Jagged Alliance 3 - Release Day

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The long awaited Jagged Alliance 3 will be released today:

Jagged Alliance 3

Grand Chien, a nation of rich natural resources and deep political divides, is thrown into chaos when the elected president goes missing and a paramilitary force known as "The Legion" seizes control of the countryside. Now, the President's family has pulled together all their resources, including an arrangement with the powerful Adonis corporation, to hire a group of skilled mercenaries tasked with finding the President and bringing order back to the country.

In Jagged Alliance 3, select from a huge cast of mercenaries all with their own unique personalities, quirks, and backstories. Then go out and explore Grand Chien as you meet new people, earn money, grow your team, and ultimately make your own decisions that will decide the country's fate.

FEATURES

• Engage in rich, tactical turn-based combat
  • Recruit from a large cast of unique mercenaries, including many familiar fan favorites
  • Loot, salvage, and customize an arsenal of weaponry and equipment
  • Choose from a wide array of special perks to customize your mercs as they level up
  • Decide the fate of Grand Chien in an open RPG structure
  • Control territory, train the locals, command multiple parties, and defend against enemy forces in an alive, active world
  • Experience the campaign with friends in online co-op mode

More information.

Same here, it's 14.5 GB to download, so not too big.

And the release trailer:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rza9Oou-XP8

Downloading the GOG version hope it gets patched.:fingerscrossed:

It was cheaper due to store credit from a past game they refunded. Still yeah after what happened with Expeditions: Rome I'm right to be worried. Second times a charm.:anxious:

And, of course, it's made for QWERTY keyboards. Sounds like it'll be a refund.

EDIT: Looks like they're very responsive on Discord, though they're a bit overwhelmed and don't read the problem descriptions very well. ;) I could find a few workarounds so I'll keep it and cross fingers for a patch. Why do I have to be in that part of the world? *sighs* The game looks, sounds, and feels very nice but I'll have to try that in more depth later.

Last edited:
I assume you use AZERTY (in which case, bonjour :D). Are the controls not changeable? I started using ESDF instead of WASD for movement/camera movement and I find it a little annoying when you can't remap the controls. On PC.

I assume you use AZERTY (in which case, bonjour :D). Are the controls not changeable? I started using ESDF instead of WASD for movement/camera movement and I find it a little annoying when you can't remap the controls. On PC.
Salut :) You can rebind the keys, but the change is apparently not taken into account in the map (the satellite view), which is the first part of the game you see. In the isometric view, everything seems fine. I haven't tested much, so it's hard to tell if other keys are hard-coded. It looks like 1-9 are used for actions, but they're working.

For now, you can use the middle mouse button to drag the map instead, so nothing appears to be blocking. There was another French player on Discord who said he didn't have any other problem.

Don't forget to click on [A]pply after rebinding the keys, because otherwise the game will discard them without any warning. ;)

Strange steam reviews on this one, several reviews already 'reviewing' other reviews to defend the game. Here's an excerpt from one

"Posted: July 14
Even tough i refunded after 55 minutes i will give this game a thumbs up...

and i bet you will have a decent time in it if you buy it"

No idea about this game but it is already f*cking with people's heads...

So how's everybody doing on the country of Grand ChienAboyeur? No, wait....

I've played a little (just a little over 2 hours), finished the first part, and now the game is opening a little.

My first impression is rather good. The combat is interesting and tactical, with cover, elevated places, and varied actions. The enemy seems a little dumb, though, but perhaps they become stronger later in the game. The story and dialogues are fine: it's not too much or too little, and it's possible to ask multiple questions to NPCs, which gives more information, leads to other questions, and sometimes C&C (the game warns you when it may have important consequences later in the game). I haven't done much at a higher level, like managing the mercs and so on, but it looks varied and fun. There's frequent banter during the exploration, the combat, and sometimes during conversations.

A few elements are a little less polished but it's nothing major. For instance, the camera is sometimes hesitant during combat when showing the enemy moves (the character got out of the screen a couple of times). Or when I had 3 mercs on a roof, I had to increase the floor level of the camera each time I switched character, or it wouldn't show the roof. And, unless I missed something, you have to guess a few things because either the tutorial only explains them later or not at all.

EDIT: The music is very nice; it will be available on Spotify this Monday.

I can give super brief impressions...it is a beautiful looking game. Great detail and gorgeous graphics. I like how there is little fish swimming around in the ocean, these kinds of small details are all over the place. The other quick awesome thing is how far you can zoom in and zoom out, its good to excellent in both aspects. Its definitely better than other isometric games such as the Pathfinder games in this aspect...you can zoom far out and zoom in pretty damn close. This of course makes the eye candy graphics even better, as they maintain their attractive look in both viewpoints.

The UI is busy, but full of information. It is nicely designed, but yea, its kinda busy. They have the middle part of the interface fade automatically when not needed in exploration - a nice and thoughtful touch.

The map is well designed. It's a big overhead view of the landmass map and you can travel where you want. Make sure to study the overland map, there are small important details to it as well. Just my first impressions in terms of the general presentation is extremely good. As mentioned, the music is awesome - it fits the "tropical adventure/thriller" theme to a tee. I can already tell this will be a game to play for a long time, it seems vast in scope.

I have been playing for a bit (cleared the first island) and the game is great. I am playing on the highest difficulty for now and I'm not finding it too hard - although I am guessing the first island is meant as a tutorial so we will see how it goes when I get to the mainland. I don't think any of my mercs have taken a proper hit yet apart from 2-3 scratches but I am mostly using stealthy characters and have gotten a ton of stealth kills. One my characters seems to have a perk that means if they attack from stealth it always puts the enemy into "Suprised" mode which is proving to be very useful with some pre-planning.

And, of course, it's made for QWERTY keyboards. Sounds like it'll be a refund.

EDIT: Looks like they're very responsive on Discord, though they're a bit overwhelmed and don't read the problem descriptions very well. ;) I could find a few workarounds so I'll keep it and cross fingers for a patch. Why do I have to be in that part of the world? *sighs* The game looks, sounds, and feels very nice but I'll have to try that in more depth later.
I would suggest buying a qwerty keyboard at this point 😂

Seems to happen on a lot of games you want to play.

The island isn't hard, 3 recruit mercs (the lowest level) were enough with the normal difficulty. Two are actually medics, but Fox is actually quite good with weapons too.

I would suggest buying a qwerty keyboard at this point 😂

Seems to happen on a lot of games you want to play.
Devs are getting lazy. In this case it's just lack of testing: they implemented key rebinding but some actions are apparently hard-coded. And it's the first thing you see in the game after selecting mercs.

Yeah, I could take a QWERTY but it's annoying when I have to type in French.
So I'd need a whole computer just for games. Hmm. 🤔

Back
Top Bottom