System Shock - Kickstarter Started

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
The Kickstarter for the System Shock reboot has started a few hours ago and already raised $127K of the $900K goal. It has a demo that you can download from Steam, GOG or Humble Bundle.

System Shock is a complete remake of the genre defining classic from 1994, rebuilt from the ground up with the Unity Engine.

System Shock was one of the first 3D games that took a methodical approach to exploration while revealing a story driven narrative through audio logs and messages scattered throughout the game world. It was a revolutionary step forward for the medium in a time when developers first began experimenting with interactive story telling.

Players were trapped aboard Citadel Station as they fought to survive against the cyborgs and mutated crew members corrupted by a maniacal A.I. known as SHODAN, one of the most treacherous antagonists ever conceived. System Shock offered an unparalleled experience that would solidify it as one of the greatest games of all time.

More information.

All the early birds are gone already, that was quick.

Yes, I saw SPONFull's post and then, when I went to Kickstarter… All gone!!! I backed the $30.00 tier, anyway :)

I'm all for backing this and supporting the team, but that video was probably the worst of any kickstarter project I've backed.

There is a demo available on steam, I just downloaded it. I'm pretty sure I will back this, at the $50 level, if the demo shows any promise at all. This game has me excited. I played the original game a long time ago, and I like the science fiction stuff.

I won't back it, because I think the game is already done, but I'll buy it eventually.

Whaaaaa
To help shape and direct the existing narrative of System Shock, we've enlisted the help of Chris Avellone, who is best known for his work on a number of role-playing games, including; Fallout: New Vegas, Wasteland 2, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II, Planescape: Torment, and Fallout 2. Chris will be working closely with Stephen Kick (our Creative Director) and Jason Fader (our Project Director and Senior Producer from Fallout: New Vegas) as well as several other key developers from Fallout: New Vegas to bring modern AAA quality into the world of System Shock.
YAY!!

If I read it right for $30 I can choose between Steam and Gog but if I spend $50 I have to take a Steam version only. Not very clear and annoying since I would go for a soundtrack tier but would prefer Gog.

If I read it right for $30 I can choose between Steam and Gog but if I spend $50 I have to take a Steam version only. Not very clear and annoying since I would go for a soundtrack tier but would prefer Gog.

I think that's an omission. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, where it lists the tiers again more elaborately, it does mention a choice between Steam and GOG for the 50$ tier.

Yes, it must be a conspiracy. :rolleyes:

Probably not, I just don't see these guys needing the money with all the assets that they already show in the game. I try to back games that I think won't get made otherwise. These guys don't seem to fit that bill. I'll pay them for a released product if the lambs like it on release.

Probably not, I just don't see these guys needing the money with all the assets that they already show in the game. I try to back games that I think won't get made otherwise. These guys don't seem to fit that bill. I'll pay them for a released product if the lambs like it on release.

Suit yourself. They probably didn't need to use Kickstarter, but then neither did Obsidian, Larian, inXile, etc.

I backed all of these guys....at release :) I like to back indies, not small studios. Serpent in the Staglands, Aledorn, Xulima, Balrum, etc. If you're big enough to have a building that houses your work, I'll back someone smaller.

Nothing wrong with that, even if it doesn't make much sense from a spending standpoint. You're spending the same amount or more if you're going to purchase at release anyways. On top of that, you're probably getting less since being a backer often gets you free DLC or some such bonus.

I tried the demo for 15 minutes. FPS in starting areas moved between 40 and 50 fps on I5-4690 and Nvidia 960 GPU. The game didn't look beautiful enough to get sub 60 fps and that was in battles with only one robot or empty rooms.
I am not sure if that is bad optimization of the demo or my system.
How was fps in game on your systems?

Back
Top Bottom