caring for $.

Sorry but that is the most ignorant thing I've heard you say :p
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvest_Moon_(video_game)
Some games just haven't been adapted to new media for various reasons.

If it was just slider… But it's not. It's hold/let go precisely and miliseconds count.
The minigame cannot be adapted as phones just can't do such controls effectively (the similar reason is why Drakensang can't ever get ported onto phones). What can happen is replacing this minigame with another, but Stardew Valley author already said there is no way he'll ever replace fishing minigame with something else. Ever.

Wait till I get home later. We'll fix the first part definetly and maybe the second. ;)

But just as with PurpleB, lemme get home so I get the water on my mill already.
I've said before something like Stardew Valley is nothing but Sims3+World Adventures expansion for poor.

Bottom line form my perspective would be:
If you liked Sims 3+WA…
We should check if vice versa works, right? ;)

Harvest Moon exists on a rather extensive Nintendo consoles line-up. And there are two or three iOS games, too and also on some of the Sony consoles (it is mostly a Nintendo franchise, as they've got the most of the the games). I get that someone that is only a PC gamer would not hear about it, but someone that played on multiple consoles and PC, will, probably, know about it.

Comparing Sims 3 with Stardew Valley is a wee bit of a stretch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Story_of_Seasons_(series)

You can see there the series history (renamed due to legal reasons, in our days)

I own a

his is a great game, good to see a review here. Spent so many hours on this.

PurpleBlob and Wolfsrain please check your private message inbox.

Nentendo you say?
I was perfectly clear what I think of Nintendo a year or so back and although noone was happy and some even more than that, I didn't change my mind. So maybe it's best to keep that burried at least I'll do that.

Anyway, keep in mind all Stardew Valley features:
- house and house upgrades
- money earning on selling stuff
- farming
- fishing
- rock collecting
- dungeons
- socializing
- family
- storage chests
- 10 levels for every skill

Back