Jagged Alliance 3 - Release Day

Devs are getting lazy. In this case it's just lack of testing: they implemented key rebinding but some actions are apparently hard-coded. And it's the first thing you see in the game after selecting mercs.

Yeah, I could take a QWERTY but it's annoying when I have to type in French.
So I'd need a whole computer just for games. Hmm. 🤔
Do it!

Back on topic, this one is my wishlist, but I may wait for full reviews from people here. I also have so many other games to play that I'm not in a rush with this one.

Do it!

Back on topic, this one is my wishlist, but I may wait for full reviews from people here. I also have so many other games to play that I'm not in a rush with this one.
If you're not in a hurry and if you haven't pre-purchased it, it's always good to wait for the first patches. I didn't see any glaring bug, but there are a few cosmetic and QoL things they may want to iron out.

I think that's a game people will like. It reminds me a little of Expeditions: Rome, probably in part thanks to the good care of THQ Nordic during the development and the good atmosphere around it, but also because of its tactical / light strategic feeling. With the JA1/JA2 aura, it will hopefully have more success here (which is why I suggested a JA3 tag in the RPG forums - I don't suppose you have the rights to do that?).

Devs are getting lazy. In this case it's just lack of testing: they implemented key rebinding but some actions are apparently hard-coded. And it's the first thing you see in the game after selecting mercs.

Yeah, I could take a QWERTY but it's annoying when I have to type in French.
So I'd need a whole computer just for games. Hmm. 🤔
You can just install a different keyboard language and easily switch between languages for individual programs or via hotkey alt+shift, thats just standard windows implementation, no extra programs.
Thats super useful, also if you play like jam games and whatnot ^^
Also often used that on games to open console for example which was often at the key left of 1, which often doesnt work on German keyboard.

If you're not in a hurry and if you haven't pre-purchased it, it's always good to wait for the first patches. I didn't see any glaring bug, but there are a few cosmetic and QoL things they may want to iron out.

I think that's a game people will like. It reminds me a little of Expeditions: Rome, probably in part thanks to the good care of THQ Nordic during the development and the good atmosphere around it, but also because of its tactical / light strategic feeling. With the JA1/JA2 aura, it will hopefully have more success here (which is why I suggested a JA3 tag in the RPG forums - I don't suppose you have the rights to do that?).
Not that I know of :D

With the JA1/JA2 aura, it will hopefully have more success here (which is why I suggested a JA3 tag in the RPG forums - I don't suppose you have the rights to do that?).
You have to be the site administrator/super moderator to modify forum thread format. Used to be Myrthos. How do I know that well ran my own small forum site for a year.

Edit: That would be Taluntain now that Myrthos retired.

Last edited:
It was cheaper due to store credit from a past game they refunded. Still yeah after what happened with Expeditions: Rome I'm right to be worried. Second times a charm.:anxious:
I got gog because I like gog better. But with a few mods on Steam's workshop, even a dev made one for hit chance, and none on nexus yet I'm regretting not getting the steam version for this game.

But what a great game! I've been having an absolute blast. I restarted like four times so far. I think I like my team and leader now. They nailed it. This a better Jagged Alliance 2. I have forgiving on and I still keep getting slaughtered. I love having to think, and plan, and try, and even having to go back to earlier saves. I got caught in the area east of the starting town when a new squad arrived from the fort and no matter what I did I just couldn't beat them all. Save spamming was no help at all. I had to go back to an earlier save, wait for the squad to hit the town, then proceed after.

Salut :) You can rebind the keys, but the change is apparently not taken into account in the map (the satellite view), which is the first part of the game you see. In the isometric view, everything seems fine. I haven't tested much, so it's hard to tell if other keys are hard-coded. It looks like 1-9 are used for actions, but they're working.

For now, you can use the middle mouse button to drag the map instead, so nothing appears to be blocking. There was another French player on Discord who said he didn't have any other problem.

Don't forget to click on [A]pply after rebinding the keys, because otherwise the game will discard them without any warning. ;)
Ah, I see. A lot of games do that and it's really annoying having to switch from ESDF to WASD when you open up a map for example.

I know that Skyrim does this but it can be fixed with a mod which let's rebind pretty much all controls in all contexts (menu, inventory, in-game, etc). It's actually a txt file that is I believe present in vanilla Skyrim and you can edit that to change the controls that are not available in game settings. Maybe something like that is also possible for JA3.

Ah, I see. A lot of games do that and it's really annoying having to switch from ESDF to WASD when you open up a map for example.

I know that Skyrim does this but it can be fixed with a mod which let's rebind pretty much all controls in all contexts (menu, inventory, in-game, etc). It's actually a txt file that is I believe present in vanilla Skyrim and you can edit that to change the controls that are not available in game settings. Maybe something like that is also possible for JA3.
It's often a text file, but I haven't found where JA3 was hiding the key bindings. I found where the saved files were, and there's a binary file with come client configuration data that might be that, but it's not clear. Either way, not easily editable to change key settings. ;)

After playing a while, I didn't find that a big issue, though. You can use ESDF, except in the satellite view for now, and I didn't need to pan the camera often in that view; doing it with the mouse was OK.

Ok, not a big issue then, I usually use the mouse to navigate the map screens in games. I see that it can also be played with a controller, so I might do that as well.

Back
Top Bottom