HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Cosmic Circus checked out Marvel's Midnight Suns:

Game Review: 'Marvel's Midnight Suns' - Great Story & Challenging

Game Review: 'Marvel's Midnight Suns' - Great Story & Challenging

Marvel's Midnight Suns is the latest game from the Marvel universe, developed by 2K and developed by Firaxis Games (XCOM 2) in cooperation with Marvel Games. The game faced a few delays after being announced in 2021, but now it's finally here! So is Midnight Suns worth your time, and is it a true Marvel experience?

[Note: While I am reviewing this game independently and honestly, it should be noted that a copy has been provided to me by 2K for the purpose of this review. Warning: Light spoilers from Marvel's Midnight Suns game are below!]

What is Marvel's Midnight Suns?
Marvel's Midnight Suns is a tactical RPG that features many well-known characters from the Marvel universe, as well as Easter eggs to make the experience better. Based on the Rise of the Midnight Sons comic saga from the early 1990s, the new game tells the story of Marvel heroes teaming up to stop the true evil Lilith, as the old evil Doctor Faustus of Hydra has used dark magic to resurrect her.

Sensing imminent danger, Doctor Strange and Iron Man ask Johnny Blaze for help, but due to his age and the loss of everyone he ever cared about, he refuses. Meanwhile, Lilith's dark magic is beginning to infect the world and the heroes must create a secret shield around the Sanctum Sanctorum as the last bastion to protect the realm.

Seeking more allies, their next destination is Magik's Limbo. Here they meet the all-new Midnight Suns team, which includes Magik, Blade, Robbie Reyes/Ghost Rider, and Nico Minoru/Sister Grimm. The heroes are also joined by Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel.

[...]

The most important thing for gamers who don't know much about the game is that there is no multiplayer in Marvel's Midnight Suns, as well as no microtransactions to facilitate gameplay or speed up the player's progress. The only microtransactions that exist are for premium skins for characters. Non-premium skins can be unlocked simply through the game's main story and side missions.

To be honest, I didn't have much hype for Marvel's Midnight Suns before starting the game because it looked similar to the mechanics in Marvel's mobile games. But I was so wrong. Although this game can be repetitive at times, it's definitely worth giving it a chance, especially because of the storyline and unique characters.

More information.

Yea the lack of online and MT's is a total blessing. It is also longer then I thought. I was at 60 hours and thinking I was close to end-game ... and then it said that concludes part 1 and I started part 2. For those nervous about the time, however, I obsessed over exploring, talking to everyone, upgrading things, and trying on outfits and taking screenshots constantly. If you just focused on the main story and whizzed through the other stuff it would be way shorter. I am fully enjoying myself so wanting to spend as much time in it as I can.

In hindsight, however, I would have saved a lot of the story and dialogue and spread it out longer as now that I am in part 2 I have already finished a lot of the Abbey content so its going to be more combat and less interaction. It would have been better to spread it out but I didn't know there was going to be a part 2. If I play it again I will spread it out but at that point I will already know it all so it won't be as exciting or fun.

I wish they had put up more barriers so there would be evenly distributed content throughout all parts for the Abbey exploring. Or maybe they didn't think people would focus entirely on that so much :)

Anyhow obviously a fan of the game :)

I've very much enjoyed Midnight Suns, but I am getting to a point where I feel like it might be too long. I don't know how many hours I've played, but it's a lot. I'm in part 3. I can feel myself (finally) getting tired of the fights and the overall gameplay loop, so I'm hoping I'm fairly close to the end.

I've very much enjoyed Midnight Suns, but I am getting to a point where I feel like it might be too long. I don't know how many hours I've played, but it's a lot. I'm in part 3. I can feel myself (finally) getting tired of the fights and the overall gameplay loop, so I'm hoping I'm fairly close to the end.

First PLEASE no SPOILERS if something I write below is covered or anything! Thanks in advance!

Yea I can see that a little myself already. It doesn't change my overall opinion of the game but based on you saying 3 parts then I think they could shorten the game and better spread out the content.

I like the formula for the morning, day mission, night mixture a lot. Been staying up late and taking some time off which is a sign how much I like it. But I feel many devs of games feel combat is all you need to hold interest and replay value.

Like maybe a new base for each part or at least make the Abby bigger - add a dungeon to explore in part two and maybe a pocket realm in three - plus more dialogue and companion adventures. So that for every part/chapter there is plenty to look forward to between combat missions. I finished the Abby stuff (pretty much I am assuming) at the end of part 1. Still got hero's to meet, friends to make, things to craft but exploring was so much fun for me.

Or a shorter game but different outcomes based on decisions and other ways to change up a replay. Maybe there is but don't want to know now - will find out when I finish.

Ah well I have already gotten my money's worth and then some and at least I do enjoy the combat. Not sure I will want to replay though. Will see how it all goes and comes out in the end.

I am just glad to finally find a new game I am enjoying. WOTR was the last one I think (not counting EA content in BG3 and Wartales which isn't the same thing as playing a full game officially released).

I was expecting it to become less entertaining for me but so far it hasn't. While I don't get as much exploring and interaction I still have more than expected. It simply means less wandering around at morning and night. I look forward to playing every night and totally addicted still.

That being said it's hard to explain just how well this hits so many of my favorite things and hence really gets me immersed in it. I am so loving the story and all the companions as well.

Part 3 is pretty short, thankfully as it is really not the best chapter.

Still playing a couple of missions at a time but getting less interested so my sessions are further apart, no longer every day.

I'm also no longer doing more than one general mission before story missions.

I don't like the level scaling element to the game. Feels like there's no real progression to me level wise. There is no point in levels if enemies level with you too...

My experience is different as I am experiencing a sense of progression and power. I am still very much enjoying it, was up to 2am last night playing and having a blast. I just started P3 before I went to bed.

I don't like the level scaling element to the game. Feels like there's no real progression to me level wise. There is no point in levels if enemies level with you too...
Oh, I definitely felt more powerful as the game went on. Enemies just have more hit points and do more damage as they level up. The heroes do that too, but they also get new cards and upgraded cards that give them scaling power like nothing the enemies have.

Oh, I definitely felt more powerful as the game went on. Enemies just have more hit points and do more damage as they level up. The heroes do that too, but they also get new cards and upgraded cards that give them scaling power like nothing the enemies have.
Yes, that's a bit what I mean though. The cards are what make the progression happen - not the level.

Level just gives everyone more HP and more damage - both allies and enemies. That's not progression in my view.

Yes, that's a bit what I mean though. The cards are what make the progression happen - not the level.

Level just gives everyone more HP and more damage - both allies and enemies. That's not progression in my view.
It's all progression. Why make that kind of distinction? You also get new combat items as you go along. As your relationships with heroes improve, you get better passives. It's all stuff you get better at as you play through the game's various systems.

Well, seems like you and I just see things differently.

For me if I have Hydra Elite at level 1 has 10 HP and 3 Offense and at level 2, nothing changes but their HP and Offense and the same is true for the heroes, then that's not progression, that's inflation.

The progression in strength is not due to the levels, but due to new enemy types and new cards.

I said that other things (new cards, upgraded cards, passives, etcx) are progression. Lots of games use scaling. I don't look at levels as being very consequential unless they lead to new abilities and such, which they often do. In this game, those things are separated.

Last edited:
There is more to progressing a character then just their level. The characters definitely grow and develop over time. It's a pretty good system actually as it blends in really nicely with the story and the other characters. All woven in as you move along. It feels like the missions, friendships, research, exploring ... all comes together to move things along and help your character grow and progress.

I don't feel like either of you are actually reading what I'm saying.

I agree other elements offer progression, just not the level system. It feels like a system that has no purpose. Not sure how else to put it.

I agree other elements offer progression, just not the level system. It feels like a system that has no purpose. Not sure how else to put it.
I get what you're saying. I just don't think it matters very much. There are lots of games where the level doesn't matter (because enemies scale with you) except that you unlock perks or spells or whatever. In this game, they've separated the acquisition of those abilties from your level.

There is one place where level does matter:
the challenges you do with Charlie to get the four powers you use around the Abbey; those encounters don't scale to your level.

Oh ... I totally misunderstood what you were saying. I thought you were trying to say there was no real progression at all or that the only progression that mattered were levels.

In this case I can understand your point. If everything is scaling to level then it does make it less important, at least for combat. Levels seem to be tied into other things so while it may not matter as much in combat they (devs) appear to use it in other ways that are important.

Just finished at 111.7 hours. Damn good game even if I did not like the ending. I mean it was very good, excellent even, as far as endings go but not what I had hoped for. I was hoping to play it a second time but that won't be an option now. Ah well.

On my own personal rating scale the game gets a 9. It would have been a 10 except for the ending. Some of the best 100+ hours I have ever spent in a game in the past 5 years or so. I have no regrets about the time invested and had a blast playing.

I hope they do a sequel although sequels are always hard as they tend to change things. Just look at DA1 to DA3 :p

Back
Top Bottom