Expeditions: Viking - Status Update

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
A status update about the upcoming patch 1.03 for Expeditions: Viking is available.

Due to our test process, patch 1.0.3 has been in the works since a few days before 1.0.2 went live. Our main focus has been to iron out the rest of the crashes. The fire crash of course was the most common one people experienced. We finally tracked it down and fixed it yesterday. The second-most common crash now appears to be related to campsites. We've been unable to reproduce this bug on our own machines, but we've been asking those of you who reported experiencing it for your savegames, so hopefully we'll find a way to make it crash for us as well, so we can find it and fix it.

Nova and I have been busy hunting quest logic bugs. The most common bug of that nature is the Play Only Once bug which is an annoyingly common mistake where some conversations were set to only trigger once, but also had the ability to not play if certain conditions weren't met. In these cases, if you triggered the conversation before the conditions were met, for example by clicking on a character who did not yet have a nameplate or walking into a proximity trigger that was not yet active, it would still set the conversation as having played and never trigger it again. It's an extremely easy bug to fix, but finding every occurrence of it has proven tricky. Your reports have been invaluable in that respect.

We also found the cause of the negative status effects that never go away. It was caused by adding combat-status effects outside of combat, which were then never cleaned up. That too will be fixed for 1.0.3.

A major focus area for us has been the end of the game. Since this part of the game wasn't available in the closed betas for fear of spoilers, it wasn't tested nearly as well as the rest of the game. The result has been that you've found some pretty severe bugs there, including broken reinforcements in the Homestead defence fight, and the fact that loading a savegame during that sequence would completely break the game.

The upshot is that those bugs have been fixed for 1.0.3.
Thanks Pladio.

More information.

Few more patches and i am gonna enjoy it a whole lot !

You can enjoy it already, these issues in 1.03 are so rare you probably won't see them unless you're unlucky in life.

"We've been unable to reproduce this bug on our own machines, but we've been asking those of you who reported experiencing it for your savegames, so hopefully we'll find a way to make it crash for us as well, so we can find it and fix it."

And this is why you use crash logging and reporting, including crash dumps.
It is unrealistic to expect to be able to reproduce all bugs on the dev machines...

The game has crash dumps and crash logs.

You can enjoy it already, these issues in 1.03 are so rare you probably won't see them unless you're unlucky in life.

Not really. The end game fixes are critical. I am awaiting those before I begin on a serious attempt with this game.

I look forward to getting back into this one. Until then, I've actually been enjoying Two Worlds Two quite a bit, will probably finish this before heading back to Exped vikings.

Not really. The end game fixes are critical. I am awaiting those before I begin on a serious attempt with this game.

This sounds like "I've met a perfect girl, totally my type except... I'll be waiting till she gets a boob job.".

Get real and start playing the game already. Before she marries another.

This sounds like "I've met a perfect girl, totally my type except… I'll be waiting till she gets a boob job.".

My type wouldn't ever get one.....

This sounds like "I've met a perfect girl, totally my type except… I'll be waiting till she gets a boob job.".

I am not sure that analogy applies. The game will still be there.

I would certainly say it is worth buying this game now to support the developers but no harm in waiting to play it if you have the patience / willpower. Aside from fixing the remaining bugs, it could also use some serious balance tweaks. By the time you leave Denmark, combat is generally too easy even on Insane. For one thing, I think they're a bit too generous with the Skillpoints you receive in quests.

And it's too easy to get most of the resources. In Conquistadors you sometimes had to trade for rations or medicine but in Viking food and herbs are so ridiculously plentiful. The only resources that I've needed to trade for are wood (because you need a lot for homestead upgrades) and hides (if you want to craft armor / helmets). Crafting itself is way OP.

I was having a mostly bug-free experience until I got to (possibly) the last quest / battle for one of the factions in the British isles. The game kept crashing in the middle of this rather large battle. We just got the latest patch for GOG yesterday and while the game is no longer crashing I still experience weird freezing issue that prevented me from completing the fight last night. Going to give it one more shot but I may be better off putting the game aside for awhile.

It is a great game and once it's all patched up it will be even better. I do hope they do something to make it more challenging though for players who like a challenge…

I bought it so the devs have my support, but I'm still going to wait for the boob job.

Seems like a pretty big oversight to not have some paid Q&A on the endgame, especially since it's notoriously difficult to bug test RPGs. Having software developers test their own stuff is next-to-useless. You really need someone from outside the company to stomp down on this stuff.

I had morale lowered on my main but it got fixed so now i am bugfree

Speaking of the Campsites, hopefully they fix the degradation bug. All you have to do is stay at a Campsite once, it will go from Good or Very Good Bed/Sleep quality to Very Bad. Even if you Sweep, No Hunting, nothing damaging it still falls to lowest quality.

There's also still a pretty bad bug for those No Kill players who only want to Knock Out, The Rats. If you try now, you report back to the Thegn you killed them.

They said they are focusing on bugs for now. Gameplay improvement will have to wait for a bit.

At the speed they are fixing things however, I would think they are likely to start gameplay improvements from June onwards.

Back
Top Bottom