HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Redglyph spotted a major update for Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous:

Update 1.4.0y

Ahoy, sailors!

A new update 1.4.0y has docked! If you participated in the beta branch, don't forget to opt out
to download it.

If you don't want to switch to the new version yet, you can continue playing the 1.3.7d version if you select this branch in the game's properties:

This will allow you to avoid updating your game and your mods, but you won't be able to play the new DLC until you update to version 1.4! Please keep that in mind.

Highlights:

• After finishing the crusade project you need for the secret ending, you will get the copy of the report in your inventory;
  • Fixed the issue with the incorrect resolution if you had 2 different monitors;
  • Fixed the way your animal companion appeared in the second DLC;
  • Animal companions no longer run backwards, and we also fixed their position in the inventory;
  • Fixed the issue with the third floor of Gray Garrison being inaccessible in some cases;
  • Inventory and the battle log will work faster now;
  • Various fixes for different items, spells, and abilities (read more below);
  • The effects of buffs and negative statuses now pause during cutscenes;
  • Fixed some cutscenes that didn't stop playing when they should.
[...]
More information.

Ugh, a 19Gb automatic download. *drumming fingers* Why can't Steam handle this in the background?

Ugh, a 19Gb automatic download. *drumming fingers* Why can't Steam handle this in the background?
The download can be done in the background while playing other games. Or do you mean to keep playing this game while it finishes? Not sure if that's possible.

It's possible on GOG but Steam always forces the user to update before playing, so I don't think so.
You can switch it to the old version like the patch notes say and keep playing under that until you get time. (Well, except that you've already finished by now.)

Sigh I love Owlcat RPGs...but man the patches and updates are a pain in the ass. Given how much GB's I re-downloaded, it amounts to re-downloading the game over five times.

Almost as bad as Cyberpunk 2077. o_o

Sigh I love Owlcat RPGs...but man the patches and updates are a pain in the ass. Given how much GB's I re-downloaded, it amounts to re-downloading the game over five times.

Almost as bad as Cyberpunk 2077. o_o
The irony is that most reviews of the game completely glossed over the massive - and I do mean MASSIVE - issues the game had at release.

It was essentially: "No serious bugs, really".

It was what motivated me to write my own Steam review - as I thought it was pretty absurd how trivial so many established reviewers made the state of issues out to be.

The irony is that most reviews of the game completely glossed over the massive - and I do mean MASSIVE - issues the game had at release.

It was what motivated me to write my own Steam review - as I thought it was pretty absurd how trivial so many established reviewers made the state of issues out to be.
I played the game on release and, while I noticed few bugs and technical glitches, it was nothing that would really significantly spoil good time I had playing the game. I'm quite sure this is subjective matter, to some degree and I noticed from your posts that you could be rather on the more sensitive side. That's fine by me, just saying it's not the only way how to look at it.

The enhanced edition for the game is releasing in just over 3 weeks. If anyone is thinking about playing now I highly recommend waiting. Apparently it is supposed to be a "huge" patch.

There were issues but nothing that I'd characterize by "massive". As many other game, specific hardware configurations were having a real problem but I believe they were quickly addressed.

TB was not entirely stable yet though, especially with some builds (typ. mounted ones), and they needed to finish the crusade battle system. Then more problems came after the first patches when they introduced more annoying bugs. It's a very complex game and I think they need a better validation methodology. Using a bot to test that the quests are still OK is very naive.

It's such a typical pattern in games that reviewers tend not to let it influence the score; after all, it wouldn't reflect what the game actually is once the bugs are fixed (except if that game is really beyond hope like CP2077). Maybe they should though, I wouldn't encourage publishers to release games that are not ready, but unfortunately it seems to have been part of the deal for a long time.

To be fair, most reviews talked about the bugs, and the game is really excellent so I don't think the scores were so unfair.

There were issues but nothing that I'd characterize by "massive". As many other game, specific hardware configurations were having a real problem but I believe they were quickly addressed.

TB was not entirely stable yet though, especially with some builds (typ. mounted ones), and they needed to finish the crusade battle system. Then more problems came after the first patches when they introduced more annoying bugs. It's a very complex game and I think they need a better validation methodology. Using a bot to test that the quests are still OK is very naive.

It's such a typical pattern in games that reviewers tend not to let it influence the score; after all, it wouldn't reflect what the game actually is once the bugs are fixed (except if that game is really beyond hope like CP2077). Maybe they should though, I wouldn't encourage publishers to release games that are not ready, but unfortunately it seems to have been part of the deal for a long time.

To be fair, most reviews talked about the bugs, and the game is really excellent so I don't think the scores were so unfair.

That isn't massive?

I'd say respeccing is something a lot of players would do at least once.

Also, TB not being entirely stable is a bit of an understatement. I certainly found it close to unplayable.

But, sure, it's all subjective.

That isn't massive?

Also, TB not being entirely stable is a bit of an understatement. I certainly found it close to unplayable.

It is subjective. Thats proven by reality that we are having this discussion. Just mentioning it as Im getting strong irony vibes from your post, but I could be wrong.
By the way, Im never respeccing in RPG games, unless it would be somehow part of the story or lore. And another by the way, I played it only in TB and while some glitches were annoying, it was far, far from unplayable for me.

The enhanced edition for the game is releasing in just over 3 weeks. If anyone is thinking about playing now I highly recommend waiting. Apparently it is supposed to be a "huge" patch.
Just started new character, but will probably continue to play and start over with Enhanced edition. My progress is so slow due to limited time it anyway hardly matters. Anyway, as I started new game I noticed the camera angles in "cutscenes" were reworked and it has much more cinematic feel now. Looks cool.

That isn't massive?

I did mention that problems had appeared after the few first patches, which was the case here.

I have personally never respecced any character and I don't understand the point of it. It completely disrupts the game so I'd rather restart it. I've never been at ease with games in which the player starts at a higher level either, except when I know the game a lot. But Pathfinder takes a huge lot of time to finish, so not something I fancy re-playing much. But to each their own.

Anyway, the game is not meant to be played liked that, it's more a hack for people who can't live with their initial choices, so it's certainly not a massive or blocking bug in my book.

TB has had some issues similar to Kingmaker for a long time. For example it wouldn't start the next round and the player had to quickly switch to RTwP then back to TB to unlock it. And there were a few bugs with charge. I have played with it on and off, and it never blocked me.

But as I said, for mounted classes it was more serious (I don't know the details about that). Maybe it was your case?

I did mention that problems had appeared after the few first patches, which was the case here.

I have personally never respecced any character and I don't understand the point of it. It completely disrupts the game so I'd rather restart it. I've never been at ease with games in which the player starts at a higher level either, except when I know the game a lot. But Pathfinder takes a huge lot of time to finish, so not something I fancy re-playing much. But to each their own.

Anyway, the game is not meant to be played liked that, it's more a hack for people who can't live with their initial choices, so it's certainly not a massive or blocking bug in my book.

TB has had some issues similar to Kingmaker for a long time. For example it wouldn't start the next round and the player had to quickly switch to RTwP then back to TB to unlock it. And there were a few bugs with charge. I have played with it on and off, and it never blocked me.

But as I said, for mounted classes it was more serious (I don't know the details about that). Maybe it was your case?
I'd prefer to let the players themselves decide how the game is to be played by using features implemented by the developers :)

Pathfinder is an extremely complicated system - and even halfway optimizing your character is quite the challenge, even for veterans.

Calling respec a "hack for people who can't live with initial choices" (ignoring any further choice they're making down the line) is a little... Well, whatever.

But it's all good.

Sort of useless to go on about it now, anyway.

It is subjective. Thats proven by reality that we are having this discussion. Just mentioning it as Im getting strong irony vibes from your post, but I could be wrong.
By the way, Im never respeccing in RPG games, unless it would be somehow part of the story or lore. And another by the way, I played it only in TB and while some glitches were annoying, it was far, far from unplayable for me.
I'm afraid I can't agree it's subjective whether issues exist or not.

Well, maybe it is - much like our perception of reality as a whole might well be subjective.

I have to admit I smiled a little due to your "proven by reality" statement, but I take your meaning.

I can, however, certainly agree that it's subjective whether those issues are serious or not - as is the capacity to appreciate how serious issues with features you don't use can be serious for people who do use them.

But I'm glad so many people enjoyed the game without having any real problems.

Personally, I would have liked to have waited a while before using my vacation days on what I considered a nearly unplayable mess.

We all have a different tolerance to bugs, and a different experience too because of all the possible combinations. So I agree with Andrew23 that it's very subjective. As he said, the simple fact there's a strong disagreement about it is proof enough.

Calling respec a "hack for people who can't live with initial choices" (ignoring any further choice they're making down the line) is a little... Well, whatever.
It's a fact, I'm not judging. Changing the abilities of a character is a not natural evolution, it's not how it was shaped during the game experience. The player is stating that a part of this experience is not true anymore, like changing the consequences of history. Or if you prefer, you won't find rules for that in the Core Rulebook.

And it is a hack, like the mods who allowed that in Kingmaker, because it changes the nature of the character without changing the related history. If the player was a cleric and suddenly changes to rogue, it's unlikely that he/she would have had the same conversations, befriended the same people and made the same choices, yet this part remains unchanged.

I'm not saying someone is bad for doing it, players have the ultimate say in how they want to play a game. If it's too annoying to live with past decisions, or too long to restart, cheating may be a valid option. For example, I cheated occasionally during the endless battles at the end of Kingmaker because it wasn't bringing me any joy and I found them pointless, I have no shame admitting it.

As I said, it's all good.

You can repeat yourself about it being a hack as some kind of fact, if you wish - but I consider it a standard feature of convenience in modern RPGs.

That's my opinion, though - not a "fact".

Like so many other convenience features that used to not be there, including automaps, elaborate quest journals, location markers and what not.

There are as many uses for it as there are people using it - ranging from correcting uninformed choices that make planned builds impossible (I'm sure this is cheating to you) - to retrying entirely new characters without having to replay large parts of the game. Some people simply enjoy experimenting with builds, just for the hell of it.

It's not necessarily because their first build wasn't strong enough - it could be it was just boring or not really what they thought it would be. Cheating would seem to imply you can't progress without it - or you're finding something too challenging.

I'm not really concerned with whether your opinion is a judgment or not, that's your business - not mine. I just think your statement was a little rigid and elitist - which I'm also completely ok with :)

I find it's very common for people to use their own limitations to curtail the nature of what other people are doing.

In a way, I think we're all subject to being judgmental based on limited insight into the nature of how other people think and operate - whether we can admit to it or not.

In any event, I think we've established entrenched disagreement on this subject - and I'm going to leave it at that :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom