Dishonored 2 - Female Protagonist

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Gamecrate reports that Dishonored 2 has a female protagonist because...

Feminist Frequency paved the way for a playable female protagonist in Dishonored 2

Unlike the original Dishonored, which featured two different male protagonists (one in the main game and another in the optional DLC campaign), Dishonored 2 allows players to control either returning protagonist Corvo Attano or his adult daughter, Empress Emily Kaldwin. According to developer Arkane Studios, the decision to make Emily a playable character in the sequel was based off of negative feedback it received for the first game.

More specifically, Arkane co-creative director Harvey Smith said that it was critic Anita Sarkeesian’s analysis of Dishonored, which she offered through her web series Feminist Frequency, which promoted the studio to re-evaluate how it portrayed women in the series. It was only after Dishonored was released that Smith and his team realized the game contained a very limiting portrayal of women as a whole:

“At first you take some criticism and you go, ‘Wait a minute,’ and then you go look and it’s like, ‘Wow, every woman in Dishonored is either a servant, a prostitute, a witch, a queen, a little girl, or a mistress. We had a mistress. That was not our intention.”

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Bollocks, they could have put an alien and a predator instead of both Corvo and Emily - the game would still be a masterpiece.

But okay, if we'll look at the game from major protagonist gender perspective as the article suggests, it hides another thing - the main villain is also a female, but not just any kind of a female. It's arsekicking deadly mistress of doom I'd always hire as my bodyguard if was possible. Sorry Aria.

Steam sale starts tomorrow. Apart from usual garbageware like GTA5 everyone buys, it's a chance to grab recent masterworks for some cheap price. I don't want to hear someone bought everything but skipped Dishonored 2.
No it's not RPG, some RPG elements are inside it, but it's just an ingenious environment puzzler. Here's hope one of it's sequels will be RPG, but till then, don't miss it!
Geez, me advertising Bethesda. If someone told me this could happen, I'd say not in a million years. Well, it happened.

I just never get into stealth games. Every one I've played feels like meta gaming.... Oh, I got caught doing XYZ? OK, I'll reload and go ZYX. Oh that didn't work either? OK, reload.

I just never get into stealth games. Every one I've played feels like meta gaming…. Oh, I got caught doing XYZ? OK, I'll reload and go ZYX. Oh that didn't work either? OK, reload.

Have you tried being stealthy so that you avoid being caught?

It works wonders in stealth games! ;)

Reloading when you make a fatal mistake is pretty common for computer games, though.

Reloading is one thing. But "being stealthy" means twitch gaming, which isn't very RPG to me.

Actually, it's the opposite of twitch gaming - because you have to be patient, slow and methodical :)

The primary skills involved are observation and careful timing, not reflexes or hand-eye coordination which would be the typical twitch skills.

I'm not sure why you're confusing stealth games with RPGs now, though.

I just never get into stealth games. Every one I've played feels like meta gaming…. Oh, I got caught doing XYZ? OK, I'll reload and go ZYX. Oh that didn't work either? OK, reload.

You can play Dishonored all gun-ho, stealth is not really required, it just makes killing easier. The combat is pretty satisfying too.

Well this site is called "RPG Watch"

I'm not confusing anything. And twitch can mean "unloading bullets accurately in real time" just as much as it means "watching enemies and moving un noticed in real time"

Well this site is called "RPG Watch"

I'm not talking about the name of the site, but the stealth genre.

I'm not confusing anything. And twitch can mean "unloading bullets accurately in real time" just as much as it means "watching enemies and moving un noticed in real time"

You sure sound confused and you obviously don't know what twitch gaming means. It's about reaction time.

Here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twitch_gameplay_(reaction_time)

So, you're utterly wrong.

Oy, so reaction time has nothing to do with moving stealthily? Ever? It's real-time movement/actions in response to enemies/NPCs.

I don't know why I need to repeat myself here. If you're observant, patient and you time your movement right - you don't need fast reflexes or a quick response at all.

Playing stealth games well is really quite graceful and slow.

Fast reaction times would be for when you mess up and you have to avoid being seeing before it's too late.

Sounds like you don't really have any of those skills, so the genre is definitely not for you :)

Moving in response to visual stimuli on screen, in real time, using a controller or M&K is the same thing. It's about hand/eye coordination. Often, parts of stealth games are not at all slow, there's timing (or even timed encounters), plus hand/eye coordination involved.

It's real-time movement and reactions deciding success/failure.

Also, if you actually read my first comment, you wouldn't be arguing with me.

What are you even talking about.
The game does have "ghost" achievement, but it doesn't require you to play it stealthy all the way. You're an assassin with numerous options of dealing with targets, why would you go stealthy if you find "gunblazing" more fun?

Wait. Did you play the game at all?
I've said in my first post - Dishonored 2 is an environment puzzler. It's up to you how will you play it - no "puzzle" in it has just one solution. Yea, a certain door has just one solution to it's lock, but your way to the code can be different. Imagine this: one way doesn't include any kind of stealth nor combat; only your wits matter. But if wits are no fun to you, you can always sneak up to the code on paper. Or massacre a faction who has it.

Moving in response to visual stimuli on screen, in real time, using a controller or M&K is the same thing. It's about hand/eye coordination. Often, parts of stealth games are not at all slow, there's timing (or even timed encounters), plus hand/eye coordination involved.

It's real-time movement and reactions deciding success/failure.

So, now you're trying to educate me on a genre you've just admitted you could never get into? That's amusing :)

Once again, we're talking about the primary skillset involved. No one said hand-eye coordination is completely irrelevant - it's just not particularly high the list of what's required compared to observation and caution.

You could take any real-time game including Skyrim or Gothic and claim they're twitch games because you sometimes need decent hand-eye coordination. Which would be stupid.

That said, if you can't admit being wrong about caution and stealth not being twitch skills - then whatever floats your boat :)

Also, if you actually read my first comment, you wouldn't be arguing with me.

I wouldn't be arguing with you if you were right - or had the decency to admit being wrong when that's obviously the case.

Well, you can pause and hammer health and ability potions even during combat in Skyrim, you can have an insanely high armor class before approaching an encounter, you can go do something completely different to avoid an encounter, etc. Dishonored is not nearly as RPG or stats based in any way. It's mostly based on player hand-eye coordination.

Back
Top Bottom